Beginner Complete amateur

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey everyone

I'm Martin and I purchased the Nikon D3200 and up to now im really impressed with the camera. However as I am completely new to DSLR I wanted some help.

I got the standard lens 18-55mm with the camera and whilst this is a good lens it doesn't zoom in that well, I would ideally like to take pictures of wildlife and landscapes but also be able to use it for family occasions and special events.

Lenses seem really expensive especially if I was to go for just Nikon, can I use other branded lenses with my Nikon, if so do you think a 50-200mm would suffice, especially as a beginner?

*Mod edit*
Putting personal details on a forum this size is never a good idea.
Those spam bots just love people like you ;)
Removed to save your sanity and inbox crashing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome martin, this forum offers plenty of advise.

I have a Nikon D3100 and D7000 and use both Nikon and Sigma lenses so to answer your question yes you can use different lenses just ensure you get the Nikon fit. I have a 70 - 300 sigma lens which was only £100 and it was my go to lens before I bought my sigma 150 - 500mm lens. I also have a 55-200mm Nikon lens which is a good lens to me. depends on budget to be honest.

Hi Martin,

just as Proud2btaff posted, you can use any manufacturers lens as long as it's a nikon mount, as for choice of size a lot comes down to your budget really..

Also martin I don't think the 3100 has focus motor in the body? so be careful of lens choice.

Also martin I don't think the 3100 has focus motor in the body? so be careful of lens choice.
Nope.. it doesn't... that was my first camera way back... so you'll need to make sure you choose a lens that has a focus motor in it.

Hi, thanks for your replies, very quick!

I have found the Sigma you were referring to, thanks. I haven't really got the money at the moment to spend so I am looking as cheap as possible, lots of ebay searching etc. Do any of you know any classified sites that specify in personal sales where I may possibly pick up a good deal?

Martin

P.S I have edited the original post as its the D3200 I have not the D3100. The part that mentioned 100 was my first bridge camera.

Hi, thanks for your replies, very quick!
I have found the Sigma you were referring to, thanks. I haven't really got the money at the moment to spend so I am looking as cheap as possible, lots of ebay searching etc. Do any of you know any classified sites that specify in personal sales where I may possibly pick up a good deal?
Martin
P.S I have edited the original post as its the D3200 I have not the D3100. The part that mentioned 100 was my first bridge camera.
Whats your budget Martin if you don't mind me asking.
Sorry I think I caused confusion because I said I had a 3100 and it looks like graham read it as what you had.
If you do have to buy second hand then ensure that you ask all the relevant questions ie, dust in lens, ask for pics
that would work but not sure about the selling site as never used it. I have the sigma 70 - 300 so not sure on what that lens is like.

Not to worry, I shouldn't really have mentioned the WB100. Im not really in a position to buy at the moment will have to save for a month or 2 but I could probably stretch to the £100 and if that's the case Jessops have the Sigma at £99. Without sounding stupid what do you mean by macro function?

Not to worry, I shouldn't really have mentioned the WB100. Im not really in a position to buy at the moment will have to save for a month or 2 but I could probably stretch to the £100 and if that's the case Jessops have the Sigma at £99. Without sounding stupid what do you mean by macro function?

personally I would save the extra bit and buy from a uk dealer as the site you were looking at looks like it may import them.

Macro photography is extreme close up of small items ie insects. here are a few I have taken with the sigma 70 - 300mm

Macro @ 300mm
Large Red Damselfly Pyrrhosoma nymphula 12 by Daz_James_, on Flickr

300mm non macro
Greylags in Flight by Daz_James_, on Flickr
Red Kite 1 by Daz_James_, on Flickr

150mm
DSC_5275 -1 by Daz_James_, on Flickr

Last edited:
Wow those pictures are the reason I wanted one of these cameras, thanks! I will take your advice and purchase from a UK dealer.
Thanks for your replies, hopefully ill be able to take just as good of photos soon! :)

As soon as I can get out and get some proper pics I will post them, thanks again for your help!

Hi Martin - you can save some money by buying used kit - you can certainly pick up a Sigma 70-300 for around £70.
Buying used gets you more bang for your buck.
Also - and it's just a suggestion - I'd be inclined to edit your original post and remove your email address - could save you from some spam as you don't know who's out there.

cheers, cw

If you are just starting out, and want to do landscapes, there isnt a lot wrong with your 18-55 kit lens to be honest. You would ideally be shooting at around f8 to f11 for a standard landscape shot, and the kit lens is more than adequate.

I'd be inclined to edit your original post and remove your email address - could save you from some spam as you don't know who's out there.
I agree.

Plus, one of the valuable aspects of a forum is that other people who have similar questions to yours might be able to get some answers quickly and easily. Encouraging people to respond to you privately rather than in public negates that.

:agree:
If you are just starting out, and want to do landscapes, there isnt a lot wrong with your 18-55 kit lens to be honest. You would ideally be shooting at around f8 to f11 for a standard landscape shot, and the kit lens is more than adequate.

Hi, yer on the original post it says *mod edit* and they have removed it, never really thought about that tbh :/ Cheers though. Ok to sound daft again whats f8 and f11? Nikon Nick......

... Ok to sound daft again whats f8 and f11? Nikon Nick......
It refers to the aperture the lens is set to. The aperture is the opening and controls how much light is let in via the iris in the lens. It is a ratio of the iris opening to the focal length of the lens so f2.8 is a wider opening than f8 and therefore f2.8 lets in more light than f8 (or f11) will. The other role they play is in controlling DoF or depth of filed, very simply put how much of the image is in focus. The larger the f number, the larger the DoF, typically for landscapes we would want a large DoF so we would use a large F number or F-Stop, f8 through to f16 for example. For isolating a subject and throwing the background out of focus (blurred background with sharp subject) we would use a small f-number like f2.8.

Hello Martin. You aren't sounding daft at all. There was a time when everyone on this forum did not know what f8 or f11 was.

To get the best from your camera you need to understand aperture, shutter speed and ISO; what effect each has on the image and how they relate to each other. There are tutorials on this site and also lots of others on the web.

Dave

It looks like you are not going for this but just to say that it will not auto focus on your camera. If you buy Nikon you need the letters AF-S in the lens description. Normally Sigma call it HSM, and Tamron USD, however there are Sigma & Tamron lenses with focus motors that do not use those designations! Always read the description and ask on here if in any doubt.

no problem, glad I could be of help.
some of the photos I took recently, first ones on my Nikon D3200, feedback appreciated.

ok they aren't uploading for some reason, will have to try again later

Last edited:
anyone know if I am doing something wrong uploading images, its saying security error.....

anyone know if I am doing something wrong uploading images, its saying security error.....

which site are you using for uploading images? I use photobucket and find that is easy off there?

im just clicking upload a file direct from the PC

to be truthful I don't know how that works, I just copy and paste the url off photobucket, I have found that the easiest for me.

to be truthful I don't know how that works, I just copy and paste the url off photobucket, I have found that the easiest for me.
Thanks, I have now created a photobucket account and I have uploaded the images, anyone that has a look any feedback is appreciated

personally I would save the extra bit and buy from a uk dealer as the site you were looking at looks like it may import them.

Macro photography is extreme close up of small items ie insects. here are a few I have taken with the sigma 70 - 300mm

Macro @ 300mm
Large Red Damselfly Pyrrhosoma nymphula 12 by Daz_James_, on Flickr

How did you mange to upload the pic from flickr direct to the thread without copying a link?

Back