Compact Camera

Name
Taff
Edit My Images
No
I am looking for an 'advanced' compact camera for use on a forthcoming cruise and for shore excursions. It's an Asian cruise and humidity and the temperatures will be hot. It would be a camera that I would continue to use for holidays and such. I have read about the Sony RX, Canon G7X, been recommended a G1X, G3X and a few others. I don't want to go down the route of interchangeable lenses as I already have a DSLR (5D3 with a few L lenses) already but due to weight restrictions, I am limited in what I can take.

I'm open to any advice please. I seem to make my mind up, then read a review and change my mind, again and again...

I welcome any advice, thank you!

Last edited:
I've not had an RX100 but I looked at both the RX100 III and G7X together and settled on the G7X. For probably the first time ever, I am now happy to have a minor sacrifice in quality for the benefit of not lugging around a DSLR.

I've owned a G1X for a couple of years and have been very impressed with the quality of its results. Its disadvantages are, speed, it's slow and its weight and size compared with other 'compacts'. I'm very tempted myself by the RX100 and possibly the G7X due mainly to their much more convenient speed size and weight. However the quality of the G1's results especially at higher ISO numbers keeps me dragging it around. It seems that sensors are still like engines in that size still counts.

There are loads of threads on this already, just search Sony RX100 etc!

FWIW I have the Sony RX100 as my travel companion and its superb.

That said, it's nowhere near as enjoyable and satisfying to use as any of my DSLRs. Having that connection with your subject, through the OVF rather than holding it ahead of you looking at a screen isn't the same...

Last edited:
i have problems seeing an LCD in the sun, so -
fuji x30: electronic viewfinder, not really pocketable, silent.
sony rx100 iii: pop-up electronic viewfinder, pocketable, zooming the lens makes a faint noise. large sensor.

I have a G1X II and it's a very capable camera, I changed to this from a G16 which I liked but missed a tilt screen. Good thing about the G1X II is the filter thread for attaching a polariser which unlike some of the other cameras you've short listed do not have. Only downside is it's not very pocketable and is a little heavy, but with compacts I find you can't have it all.

Panasonic LF1 seems to be a bit of a bargain. It is a small sensor jobbie but doesn't seem to be too bad and has the same sensor as the latest LXx (I think) and a useable EVF.

I have a ricoh gr and couldn't be more pleased with it. The buttons and menu are very customisable and it's the smallest aps-c sensored camera available. If size and weight are an issue then I think you should consider the ricoh.

I'm also looking at a RX100 M3 or G7X. Theres quite a price difference and not sure if the Sony is worth the extra

I'm also looking at a RX100 M3 or G7X. Theres quite a price difference and not sure if the Sony is worth the extra

I think it is.

Having owned both, I can tell you that the G7X is a great camera but I found the Sony better for macro, noise levels and sharpness.

Canon had more reach, arguably better colours and better bokeh at the tele end.

This flower was taken with the Sony. No PP and straight out of the camera.

.DSC09192.JPG

DSC00733.JPG

This Canon example is not too bad, but it tends to "bloom" too much wide open @ 24mm affecting the finer detail. Both have nice bokeh wide open.

Highly recommend the Ricoh GR. tiny camera with a aps-c size sensor. Very popular with street shooters.

image.jpg image.jpg

Thanks all for the suggestions and images. There seems to be a mix of pros and cons with each, personal choices and I would be best to go and try a few (like I did with my first DSLR). I have taken in all your comments and suggestions, though. I did a bit of investigation on the micro 4/3 compact system, which I knew nothing about although by the time I added some lenses, I think it would become a very expensive system. The camera doesn't need to be pocket size but in the opposite end I don't want to have to haul the 5D with 2 or 3 F4 L lenses about and give the impression of a 'loaded' tourist' or a 'Pro', which I am neither! It has also been suggested to look at the G3X, somewhat more expensive but with a 24-600 zoom. My wife also suggests a small camcorder as well as she thinks maybe useful which I assuming can be used on return to make stills? However would the video function on these compacts do the job or would it be better to consider the separate camcorder idea. Questions, questions....

Open to all suggestions, many thanks

I suppose it all depends on how good you want your videos to be. The G7X is OK, but that is the only camera I have that shoots video, although I am not a great video taker. It's been handy for some vids of my daughter though, and I find I have taken far more shots of her on my G7X than my DSLR since I got it last year, as the compact is usually to hand. The DSLR now tends to get reserved for proper outings to see the things I want to photograph. Whilst I don't use it so much now, I don't like the idea of not having a DSLR, so I'm still looking at getting a 70D in the near future.

Image quality from my little Panasonic LX7:
FGR v Southport 12th September 2015 by Jeff, on Flickr

Hard not to be impressed with that quality!

I have a Sony RX100 M3. Still feeling out its capabilities. In some ways it wows me and in others less so, but I need to give it time and it could be that my expectations are too high.

Hard not to be impressed with that quality!

I have a Sony RX100 M3. Still feeling out its capabilities. In some ways it wows me and in others less so, but I need to give it time and it could be that my expectations are too high.
if you would elaborate on this it would be appreciated both the strengths and weaknesses

if you would elaborate on this it would be appreciated both the strengths and weaknesses

I've posted elsewhere about this (and apologies to those who have seen these images before) but basically took it with me on a recent overnight business trip to London - I'd been about two weeks previously and brought my D800, plus Manfrotto BeFree travel tripod and a couple of lenses, and knackered my back by walking around too much with a heavy rucksack hanging off one shoulder - hence next time it was just the RX100 plus a small Gorillapod. I got what I thought were surprisingly good results - not as impressive as a DSLR but better than I expected - like this one:

Under the Bridge by Brian M, on Flickr

I also had the camera with me at my son's wedding - when it would clearly have been impractical for me to be lugging around my D800. I was very happy with what it produced that day - see here from the RX100 thread:Sony RX100

However I struggle at times with the very small form factor (which I accept is one of its big pluses in terms of "pocketability") and, when I used it recently in a well-lit (mixture of natural and artificial light) room and utilised the zoom fully, I was very disappointed in the lack of sharpness and, when I cropped in, in the level of noise in the images. I accept that mixed lighting presents particular challenges and using the full zoom increases the risk of camera shake, but I couldn't help but compare it with what my D800 would've produced in that environment....

Then again that same day I whipped said RX100 out of my pocket again on the way home and was very happy with the results:

DSC00912 by Brian M, on Flickr

DSC00923 by Brian M, on Flickr

DSC00938 by Brian M, on Flickr

I've posted elsewhere about this (and apologies to those who have seen these images before) but basically took it with me on a recent overnight business trip to London - I'd been about two weeks previously and brought my D800, plus Manfrotto BeFree travel tripod and a couple of lenses, and knackered my back by walking around too much with a heavy rucksack hanging off one shoulder - hence next time it was just the RX100 plus a small Gorillapod. I got what I thought were surprisingly good results - not as impressive as a DSLR but better than I expected - like this one:

Under the Bridge by Brian M, on Flickr

I also had the camera with me at my son's wedding - when it would clearly have been impractical for me to be lugging around my D800. I was very happy with what it produced that day - see here from the RX100 thread:Sony RX100

However I struggle at times with the very small form factor (which I accept is one of its big pluses in terms of "pocketability") and, when I used it recently in a well-lit (mixture of natural and artificial light) room and utilised the zoom fully, I was very disappointed in the lack of sharpness and, when I cropped in, in the level of noise in the images. I accept that mixed lighting presents particular challenges and using the full zoom increases the risk of camera shake, but I couldn't help but compare it with what my D800 would've produced in that environment....

Then again that same day I whipped said RX100 out of my pocket again on the way home and was very happy with the results:

DSC00912 by Brian M, on Flickr

DSC00923 by Brian M, on Flickr

DSC00938 by Brian M, on Flickr

I find the occasional lack of sharpness when using full zoom is nearly always down to camera movement, as it can be a tricky little thing to hold steady at the best of times. I've adjusted my technique now (simply the way I hold it when on a long zoom) and its given me a much better keeper rate.

Even on a Gorillapod the slightest movement, such as the shutter press, at full zoom can induce enough movement to kill the image.

And remember, you can't compare it to a D800, its still a compact :)

Last edited:
thank you both, so to surmise a lack of sharpness (probably movement related) is the down side on occasion?

thank you both, so to surmise a lack of sharpness (probably movement related) is the down side on occasion?

It's almost certainly down to camera movent and user error - I'm happy to concede that. I have so far resisted fitting the optional grip that apparently is a very worthwhile addition - only because its bulk would prevent me from using the Sony case that I got with the camera - but I might have cave in on that one!

Another happy RX100 [Mk 1] user here. The stick on grip is a worthwhile addition, it doesn't add much bulk, but it does make it a no-go for the custom case.

I've not found any lack of sharpness that wasn't my fault :)

It's sharper than a very sharp tack!

It's almost certainly down to camera movent and user error - I'm happy to concede that. I have so far resisted fitting the optional grip that apparently is a very worthwhile addition - only because its bulk would prevent me from using the Sony case that I got with the camera - but I might have cave in on that one!
I've not found any lack of sharpness that wasn't my fault :)

It's sharper than a very sharp tack!
cheers guys,good info
Another happy RX100 [Mk 1] user here. The stick on grip is a worthwhile addition, it doesn't add much bulk, but it does make it a no-go for the custom case.
thank you

Back