Companies advertising prices with cashback removed (so not the price you pay)

I've noticed sometimes Amazon price matches the after cashback price. It's pretty obvious though as it does say today you pay £x and you'll see when you get to the checkout.

Yes, obvious once you're on the site and get to the checkout - but they're doing it to grab attention (on Black Friday). Lame marketing imo.

I have been amazed that this style of underhand advertising is still allowed in today's age.
To my mind it just highlights the multi-nationals' misunderstanding of, and disregard for, the intelligence of the consumer.
It compares to the holiday brochures headlining 'Villas with Pools from £99 a week', when the small print states 'Price per person - sleeps 12'.
They must think that every one has come straight off the boat.

Last edited:
Another agree from me, if I were buying and presuming both eligible I'd choose the one showing the price I'd pay that day.

What I find worse though is when they collectively put the prices up then include the cash back to get to the same price!

Last edited:
I find it a massive turnoff and discount them as options due to the hassle involved in claiming cash back...or at least perception there of.

It’s legal as it’s not a true offer for sale but an enticement.

It falls into the subterfuge of ‘sharp practice’ - like there is not enough of that crap going on!

caveat emptor always

Was in Jessops yesterday looking at some Fuji bits and noticed this. Big bold price was price after cashback. Smaller print underneath explaining what I'd actually have to pay today. Wasn't impressed with those tactics.

I must be the only person who's never bought anything that had a 'cashback' offer on it, it's always come a cross as underhand to me, just charge me what you want for the thing.

So i've always bought from elsewhere ( grey or Ebay) even if i had to pay a bit extra and get it.

I must be the only person who's never bought anything that had a 'cashback' offer on it, it's always come a cross as underhand to me, just charge me what you want for the thing.

So i've always bought from elsewhere ( grey or Ebay) even if i had to pay a bit extra and get it.

Not overly impressed with the cashback offer culture, but wouldn't pay more to avoid them and definitely not from Ebay or the far east
Have used them on several occasions, once on a fairly new product in mid December, didn't understand that one at all.

I think it's to prevent the manufacturer dropping the price, and the retailer not passing on the saving? There must be some logic behind it anyway.

Not overly impressed with the cashback offer culture, but wouldn't pay more to avoid them and definitely not from Ebay or the far east
Have used them on several occasions, once on a fairly new product in mid December, didn't understand that one at all.

I'm not saying my way is the correct way, just the way i feel about having to pay more for an item, to then be able to claim some money back, it's nonsense in my opinion.

I'm not saying my way is the correct way, just the way i feel about having to pay more for an item, to then be able to claim some money back, it's nonsense in my opinion.

Not saying mine is either and agree that they should sell at one price with no messing about.
Just not so anti as you to be out of pocket for my objection, well maybe I might if it was a tenner or so.

Not saying mine is either and agree that they should sell at one price with no messing about.
Just not so anti as you to be out of pocket for my objection, well maybe I might if it was a tenner or so.

It's usually more than a tenner :)

I think it's to prevent the manufacturer dropping the price, and the retailer not passing on the saving? There must be some logic behind it anyway.

It's usually a time limited offer, so should increase sales as people are getting it potentially a lot cheaper (plays in to buyer mentality etc) and as an added bonus for the manufacturer there will probably be a few people who never get around to claiming.

Depends on how you look at it.

Jessops stick the net price with cashback first - then indicate what you have to pay.

Wex front page ads give the net price with cashback - then you discover the actual price to pay when you click through.

Last time I was buying a camera and Panasonic were running a series of cashbacks and I'd say it was very confusing generally decoding whether prices were after or before cashback on the initial contact with a website. It's not helped by prices sometimes being increased when a cashback is introduced.

My feeling is that Olympus used cashbacks earlier this year to leverage prices - bump prices - incorporate cashback to smooth the market - cashback expires leave prices high.

The photographic magazines are traditionally very very coy about all of this. They don't really take manufacturers to task about rebadging or collude to infer there are product differences other than rebranding - and have a habit of not questioning explanations about differences, and tend to help maintain the fiction of list prices.

I won't buy from or recommend Park Cameras anymore as they charged my card twice for a Canon 7D2 camera body and it was left to me to discover and reclaim. They were not very helpful when I needed a repair either, unlike HDEW who were extremely helpful and I hadn't even bought the item needing repair from them! Jessops don't impress me either > I had extremely poor service when wanting to buy a Canon EOS M5 with EF lens adapter.

I have been disappointing with the black friday cashback deals especially from Fuji. They had advertised double cashback but most dealers are either out of stock or have increased the price.

I have been especially looking forward to buy the Fujifilm 23mm which was about £654 few days before black friday in amazon. Now it is around £850. Some advertise it lower and raise my hopes only to find that they include the cashback amount

Back