Combat

Since there are no obvious graphic feature worth mentioning
(colour, texture, composition, or design elements), I went for
the ever so precious story telling approach in this shot and…

Nope, I don't see the point.
Else than the mean look opposed to the flower power presence,
the old holy knee opposed to the new mp3 player, the military
coat opposed to the sporty shoes…

Else than the mean look opposed to the flower power presence,

Gosh, really? The juxtaposition of the mean look and the flowers was kinda obvious to me..

The juxtaposition of the mean look and the flowers was kinda obvious to me

Well, I've seen it too as I mentioned but, in the picture, the
context does not support the communication aspect of it.
Maybe a partial conversion, a tighter crop, or else…

Well, I've seen it too as I mentioned but, in the picture, the
context does not support the communication aspect of it.
Maybe a partial conversion, a tighter crop, or else…

Like Kodiak, I don't see it either.
I see lots of random photos of random people on here and wonder why.
Mind you this is a better random photo than lots of them.
Maybe I just don't get most "Street" Photography, I would like to be enlightened, so shout out any really good street photographers so I can google them

Interesting thoughts as always guys. The strange thing is that with this one I would have thought the story or point was more obvious than with some of my stuff. It's all about the incongruity of the chap and his appearance, and the flowers. It's enhanced by the angry stare. But I can see why it won't work for everyone. Thanks again guys.

Maybe I just don't get most "Street" Photography, I would like to be enlightened, so shout out any really good street photographers so I can google them

Google magnum photos and inpublic as that's a good start. If you find the above a little strange, you may be in for a shock as some street stuff is utterly random and, well, just a little weird. Don't get me wrong, I like different and eclectic, but it pushes my boundaries too.
My favourite street photographer is Gary Winograd. Love his stuff. But if you want more traditional stuff, check out Don McCullin's work. Simply superb.

Garry Winogrand for one. Or, totally different style, Bruce Gilden. It's a Genre I'm starting to take notice of.

And I do totally get it by the way. I might have cropped the right side a bit, just to try to give the shadow a bit more emphasis. May or may not work. Nice one any way Ifc.

… just an idea…

Combatpp.jpg

Great look on his face! I wonder if it's because he's being photographed, or because he's being photographed with flowers? :D

Personally, I'd keep the bottom of the picture in. I think the litter at the roadside adds to the urban-ness, if you know what I mean.

"Urban cool dude street cred nosedive". Haha, yes, I like it.

Last edited:
Great look on his face! I wonder if it's because he's being photographed, or because he's being photographed with flowers? :D

Personally, I'd keep the bottom of the picture in. I think the litter at the roadside adds to the urban-ness, if you know what I mean.

"Urban cool dude street cred nosedive". Haha, yes, I like it.

Haha that was my first thought too, being photographed with flowers lol! :D

I like it, I like the kinda tough hard life image but the gentleness with flowers

… just an idea…

Combatpp.jpg

Little too simple for my tastes. I think it needs a little imbalance around it to make the central comp work, hence leaving in the top right and bottom left. Only thing that niggles me in the original is the feeling of dead dove bottom right. But hopefully the character is strong enough to take attention.
Thank you for the thoughts and suggestion though. Always appreciated.

Last edited:
Gilden isa great shout as he really splits opinion. Some great results but if you watch him in action, many would disagree with his methods and ethics. I
Couldn't do it myself.

Ethics? I think he's on video saying he doesn't have any lol. But you are right he does split opinion. I like a lot of his stuff, but also couldn't do it myself. This is as close as I've got. So far lol
_DSC2242 by Lionel Mitchell, on Flickr

Google magnum photos and inpublic as that's a good start. If you find the above a little strange, you may be in for a shock as some street stuff is utterly random and, well, just a little weird. Don't get me wrong, I like different and eclectic, but it pushes my boundaries too.
My favourite street photographer is Gary Winograd. Love his stuff. But if you want more traditional stuff, check out Don McCullin's work. Simply superb.

Thanks for those suggestions. I have looked at some of Gary Winograd Photos and I can see some appeal in a retro way and some sort of story.

Garry Winogrand for one. Or, totally different style, Bruce Gilden. It's a Genre I'm starting to take notice of.

Bruce Gilden is certainly a very different style and not one that appeals to me.

Thanks for the links, something to spend some time researching

I like it. It's a very strong image, not only due to the seemingly angry stare (did she refuse the flowers?) but also the military style coat vs flowers. It's a simple strong composition and the subtle shadow also plays a part in the visual balance.

Cropping it, especially as tightly as Kodiak has suggested, spoils all the strength and impact.

Very nice as is :)

Thanks for the input guys.
Interesting though on the clutter top right and it's one I can't decide on. I think something there is needed for balance as the shot starts to get left heavy otherwise, but maybe I can reduce the contrast in that section to dull it down a touch.

Thanks as always

Love your pics; the mean mutha look with flowers for granny contrast is great.
Would like to approach street photography, but don't have the gonads.

Thanks..

I got the angry stare to mean he doesn't like being photographed by a stranger?!

Thanks guys. Always used to clone clutter out but tend to leave it in now as its just how the street is.
Not quite sure why the stare came out as it did as he was fine a few seconds later, I just happened to manage to click as he grimaced.
some would argue that to be true street work, one would have to get even closer than I do (almost all my stuff is done on a 25mm m43 lens), but getting out there and just giving it a go is the trickiest bit. Once you gain confidence it gets easier to start taking shots, and then the fun starts.

Back