Sony RX100

No not software, but widest aperture you can get at something like 50mm or so, to throw background out. Although I know the MK1 might struggle a little, or would it? Will jump back and sift through older posts on this thread, :) ta
I think at 50mm with the mk1 it drops to f/3.2. It does still do a pretty reasonable job at throwing the bg out.

The mono shot of the bouquet was shot about that though with a different FL.

Last edited:
...and are you M3 owners finding that 70mm is enough at the long end for what this is - a walkabout, take anywhere zoom?

Also, can anyone tell me at which distance the lens steps down from 1.8 to 2.8?

TIA

In addition to the link that Marie posted, I've just checked my MkIII in Aperture Priority mode and it's stays at f/1.8 to 24mm, then goes to f/2.0 at 25mm.

I think at 50mm with the mk1 it drops to f/3.2. It does still do a pretty reasonable job at throwing the bg out.

The mono shot of the bouquet was shot about that though with a different FL.
Thanks Jim, going to have a look at photos now :)

This evening sunset. Shot in raw and processed in PS6

11885743_1094023330622798_897933680817364070_o.jpg

Well I couldn't resist any more. Bought an RX100 M3 from Calumet for £419 after cash back. Can't wait!

Good for you. I still feel that I haven't got the best from mine yet - I need to use it more for the purpose intended, which was for overnight business trips and as an alternative to bringing DSLR and travel tripod on such trips. Last week I took my D800, travel tripod and two lenses to London and lugged them about for two evenings. My back is still recovering! I'm back in London next week and it's definitely the RX100 that's coming with me!

There's an RX100 mk1 for sale over on avforums for £180 delivered if anyone is interested. Looks mint and the seller has high feedback so should be fine.

Had my RX100 M3 with me yesterday at my son's wedding - so much handier than my Nikon D800 given that I was father of the groom and there were two official photographers there anyway. It coped very well with a variety of conditions.

IMG_6711.JPG IMG_6717.JPG IMG_6722.JPG IMG_6753.JPG IMG_6758.JPG

Last edited:
Those are all jpegs SOOC and I was particularly impressed with how easy it was to transfer them direct from camera to iPhone to allow me to iMessage them to my sister who was too unwell to travel - direct from the event.

Did a Snapseed mono conversion of just one (below).

FullSizeRender 5.jpg

It even coped with the fireworks!

IMG_6918.JPG

some lovely shots there, i really like the wicker heart and the candle for some reason:cool:

Thanks - Yeah the f/1.8 aperture worked well with those. I see now on the large screen that the mono one could be sharper - but that's karma as it was a shot set up by the official photographer. :)

Nice photos psybear. Should be getting mine tomorrow if all goes well and your photos has got me even more excited!

Well I couldn't resist any more. Bought an RX100 M3 from Calumet for £419 after cash back. Can't wait!

Me too! (-: Too "cheap" to resist......

Me three - order submitted late last night (just before the £50 off expired), after spending a good couple of hours ummming and ahhhhing about whether I should do it or not :confused:

The wife will go mental if (when!) she finds out, but what the hell, at £419 it was too good a deal to turn down. It will be perfect for taking to Disney next year :)

@Shoot Em Up how long after ordering did you get confirmation of shipping? Cheers

Now to find a decent 3rd party external charger and spare battery, maybe a grip or case too...

Last edited:
Me three - order submitted late last night (just before the £50 off expired), after spending a good couple of hours ummming and ahhhhing about whether I should do it or not :confused:

The wife will go mental if (when!) she finds out, but what the hell, at £419 it was too good a deal to turn down. It will be perfect for taking to Disney next year :)

@Shoot Em Up how long after ordering did you get confirmation of shipping? Cheers

Now to find a decent 3rd party external charger and spare battery, maybe a grip or case too...

I ordered on Friday and was expecting it today but after speaking to them online, it hadn't been dispatched. Looks like I missed the delivery cut-off time so it should be here tomorrow. Not sure about shipping email, my wife ordered it so I'll ask her.

I enquired before ordering and apparently Calumet never holds stock of the RX100iii, they only order from Sony once you actually place your order.

I wanted to know in case it would affect my ability to claim the cashback from Sony (must purchase by 6/9/15). Calumet's response said I could expect to receive the camera in 5-10 days, hence why I was curious how you had managed to get yours so quickly after ordering.

I enquired before ordering and apparently Calumet never holds stock of the RX100iii, they only order from Sony once you actually place your order.

I wanted to know in case it would affect my ability to claim the cashback from Sony (must purchase by 6/9/15). Calumet's response said I could expect to receive the camera in 5-10 days, hence why I was curious how you had managed to get yours so quickly after ordering.

I haven't got mine yet and no shipping confirmation email either so now I'm not sure if it is going to arrive tomorrow. If it doesn't and it is a 5-10 days wait then I'll be cancelling the order and picking one up from a high street store as I'm hoping to have it before I go on holiday.

As long as your order date is before 6/9/15, the delivery date should be irrelevant for your cash back claim.

Lovely pictures and a lovely looking dog we have a Sprocker spaniel who has the same colourings and has bundles of energy!!

Andy

Thanks Andy,

Jess is slowing down now, she is 10.5 years old but thankfully still fit & active.

Thanks for that - will check it out :)

I haven't got mine yet and no shipping confirmation email either so now I'm not sure if it is going to arrive tomorrow. If it doesn't and it is a 5-10 days wait then I'll be cancelling the order and picking one up from a high street store as I'm hoping to have it before I go on holiday.

As long as your order date is before 6/9/15, the delivery date should be irrelevant for your cash back claim.
I just checked their website and it was showing as 1 in stock (despite what they told me about never having any in stock), so I dropped them a line and enquired when I might expect mine delivered and they replied instantly to say that 1 in stock would be allocated to me and posted out tomorrow for Thursday delivery. Pretty impressed with their customer service tbh. Hopefully yours will be landing with you tomorrow in time for your hols ;)

Yeah, they told me that so long as I ordered before the cash back deadline then it would be fine.

Received my Rx100 mk 3 a couple of days ago.

Here are some early shots of my favourite subject (my working cocker spaniel Jess)

All shot raw.

i-R7LKGRV.jpg

i-tLgFSwp.jpg

i-36cX7qk.jpg

What a gorgeous dog and some lovely shots that make me even happier that I went ahead and ordered one of these wee pocketable beauties (y)

Plus it's annoying how pushing it back down again shuts off the camera. But I still find it useful.
Apparently you can avoid the camera powering down by holding in the power button as you close the EVF. Haven't received my M3 to verify that yet, but it might help

Apparently you can avoid the camera powering down by holding in the power button as you close the EVF. Haven't received my M3 to verify that yet, but it might help

Just tried this on my M3, doesn't work ! hold down the power button and surprise, surprise . . . . . . the camera switches off.

Just tried this on my M3, doesn't work ! hold down the power button and surprise, surprise . . . . . . the camera switches off.
do you have the latest firmware? i dont know if its an update feature but it sounds like a "bolt on"

do you have the latest firmware? i dont know if its an update feature but it sounds like a "bolt on"

Yes, firmware vers is 1.20 which as far as I can find is the latest.

Roy, she is stunning, beautiful colouring.

Sadly, our old boy Jake (now nearly 15) is riddled with cancerous tumours, and we know the end is near for him, but he has given so much over the years and has been (and still is) a superb companion for us.

Here's one of him a couple of years ago looking a little better (on my Nikon 1 system I had then - same sized sensors as the RX100 series I believe ?)

Yes, firmware vers is 1.20 which as far as I can find is the latest.
The trick is to lower the EVF and then immediately press the power button - it does work! But there is a knack. Timing is everything.

Re Calumet, I ordered Friday - it hadn't arrived by yesterday so I phoned them. They checked and told me it was out for delivery - I got it by lunchtime. The reason they gave for the delay was the English Bank Holiday.

really tempted to get one. I have few more days left to take advantage of that cashback offer. Awesome images btw.

" The trick is to lower the EVF and then immediately press the power button - it does work! But there is a knack. Timing is everything."

you can push the viewfinder almost all the way down. then it needs extra pressure to close. this is the place to experiment with the timing.

rx100 iv has a menu item to choose whether to turn the camera off when the viewfinder is closed. sony dont appear overkeen to provide this in a firmware update for the m3 version of the camera.

" The trick is to lower the EVF and then immediately press the power button - it does work! But there is a knack. Timing is everything."

you can push the viewfinder almost all the way down. then it needs extra pressure to close. this is the place to experiment with the timing.

rx100 iv has a menu item to choose whether to turn the camera off when the viewfinder is closed. sony dont appear overkeen to provide this in a firmware update for the m3 version of the camera.
this is one area where fuji are great, continuing support for older products. unless things have changed i don't think sony have the best rep for long term product support

Roy, she is stunning, beautiful colouring.

Sadly, our old boy Jake (now nearly 15) is riddled with cancerous tumours, and we know the end is near for him, but he has given so much over the years and has been (and still is) a superb companion for us.

Here's one of him a couple of years ago looking a little better (on my Nikon 1 system I had then - same sized sensors as the RX100 series I believe ?)

Lovely fella :)

I use the Fuji X10 to take photos of my dog, and they come out petty good, wonder if she will look even better on the Sony RX100 :rolleyes:

Sootchucker said:

"Roy, she is stunning, beautiful colouring.

Sadly, our old boy Jake (now nearly 15) is riddled with cancerous tumours, and we know the end is near for him, but he has given so much over the years and has been (and still is) a superb companion for us."

Thanks Andrew for the kind words.

Reading about lovely old Jake's health problems has brought a lump to my throat.

We lost our 14 year old labrador last year and the house is not the same without him. https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/r-i-p-my-friend.540759/#post-6242649

Please forgive me if I shouldn't go here but if/when Jake starts to suffer and you need to do what's best for him consider asking the vet to visit you and let Jake stay in the comfortable familiar surroundings of his home.

I also understand that if you have other dogs they should be with you when Jake departs. I am told the other dog(s) will know that Jake has gone. 'Dog's know stuff' ! and is easier for them to understand why their buddy is not around anymore.

Just remember dogs who have good owners have great lives and Jake has you and your family to thank for this.

Stay strong and do what's right for Jake when he needs you most.

I need to go and find a tissue now !

Roy

Last edited:
Thanks Roy - yes off topic I know (sorry everyone), but it brings a lump to my throat whenever I think about it as well.

To be honest I'd never thought about the vet visiting us, and doing the "deed" in house in his familiar surroundings (I'll mention this to the wife tonight for when the time comes). Know what you mean about involving the other dogs (sadly we now only have Jake). A few years ago his beautiful (similar coloured) older sister Sal, had to be put to sleep after a short but very debilitating illness. Our vet advised us then to bring Jake so he would know Sal had gone. Well, when she breathed her last breath, and Jake licked her face, both the wife and I fell about crying (wooses that we are), but at least he didn't spend the next few weeks looking for his playmate.

Back