Beginner Complete beginner and need advice with camera

Name
Am
Edit My Images
No
I have read various posts here, watched multiple you tube videos and photography site reviews.
I am keen to take up photography as a hobby. Currently use my smartphone to take photos. I don’t like heavy cameras and prefer not to keep changing lenses, if possible. Would prefer to buy used rather than new ones.
My choices are
1 Panasonic lumix 1000ii fz ( bridge but better than my phone, least expensive)
2. Canon 250D with 18-135 mm lens ( more expensive than option 3)
3. Nikon 3500D or 5600D with 18-300 mm lens ( less expensive but longer range lens, less weight )

These options may not be the best .,

What would you advise? My head is spinning and am going around in cycles.

What do you want to take pictures of and what's your budget? Are there any particular pictures that inspire you and that you wish to emulate?

A few things,
Don't be afraid of second hand - especially from a reputable dealer. Over the last couple of years I've bought from Ebay a Canon 500d (£70), Canon M6 with lens and adaptor (£400), 10mm - 18mm zoom, 17-85mm zoom (about £180 for the pair). A bit over your budget, but you can see the possibilities.
You might need to factor in the cost of photo editing software (nothing too complicated - crop an image, rotate it, play around with contrast, brightness and colour, no need to go mad).
Are you going to print your pictures? I use some of my pics to personalise cards for birthdays and Christmas.
It might be nice to have a camera with lots of pre-programmed settings, but as you get into it you may well want to exercise more control over aperture, time, white balance, depth of field and so on. After all, you probably want to produce an image that your phone can't.
, Above all, develop your own preferences - have fun

OK, so you don't need long lenses for birds etc. I would generally avoid superzoom lenses like the 18-300 because you may not find quality much better than the phone outside their ability to cover a very wide range. I'll have a look and come back.

Thanks all.
Good suggestion about the photo editing software. I am somewhat leaning towards Nikons 5600D as could find a used one for around 450 pounds in MPB website. I am thinking get this camera, 50mm prime lens and a 70-200mm Nikon lens.

I'd go for the 3rd option - DSLR + superzoom. Yes, the lens won't be the sharpest at the long end but it'll be better than a bridge camera will be. Buy the kit second hand will allow you to resell the lens for close to what you pay for it when you know what you want/need to progress.

With a budget of 700 i would suggest...
Used X-T2 body with the Fuji XF 18-55mm 2.8-4 lens, should be doable within budget
Great combo and a cracking lens.

Thanks all.
Good suggestion about the photo editing software. I am somewhat leaning towards Nikons 5600D as could find a used one for around 450 pounds in MPB website. I am thinking get this camera, 50mm prime lens and a 70-200mm Nikon lens.

Don't overlook the Nikon 70-300 VR lens, that plus a D5500/D5600 should come within budget, and if you get an 18-55 you'll be sorted.

I managed to get canon d250 with the kit lens 18-55mm as well as a 50mm prime lens for 570 pounds.
I was just going around in circles but am glad that the decision is made, can’t wait to get them
Thanks for all the help and suggestions

IMHO you could do a lot worse than a used Nikon D610 with the Nikon 24-120 f4 lens. Both on the likes of MPB used within your budget. Good Luck and enjoy whichever way you go !
PS I have this combo as my walk around go anywhere camera

IMHO you could do a lot worse than a used Nikon D610 with the Nikon 24-120 f4 lens. Both on the likes of MPB used within your budget. Good Luck and enjoy whichever way you go !
PS I have this combo as my walk around go anywhere camera
He's bought a Canon DSLR, see above.

Sorry, my bad, started comment then went to lunch thinking I had posted, Came back and posted without thinking to read newer comments, note to self for the future !

Lets just hope he doesn't sell the Canon after reading your post! :D

Someone reassure me that I haven’t done a big mistake
Well you asked for advice then chose to ignore it.

The good news is, your camera will be fine. It won't be the best, but it won't be the worst either.

But can I ask; what's the point in asking advice if you're gonna ignore it anyway.

one of the option was canon 250d and the camera came with the 18-56 kit lens. I bought 50 mm lens till I get used to the camera. I am
planning to get long range lens in a month or two. At least that was my rational.
I won’t take any offence regarding Phil’s comment.
It is daunting if you are starting new with photography

one of the option was canon 250d and the camera came with the 18-56 kit lens. I bought 50 mm lens till I get used to the camera. I am
planning to get long range lens in a month or two. At least that was my rational.
I won’t take any offence regarding Phil’s comment.
It is daunting if you are starting new with photography
The takeaway; as you really wanted to buy a ‘new’ camera, and you were determined to buy a DSLR, is that your camera will do great for you to learn on. :) it’s nigh on impossible to buy a ‘bad’ camera.

Don’t get hung up on the technical aspects. You’ve bought a camera to make pictures, not to torture yourself into studying exposure, composition or lens MTF charts.

Choose auto ISO, stick it in AV mode do you can control depth of field (how much of the image is sharp) and select the appropriate focus point for your image.

That’ll give you the right amount of control to create the image ‘you’ want, whilst automating the unimportant stuff.

Back