Compact camera for my father?

Name
Alex Burge
Edit My Images
Yes
Good afternoon all!

i was wondering if anyone can suggest a good compact camera for my dad?
he currently has a Fuji F455 but find the shutter response very slow. he is also looking for more manual adjustbility and better quality.
i know this is a mine field and there are so many out there to choose from i am lost from looking lol.
he pretty much takes his camera everywhere so size is definately an issue and wouldnt wasnt anything bigger than his current camera.
anyone have any personal experience of a good one? the G9 is out of his price range(though he hasnt said what he does want to spend!) and i little big for what he wants.

all suggestions greatly appreciated... (y)

If he wants some manual controls look at the any of the Canon Powershot range. The Fuji F50 offers some control.

thanks outlaw.

was wondering if anyone can recommend a specific model or has personal experience?

There certainly not the cheapest but take a look at the Canon G9, its got full manual, Av, Tv, macro and full auto settings. Was given the digital photo gold award in this months magazine.

I have had mine for a couple of weeks, its a great camera. And it shoots in raw as a bonus.

There certainly not the cheapest but take a look at the Canon G9, its got full manual, Av, Tv, macro and full auto settings. Was given the digital photo gold award in this months magazine.

I have had mine for a couple of weeks, its a great camera. And it shoots in raw as a bonus.

A little big for his pocket in both price and size im afraid and raw would be lost on him lol. bloody tempted to get myself one though lol

Have you considered the Ricoh R8 which is currently £180 here:
http://www.ukdigitalcameras.co.uk/prod.asp?i=4527&srccode=cii_18510613&cpncode=18-8977916-2

or £190 after £50 cashback from Jessops here:
http://www.jessops.com/Store/s73853.../Ricoh/R8-Digital-Camera-(Black)/details.aspx
And there is a 10% discount code for online sales : CAMERAS10, so you'd pay £216 and then get £50 cashback, so final price = £166

If you use the cashback sites, you might be able to save a few more £ as well.

hi

In early April, Julie got a Canon powershot A720 IS, for £139.98 with a 128mb card and also a free 1gb card and a camera bag, from amazon and got £30 cash back, she is very pleased with it, I also think it takes great photos, give a couple of mins and I'll show you a couple of pics from it

Pics from Julies canon A720 straight from the camera, and her first go with a digital camera she liked it, she took at least 200 pics, usually she takes 1 35mm disposable camera on holiday and isn't really into photography

2501829211_d2eed682de.jpg

15ft away below

2501839409_8c0e03be0b.jpg

2501833107_c89276b8a7.jpg

This was about 20ft away

2501841353_1ef8c5f5a7.jpg

Dave

thanks for your input (y)
i like the sound of it but he is now looking at the canon ixus 75...
anyone got one/used one?

thanks for your input (y)
i like the sound of it but he is now looking at the canon ixus 75...
anyone got one/used one?

Great camera - with a big lcd screen. Possibly also look at the Ixus 80 which has a slightly smaller screen, but an optical viewfinder as well.

any photo examples?

Back