Compact camera

Name
Damion
Edit My Images
Yes
hi all just wondered if anybody can point me to any threads discussing high end or at least decent compact cameras if there is Such a thing ?

Loads of threads on here, they come up in the search. Most of the threads have been running for years. :)

Last edited:
god I love my G7X :hug: :naughty:

often discarded as it has no EVF but that's not a problem once you learn how to nudge the flip up screen to avoid glare. :cautious:

Sony RX100 thread: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/sony-rx100.433610/

There are now 6 versions; I've had the MkI MkIII and the MkIV.

IQ is astonishing if you factor in the sensor size and the fact it's a compact. The MkIII is probably the best value for money version as it's the first version with an EVF.

Other compacts I've tried are the Canon G9, Canon G1X MkI, Panasonic LX1 and Panasonic TZ100. They are all good compacts but none of them matches the RX100 series IMO.

Any idea what you might fancy?
Well I’m a sort of weird Olympus fan who constantly thinks he should change to Fuji or Sony or Nikon
So the Olympus tg series appeals to me but basically I want a decent quality WiFi enabled pockable camera to have with me all the time
I like WiFi for ease .
I’m really interested to see or hear people’s thoughts .

Well I’m a sort of weird Olympus fan who constantly thinks he should change to Fuji or Sony or Nikon
So the Olympus tg series appeals to me but basically I want a decent quality WiFi enabled pockable camera to have with me all the time
I like WiFi for ease .
The Canon G7X is WiFi enabled, most recent compacts probably are.

I like WiFi for ease .
I don't think Nikon do a decent compact camera, only very basic low end point and clicks. So that leaves you with Fuji and Sony as your preferred choice. The Sony RX100, as already mentioned above. Or the Fujifilm X100F, or Fujifilm XF10.

Erm not yet
The Sony RX100 is attractive Iv seen some results from a Panasonic lx100 that I liked
I’ll probably ponder this to a while
The Panasonic is a neat little camera, with all the important buttons and dials at your finger tips.

PS

Plus it has an EVF.

Canons seem to have a loyal following as well though
I’d like to buy something good and well made that I can use for years

I would recommend a Sony RX, whichever one suits your budget or requirements - flip up viewing screen / EVF etc. For me, the controls on this camera are pretty good to navigate around, even in dim/dark places and the picture quality they yield is amazing. They are also pretty small and carry about.
I have had some of the Canons in the past but I have now had to junk 2 of them as they simply stopped working which was very disappointing.

I would recommend a Sony RX, whichever one suits your budget or requirements - flip up viewing screen / EVF etc. For me, the controls on this camera are pretty good to navigate around, even in dim/dark places and the picture quality they yield is amazing. They are also pretty small and carry about.
I have had some of the Canons in the past but I have now had to junk 2 of them as they simply stopped working which was very disappointing.
I hope my Canon G7X stands the test of time. I do have a couple of old canon compacts that are over ten years old, and still going strong. Had two Fujifilm compacts fail, after a couple of years.
I would like to think most compacts today, are better built.

PS

Just thinking, one of my Fuji cameras failed in the first year. How could I forget that fiasco. :(

Last edited:
I have a PowershotA610 (5 MP!) which is my go to camera if I need to take a quick shot of anything around the house or garden. Going strong since 2005 IIRC!
I have an old Canon Powershot G2, from way back in 2002. Still works... Only niggles the IQ is not very good, and it's compact flash. Oh, and it is very clunky. But it still works. :)

The same thing happened to my Sony RX100 (Mk 1) - apparently it's a common problem with a ribbon cable, but not cost effective to get fixed :(

Ahh now the Ricoh interests me I hear good things about them

The same thing happened to my Sony RX100 (Mk 1) - apparently it's a common problem with a ribbon cable, but not cost effective to get fixed :(
When I first got my G7X, I did use it with the flip up screen. But I remembered a camcorder failed on me, due to use of the flip out screen. The ribbon cable snapped, probably a bit like bending metal wire back and forth, it soon snaps. I now only use the flip up screen very sparingly.

I second the Canon G3X. Bit bigger - but still th most compact model out there with a big zoom and a top notch 1 inch sensor. Worth reading up on!

I second the Canon G3X. Bit bigger - but still th most compact model out there with a big zoom and a top notch 1 inch sensor. Worth reading up on!
I'll also vouch for that. I have a G3X and I'm very pleased with both the image quality, and of course the zoom (8.8 to 220mm). It's my chuck it over my shoulder camera, well built and light.

god I love my G7X :hug: :naughty:

often discarded as it has no EVF but that's not a problem once you learn how to nudge the flip up screen to avoid glare. :cautious:

Would still be a problem for me - when I'm wearing my contact lenses, I can't see a rear screen so need a viewfinder with dioptre correction (and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one with this issue!)

Would still be a problem for me - when I'm wearing my contact lenses, I can't see a rear screen so need a viewfinder with dioptre correction (and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one with this issue!)

+1

I used to struggle with screens on other cameras, the G7X does not seem to be too bad. It can get a little difficult, when it is very bright sunlight.

20521-1542036222-796f329bcb2826ff8ab7b7dbdad47842.jpg

The screen on my G7X, just on normal brightness. Things can get a little messy, when all symbols are displayed on the screen.
But, I can see the screen reasonably well.

Reactions: Nod
20521-1542036222-796f329bcb2826ff8ab7b7dbdad47842.jpg

The screen on my G7X, just on normal brightness. Things can get a little messy, when all symbols are displayed on the screen.
But, I can see the screen reasonably well.

With my contacts in, I can just about see the composition in that shot (but would be able to see the actual scene), although I can't make out the settings at all. I can see them all with my reading glasses on to negate the effect that the contacts are having though.
Not by any means saying that a lack of a (dioptre adjustable) viewfinder is a deal breaker for everyone, just that it is for me.

I have a PowershotA610 (5 MP!) which is my go to camera if I need to take a quick shot of anything around the house or garden. Going strong since 2005 IIRC!
Thats bloody amazing you haven't sold it considering you shifted dozens of Nikon's :p

lol I just realised ,we have one in the missus bottom draw.i bought it for my bro years ago and he gave it to me.thats weird

With my contacts in, I can just about see the composition in that shot (but would be able to see the actual scene), although I can't make out the settings at all. I can see them all with my reading glasses on to negate the effect that the contacts are having though.
Not by any means saying that a lack of a (dioptre adjustable) viewfinder is a deal breaker for everyone, just that it is for me.
I can only see the settings with glasses, without I can't see anything but a hazy muddle. That is not down to a poor screen, but very poor eyesight.
I know I said, I would never have another camera without a VF. But I did get one without, and I seem to be doing reasonably OK so far. :)

Last edited:
Just looking online at the Panasonic LX100, it does look good. All the functions to hand and an EVF, spec looks good too. Could I be tempted, hmmm. Not sure... Although, I am sure I handle one in the shop a while ago, and there was something I did not like about it. I just can't recall what it was. :thinking:

Edit

PS

Just remembered, it was the lens I think. Only being 75mm at the zoom end. At 24-75mm
Although, would the bigger sensor change things?

Last edited:
I think i need to go to shop and try things
The problem is I always end up buying things
When I know I should wait for a good one to come up on here
Then I regret it and get depressed then I buy something else to make me feel better

Sorry I seem to have a problem ......

I used to struggle with screens on other cameras, the G7X does not seem to be too bad. It can get a little difficult, when it is very bright sunlight.
I (almost) always hold the G7X down at waist level with the screen up 90 deg. that blocks the sun out most of the time, but sometimes I need to get it at say 45 deg. to prevent reflection. There is an element on guesswork at times, my default shooting mode is A priority single AF, seeing where the point is on the LCD is the most essential thing. It's only a toy after all. ;)

Back