Complete and utter beginner - unable to make a decision!

Wow Terry - I knit, but those spinning wheels are something else! you clearly are a pro in that area too!

It is going to take a WHILE - I had to work out how to take the lens on and off yesterday :ROFLMAO::rolleyes: I am looking forward to spending some time going through the manual this weekend...

I went for Silver - it just looks nicer - my boyfriend is constantly rolling his eyes when I choose equipment, be it skis, bikes, rucksacks based on colour but there it is :)

I have no idea what this is about but I am intrigued :D

Can I ask another couple of stupid newbie questions?:

- What do you all use to clean lenses?
- I was going to buy a waterproof insert for my rucksack for my camera when I don't want to wear it on my rucksack strap - would this be padded enough if I were take my camera skiing? Actually should I even take the camera skiing - Could I damage the camera it if I am skiing quite fast/hard?

Thanks

C
The biggest danger to a camera in dangerous sports is the lens mount. When you fall it is easy to strain the lens away from the body of the camera.
It will probably be a good idea to get a small non zoom pankake lens for skiing. This will reduce the stresses generally. You can still take your pro lens with you for when you are on more sedate slopes. You will probably get better advice from your skiing friends as how to carry your kit.
As you go in for quite messy sports you will be cleaning your lens more than most people. This is one occasion when it would be a good idea to fit and leave in place a protection filter. You will probably be cleaning it in less than ideal conditions most of the time, and even if you take reasonable care you will eventually scratch the front surface of the lens. The filter will take this damage instead and is easily replaceable.
The normal cleaning process is to remove dust and grit with a blower and lens brush. Then clean the surface of the lens using lens cleaning fluid sprayed onto a tissue or perfectly clean lens cloth, then lightly polish with a microfibre lens cloth. Shirt tails and hankies from the depths of a hand bag are not a good idea.

Last edited:
It is going to take a WHILE - I had to work out how to take the lens on and off yesterday :ROFLMAO::rolleyes:
:ROFLMAO:
I went for Silver - it just looks nicer - my boyfriend is constantly rolling his eyes when I choose equipment, be it skis, bikes, rucksacks based on colour but there it is :)
A camera's gotta look nice, how do you expect to take good photos if you have an ugly camera :LOL:

Can I ask another couple of stupid newbie questions?:

- What do you all use to clean lenses?
- I was going to buy a waterproof insert for my rucksack for my camera when I don't want to wear it on my rucksack strap - would this be padded enough if I were take my camera skiing? Actually should I even take the camera skiing - Could I damage the camera it if I am skiing quite fast/hard?

Thanks

C
Microfibre cloth for the lens. Taking a camera skiing isn't the best idea tbh, if you fall etc you could damage it, knock the lens elements out of alignment, or any other multiple problems. If you do take it make sure it is REALLY well padded. A go pro's better suited to skiing tbh.

They gave me a free protection filter when I bought the camera yesterday (y)

Thanks for advice re skiing - I will NOT be taking this camera skiing anytime soon....my iphone can do for those days at the moment.

I will get some proper cleaning stuff when I put in my order for bits and bobs on amazon today.

What do you all use to clean lenses?
I'll probably have people hiding behind sofas but ... in the field I usually use whatever I have to hand, sometimes that is a microfibre cloth, usually it is my shirt ... at home, well sorry to say pretty much the same :rolleyes: - Lenses are generally quite tough (fortunately for me).

Oh, and congrats on making a choice, it looks a nice system.

They gave me a free protection filter when I bought the camera yesterday (y)

Thanks for advice re skiing - I will NOT be taking this camera skiing anytime soon....my iphone can do for those days at the moment.

I will get some proper cleaning stuff when I put in my order for bits and bobs on amazon today.
TBH UV Filters (what you've called protection filter) are a contentious issue. Some use them on every lens, some people say they can cause more harm than good. I personally find the best protection for the lens element (glass) is the lens hood. YMMV.

I'll probably have people hiding behind sofas but ... in the field I usually use whatever I have to hand, sometimes that is a microfibre cloth, usually it is my shirt ... at home, well sorry to say pretty much the same :rolleyes: - Lenses are generally quite tough (fortunately for me).

Oh, and congrats on making a choice, it looks a nice system.
Yep, lenses are pretty hardy and if I don't have a cloth I'll use my t-shirt or whatever. The most important thing no matter what you use it to blow it first to get rid of any grit etc that might scratch the lens as you wipe it.

I have just read a thread on here about how people clean lenses and almost had a heart attack when i got to a posted video of someone dunking their canon in a washing up bowl of water! :eek:

I have just read a thread on here about how people clean lenses and almost had a heart attack when i got to a posted video of someone dunking their canon in a washing up bowl of water! :eek:

That's something you should never do as contaminants stay in the bowl and potentially contaminate the lens again... That's why you should only clean lenses under a running tap.

PS.
Don't... Just Don't :D

I bought a much cheaper clip from Amazon and it works fine with my EM5 on my rucksack shoulder strap, j

Hi I was just wondering which clip you bought - the peak design one is £70 so I'd quite like to start with something cheaper if possible? :)

Hi I was just wondering which clip you bought - the peak design one is £70 so I'd quite like to start with something cheaper if possible? :)

Carrying cameras is as contentious as everything else in Photography. and it is very much personal choice and what ever else you carry at the same time. I am not into dangerous sports, at my age I have to worry about bits falling off me rather than the camera.
But I have always made my own leather straps and use them cross body so that I can swing them out of the way. Either behind me or to one side.
most of the "Body clips" and bottom fixing screw harnesses are better used with a neck strap as well.

This is the one I made for my Daughter Sarah last year. it is soft oil tanned full grain leather with nylon stranded loops ( sewn and sealed with araldite, Nylon D rings. and stainless steel conway harness buckles.
It will take my weight (14 stones) with ease. so holding a camera is a breeze. It can be used high on the chest, Long near the waist, or cross body as it is easily adjustable. It is a pity no one makes one quite like it.
TA3X3476web by Terry Andrews, on Flickr

Last edited:
As for skiing - no problem.
I skied for about 30 years with cameras (plural) in a standard Salomon backpack.
No fancy camera inserts, just a small hand towel. Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy was a major influence on my choice.
My bigger zoom I did leave in the hard tube it came in. Tamron 80-210 (1980ish). There was a section in the backpack for a flask which was just the right size for the Tamron case.
I mainly used Contax equipment, so not a cheap camera.

Never had any problems. I mainly fell on my side :)
I tended towards black and more extreme runs, off piste and ski mountaineering.

Temperature wasn't a problem either. I have skied on glaciers at -26C with no problem from my cameras.
The only thing to be aware of is warming a camera and lens up afterwards. Wrap in a dry towel and let it warm up to room temp gradually over a few hours.

Great news on your purchase :)

Last edited:
I skied for about 30 years with cameras (plural) in a standard Salomon backpack.
No fancy camera inserts, just a small hand towel. Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy was a major influence on my choice.
My bigger zoom I did leave in the hard tube it came in. Tamron 80-210 (1980ish). There was a section in the backpack for a flask which was just the right size for the Tamron case.

I tended towards black and more extreme runs like El Diablo.

Temperature wasn't a problem either. I have skied on glaciers at -26C with no problem from my cameras.
The only thing to be aware of is warming a camera and lens up afterwards. Wrap in a dry towel and let it warm up to room temp gradually over a few hours.

You’re very brave ;)

40 years old today! (H2G2, not Ken!) :p

I passed that donkeys years ago.
Did I mention meeting Douglas years ago...

:D

Was he lying in a field, stargazing, in Innsbruck?

Have you listened to Fit the First of the new series?

We were talking with Steve ( :D ) about the Starship Titanic, with Digital Village...

No chance yet for Fit the First new series. I listened to the first series when it came out.

Puréed starlings and pistachio nuts...

Did you get your upgrade to first class?

I'm near the bottom :)
A mate of mine from my school days was one of the owners of Digital Village. I sometimes look after his cats...

I tended towards black and more extreme runs, off piste and ski mountaineering.

Hi Ken

Many thanks for your feedback - sorry I am late responding! I will bear all of this in mind in case I desperately want to take my camera skiing but I think that will only be when I know how to use it properly.... Plenty for me to be getting on with for the time being.....also it was raining up to 2000m this weekend :rolleyes::( lots of lovely snow washed away! so I think it is more likely I will be taking the camera snow shoeing in late Spring :D

Carrying cameras is as contentious as everything else in Photography. and it is very much personal choice and what ever else you carry at the same time. I am not into dangerous sports, at my age I have to worry about bits falling off me rather than the camera.
But I have always made my own leather straps and use them cross body so that I can swing them out of the way. Either behind me or to one side.
most of the "Body clips" and bottom fixing screw harnesses are better used with a neck strap as well.

This is the one I made for my Daughter Sarah last year. it is soft oil tanned full grain leather with nylon stranded loops ( sewn and sealed with araldite, Nylon D rings. and stainless steel conway harness buckles.
It will take my weight (14 stones) with ease. so holding a camera is a breeze. It can be used high on the chest, Long near the waist, or cross body as it is easily adjustable. It is a pity no one makes one quite like it.
TA3X3476web by Terry Andrews, on Flickr

I'd buy one of those! 'd love that kind of strap for my XT2

To clean my lenses I just use a microfibre cloth and it works fine. I have a couple of the lenspen thingy but to be honest they don't need to get ever out of the drawer. Then i'm a bit crazy but if i'm not taking picture i put the lens cap on :rolleyes:. I see so many tourist which just walk about all day long without a lens cap, i don;t understand that!

PS: watch video and review about uv filter, if you need them or not is your choice. When i got my first camera i had uv filter on all my lenses but now i do not use them anymore.

To clean my lenses I just use a microfibre cloth and it works fine. I have a couple of the lenspen thingy but to be honest they don't need to get ever out of the drawer. Then i'm a bit crazy but if i'm not taking picture i put the lens cap on :rolleyes:. I see so many tourist which just walk about all day long without a lens cap, i don;t understand that!

PS: watch video and review about uv filter, if you need them or not is your choice. When i got my first camera i had uv filter on all my lenses but now i do not use them anymore.
I don’t put my lens cap on when I go out, forever taking it on and off. Have you seen how much crap you have to get on your lens before it starts to impact on IQ? ;)

I don’t put my lens cap on when I go out, forever taking it on and off. Have you seen how much crap you have to get on your lens before it starts to impact on IQ? ;)

Yes but on the other hand my lens never need more cleaning that a very light wipe with a cloth.

If i take picture for 5 minutes it don't put it back but if i know i won't take a picture in the next 5 minutes i do put it back. It stay in my right left of my trousers so it's not that difficult really.

Yes but on the other hand my lens never need more cleaning that a very light wipe with a cloth.

If i take picture for 5 minutes it don't put it back but if i know i won't take a picture in the next 5 minutes i do put it back. It stay in my right left of my trousers so it's not that difficult really.
Each to their own (y) I’ve done a full 5 days in New York without using a lens cap and the lens was as clean at the end as when I started. The hood is on permanently though.

Thanks to you both for this info re filters, lens caps and hoods - I did take my camera out with a filter and was putting the lens cap back on all the time as well but I think that this is just newbie nerves and I am just being super cautious at the moment, but I will take all this on board. The weather has been terrible here so no real opportunities to take that many photos at the moment. My Understanding Exposure book arrived so I am about to start reading that and I think it will be really helpful, I read those links that you sent Toby, which were really helpful, and then started reading the Olympus manual but I definitely need to read up more on the principle of photography - although I think I have kind of got the hang of aperture, ISO and shutter speed :) At the moment I am shooting using P, so aperture and shutter speed are auto and then I can amend the ISO which I quite like....
One thing I note is that my photos seem a bit dull, do I need to amend a "brightness/saturation" mode or is this something you all tackle in lightroom? Admittedly the light was quite low when I shot the photos....
I would like to take my camera to the UK next week, silly question but is it OK in hand luggage?

I am also going to buy the non-pro 40-150mm lens as from what I have read on all the forums this looks to be very good value for money :)

Thanks again

Charlotte

Thanks to you both for this info re filters, lens caps and hoods - I did take my camera out with a filter and was putting the lens cap back on all the time as well but I think that this is just newbie nerves and I am just being super cautious at the moment, but I will take all this on board. The weather has been terrible here so no real opportunities to take that many photos at the moment. My Understanding Exposure book arrived so I am about to start reading that and I think it will be really helpful, I read those links that you sent Toby, which were really helpful, and then started reading the Olympus manual but I definitely need to read up more on the principle of photography - although I think I have kind of got the hang of aperture, ISO and shutter speed :) At the moment I am shooting using P, so aperture and shutter speed are auto and then I can amend the ISO which I quite like....
One thing I note is that my photos seem a bit dull, do I need to amend a "brightness/saturation" mode or is this something you all tackle in lightroom? Admittedly the light was quite low when I shot the photos....
I would like to take my camera to the UK next week, silly question but is it OK in hand luggage?

I am also going to buy the non-pro 40-150mm lens as from what I have read on all the forums this looks to be very good value for money :)

Thanks again

Charlotte
Unfortunately you can't create light that isn't there (unless you're a whizz in photoshop and can make your images look different to how they were shot) and so if the light is rubbish photos will look dull. You can make them look bit better in software such as processing, but on a dull day they are never going to have the pop they have on a sunny day. I shoot RAW so camera settings don't make any difference, but when I did play around with jpeg settings in camera and found that boosting contrast a bit was more to my taste.

Cameras are fine in hand luggage, but you just have to put them through separately when you go through he scanners, i.e. take them out of the hand luggage. I tend to have my camera bag in my hand luggage and just take that out with the camera is and that's always been ok.

Its more than "OK" in hand luggage and is the best place for it ... you really wouldn't like to see what treatment your hold luggage goes through and think of your new camera in there. Also most insurance companies (you have added it to your household insurance) will exclude damage and loss of items such as cameras from hold luggage.

me too! I have been hunting around and can't find anything like this! :)

That is exactly why I made my own.

I made the one below some years ago for my Fugi X10 I then transferred it to my X20 when it came out and now it carries my X30. I have an even earlier design that I made on to my XE2.

The one below can be made from components found on Ebay and is easy to put together only a little sewing and glueing required.
When you sew the loops you need to use strong polyester thread and wrap round to compress as you sew through both ends. ( you should melt the nylon cord ends before you sew to stop them fraying.) as a final touch encapsulate the sewn portion in a blob of araldite glue. a single final loop can lift my weight when done this way.

Some camera lugs fray even nylon cord in time, ( Fuji amongst them,) But I have not had to replace mine yet in over 5 years of constant use..

Any one with the minimum skill could make this Strap. the only tools you need are a hole punch and a needle and screwdriver.

If you have trouble getting leather to that length, simply glue and sew to pieces together which is what I did with this one. the join as everything else takes my weight.

_TXE4120X---Copy-copy-2 by Terry Andrews, on Flickr

Last edited:

I made the one below some years ago for my Fugi X10 I then transferred it to my X20 when it came out and now it carries my X30. I have an even earlier design that I made on to my XE2.

The one below can be made from components found on Ebay and is easy to put together only a little sewing and glueing required.
When you sew the loops you need to use strong polyester thread and wrap round to compress as you sew through both ends. ( you should melt the nylon cord ends before you sew to stop them fraying.) as a final tough encapsulate the sewn portion in a blob of araldite glue. a single final loop can lift my weight when done this way.

Some camera lugs fray even nylon cord in time ( Fuji amongst them, But I have not had to replace mine yet in over 5 years of constant use..

Any one with the minimum skill could make this one. the only tools you need are a hole punch and a needle and screwdriver.

If you have trouble getting leather to that length, simply glue and sew to pieces together which is what I did with this one. the join as everything else takes my weight.

_TXE4120X---Copy-copy-2 by Terry Andrews, on Flickr

You need to start manufacturing these Terry. I for one would buy. I love this kind of workmanship

You need to start manufacturing these Terry. I for one would buy. I love this kind of workmanship

At now 83 I am past getting involved in projects like this. There is enough detail above for anyone to be able to make their own. And they will treasure it all the more for having done it themselves.

One thought (for anyone doing similar)... you might consider adding quick release fastenings such as the Peak Design Anchor Links - gives you something versatile if you want to swap straps around and (maybe) more hard wearing than the nylon chord Terry used to the camera lugs?

At now 83 I am past getting involved in projects like this. There is enough detail above for anyone to be able to make their own. And they will treasure it all the more for having done it themselves.
Then I take my hat off you sir. Fantastic craftsmanship

That would be me then, hood yes, but easier to just give the lens a quick clean than muck about with lens caps.

Another point is where do you put the lens cap when you take it on and off all day?
Possibly in a pocket with all sorts of crap which then transfers to the lens when the cap is replaced.

Its more than "OK" in hand luggage and is the best place for it ... you really wouldn't like to see what treatment your hold luggage goes through and think of your new camera in there. Also most insurance companies (you have added it to your household insurance) will exclude damage and loss of items such as cameras from hold luggage.

Just check on the battery carrying situation for hand luggage, think its along the lines of two spares with their terminals insulated

One thought (for anyone doing similar)... you might consider adding quick release fastenings such as the Peak Design Anchor Links - gives you something versatile if you want to swap straps around and (maybe) more hard wearing than the nylon chord Terry used to the camera lugs?

The version I use on my Fuji X2, the loops detach from the strap very easily they hold on with Sam Brown studs , however I fond that I was never removing them. So on the two shown above, though they remove very easily, they are not instant remove. Although nylon Loops do wear on some lugs as the inside of the lugs are often rough. I have never worn one out yet and could always make another in a few minutes is they showed any danger signs.
I much prefer loops to rings, or indeed loops fixed through rings, which and are often used, as the rings tend to mark the camera. and are not as nice to hold.
The braided nylon cord that I use is the same as used by others including Peak for their anchors. Though mine are more strongly sewn and sealed. on theirs the entire weight is held directly on the stitching .

On mine the shear force is always much less than a quarter the applied weight, and each will hold at least my weight of 14 stone.

Last edited:
Just check on the battery carrying situation for hand luggage, think its along the lines of two spares with their terminals insulated
I don’t know the rules for batteries but I’ve never been checked with mine. I don’t have terminal covers for my Olympus ones.

Back