Beginner Complete Newbie, where to start?

I'm going to be contentious and flippant... you start by seeing something worth pointing a camera at....
If you don't have a camera with you at the time.. well there is your first 'missed shot'.. no probs it would probably have been a duffer anyway..., but lesson learned is, next time take a camera...
What camera? Who CARES!!!!
Well.. every-one it seems! BUT.. don't sweat it... thing with 'photography' is that when you start to get 'in' to it, you start to loose sight of why you did it to begin with, and start spending more time looking AT the camera than through it... BE WARNED.. that is when it starts to get expensive, and you will tend to be spending ever more money, to get ever fewer 'photo's that you really like... 'cos your expectations will ramp with how big your credit card bill is, whilst the interest in what you have to point your camera at probably wont!
Lessons from history... way back when; the 'entry-level' camera for an aspiring enthusiast on the high-street was something like a Kodak Box Brownie... it had no mega-pixies, no mega-zoom range, no mega ANYTHING..
Some-where, and I have lost the digi-pic of it, I have a 1930's Voiglander 'Box-Camera'... Its a twin-lens-reflex camera, that takes 120 roll film. Twin-Lens reflex means that it has two lenses; one is in-front of the film trap, and has a shutter in it; from memory with just four shutter settings, 1/30th of a second, 1/60th/s & 1/125th/s, and three apertures, f4, f8 & f16, I think. the second lens sits in-front of half a periscope, and projects an image onto a mirror, and a ground glass view-screen you look down into at 'waist-level', to compose your picture. Focusing? Well, not one of the more sophisticated 'geared' TLR's that had a focus control that focused both the viewfinder lens and taking lens.... viewfinder was just that a viewfinder; you focused by guess work, setting the taking lenses pointer to 'near' 'middle' or 'distant'.. Not exactly bristling with technology this thing! BUT in the 1930's it was an 'expensive' camera, and just having selectable shutter-speeds made it quite a lot more versatile than a Box-Brownie... or more convenient than a wooden plate camera! And it took pictures.. and that's ALL the technology you need!
I actually dug it out of a toy-box in my Grans attic about twenty five years ago; story behind it was my Grandad had bartered a packet of cigarettes for it in a bizarre in Palestine while he was in the air-force after WWII; when he got a 35mm Kodak in the 1950's he gave it to one of his kids to take snap-shots on school trips, whence it ended up chucked in the toy box, I discovered it... cleaned it, put a film in it, and TOOK PICTURES with it.... it still worked... not very well, I'll admit, one of the rollers for the film guide had rusted and left scratches at the edge of the negatives, but it took photos, and the ones I later discovered, my Grandad had taken with it out in the Middle-East in the 40's, before it went rusty, were all VERY interesting, and remarkably 'good'.
Later, after a house clearance, I was given my Gt Uncles camera, a Zeiss Ikonta, 120 'folder'; similarly 'spartan' in features, it does however have a focus scale marked in proper measurements, though lacks a view-finder... it has a hinged metal flap with a square hole in the front on top of the lens and a wire square that folds up off the back you sort of like up like gun-sights! But again, takes photo's, and putting a roll or two through it, this camera worked very well in deed, and took very nice photo's.. well, as nice as what I pointed it at, least-wise.
And THAT is the point; the pioneers of photography had little more than a light tight box, and a glass plate spread with egg-white and silver halide and something 'interesting' to point it at, and many of thier works are, still to this day, held up as 'master pieces'.... you REALLY don't need to get bogged down or detracted by what is perported to be 'must have' camera kit... if it'll take a picture, it'll 'do'..
End of the day, purpose of photography is to make a picture, and purpose of a picture is to be looked at! Stating the bleeding obviouse, but, worth stating from time to time!
So, what makes a picture worth looking at? Who will want to look at it? WHY and WHAT will they find INTERESTING in it?
There are millions upon millions upon millions of perfectly composed, perfectly exposed, perfectly 'sharp', and perfectly BORING photographs on display for us to look at... quite a lot on here.... no disrespect to their authors, BUT... I have absolutely NO interest in Britain's bird-life, or in antique trains, or old war-planes; among many things. I do like pretty ladies, I will confess, but the O/H takes exception to that interest! SO, no matter how 'good' these photo's are. they are just NOT very interesting to me, as I have no interest in the 'subject'.. There are probably a lot of people who ARE interested in these subjects, who would be interested in looking at them... BUT, and here's the rub.... IF the SUBJECT is interesting to them.... they'll look at it! I'm interested in motorbikes... I see a motorbike, or even a part of a motorbike in a photo, it has my attention! Maybe only briefly... but still, its got the first 'look'... after that? well does it HOLD my attention? What do I 'gain' from it?
And STILL, it is the subject that is captivating me and making me look; whats special about it? Whats unique? What's important? If its a motorbike, is it a rare one? Or does it have a unique front suspension system, or engine or something? WHAT makes the subject worth recording? WHY do I want to see it? What do I learn from it, or what does it make me feel? If its a land-scape, does it make me feel part of the scenery and take me out of my mundane living room? I fit's an action shot, does it take me to that motor-race or make me want to be IN that motor-race? WHAT does it GIVE ME, the viewer, that a bit of patterned wall-paper wouldn't?
Now flip that round; what do you want to 'give' the viewer in your picture? What COULD you give the viewer, in your picture?
There has to be a 'reason', there has to be a 'gift' in it, or it WONT be looked at.. and a picture not scene is a picture that might as well have never been taken.....
And THAT is where you should start... with the 'subject' with the 'interest' and that 'gift' to the viewer....
The camera don't matter; editing programs don't matter, all the 'stuff' you THINK matters... doesn't... ALL that matters is that there is a picture, and it 'gives' something to a viewer to make them want to look at it... even if that viewer is only ever yourself....
And on THAT basis, we return to the top.... you start by seeing something worth pointing a camera at.... and, you take a picture of it!
You shouldn't be buying a camera to get you out of the house and 'doing stuff'!! You buy a camera because you ARE out of the house and doing stuff! Stuff that is interesting enough to take photo's of!
You are working from the wrong end.... trying to push the cart with the horse, rather than pull it....
You said you were doing stuff with a camera-phone? What were you doing? DO MORE of it! Use your camera-phone MORE.. its still a camera, it still takes photos!
Only when you are struggling to get photo's with that camera, because it's lacking, 'something', do you need to think or worry about what gear to buy, and having a specific 'problem' to over come, that problem will direct what gear is needed... and what know-how you need to exploit it.
To do what you say you want.. get out and about and do 'something', you REALLY don't need a camera... JUST the inclination!
So get motivated, and Go Do! And if you happen to have a camera handy when you do.. great! Take pictures, and you are doing this photography lark!

Well little update,

New camera has arrived, couple of things I didn't expect.

Has more weight to it than I thought from looking at pictures of the camera, but feels lovely in my hand, except my nose hits the screen on the back when I look through the view finder :)

More buttons than I expected and seems complicated, since I don't have instruction manual going to take a couple of days to work out what is what. I am going to learn the camera with it on manual ( so I can work out how the different settings work together, instead of letting the camera do the work for me )

Overall super excited to get started and very happy with the kit, it looks nearly new and the lenses look in mint condition too.

Just need a card reader or lead so I can take pictures off the camera and I am all set.

Once I learn the basic controls will treat myself to a bag and a tripod, so if anyone knows of a cheap online shop that sells good starter ones, that would be helpful.

Just like to add a big thank you to everyone who has posted here with tips and advice, its been really helpful and when I get the lead I will post my first ever shot with the camera ( that wasn't too dark or too light ) as the first 10 or so pics weren't able to see the subject as it took a few hours to work out how to set it so the shutter speed and aperture was right! God bless google!

Once you have your set up, I would start by learning how to use the basic functions of the camera (changing ISO,aperture, shutter speed etc).
Then I would learn about the relationship between shutter speeds, apertures, and ISO's etc. It will help things fall into place.
If I lived closer, I would come and show you.
There must be some stuff on youtube though, as already mentioned.
Its a long time ago now, but I think I started by learning about depth of field, by taking pics of ornaments in the lounge.
I wish you well. Once you get the hang of it, you will become more creative, and hopefully love it :)

If you start to blame the camera for quality, upgrade the lens first to an L series lens or at least something better before changing the body.

edit: I still have my 40D and I use it sometimes for fun stuff like sports, when I need a bit of reach from the cropped sensor and with a 70-200 f4 L IS it takes awesome photos.

Last edited:
If you start to blame the camera for quality, upgrade the lens first to an L series lens or at least something better before changing the body.

edit: I still have my 40D and I use it sometimes for fun stuff like sports, when I need a bit of reach from the cropped sensor and with a 70-200 f4 L IS it takes awesome photos.

Totally agree. Since buying a couple of L series lenses, I won't shoot with anything else (except my 50mm ll 1.8 ).
If I considered anything else, it would have to be something special.

Totally agree. Since buying a couple of L series lenses, I won't shoot with anything else (except my 50mm ll 1.8 ).
If I considered anything else, it would have to be something special.

I feel it's time to add...
Newbies think it's all about the camera
Enthusiasts think it's all about lenses
Photographers know it's all about the light.
;)

Hobbyists can be idiots if they want to. It's all part of the fun of it.

Last edited:
Forget the longer zoom for now at least, just stick with the 18-55. That'll keep you busy enough.
I've been using a second hand Canon 1100d with a 18-55 stm kit lens (birthday present) since January, this set up has been fine up until now. I like to take photos of wildlife, but just can't get close enough, so today invested in a 70-300 zoom lens. So my point is the same as the above quote, learn with a simple kit lens until you have found what your style and subject matter is.

Last edited:
Hello Chris

My advice would be to look up your local camera club , Go along , they normally allow a couple of visits before you decide if you want to join.

Have a chat with established members, see if they arrange day trips out and about, see what other members are using and ask what they think of that type / style of cameras / equipment etc

Most clubs have competitions so when they are announced you have a theme to aim for and you can then sit and listen too the judges comments on you work and other

It is all very enjoyable , I made friends , we even went away in a minibus on Club holidays , Great times !

Well little update,

New camera has arrived, couple of things I didn't expect.

Has more weight to it than I thought from looking at pictures of the camera, but feels lovely in my hand, except my nose hits the screen on the back when I look through the view finder :)

More buttons than I expected and seems complicated, since I don't have instruction manual going to take a couple of days to work out what is what. I am going to learn the camera with it on manual ( so I can work out how the different settings work together, instead of letting the camera do the work for me )

Overall super excited to get started and very happy with the kit, it looks nearly new and the lenses look in mint condition too.

Just need a card reader or lead so I can take pictures off the camera and I am all set.

Once I learn the basic controls will treat myself to a bag and a tripod, so if anyone knows of a cheap online shop that sells good starter ones, that would be helpful.

Just like to add a big thank you to everyone who has posted here with tips and advice, its been really helpful and when I get the lead I will post my first ever shot with the camera ( that wasn't too dark or too light ) as the first 10 or so pics weren't able to see the subject as it took a few hours to work out how to set it so the shutter speed and aperture was right! God bless google!

your cards went in the post this morning btw - so you should have them by wednesday/thursday

After a google it seems there is a share button on Flickr, but when I click it the box is empty, seems this new Microsoft edge isn't working right, so I downloaded firefox and the button now works, so testing to see if the images show up in a post, sorry in advance if they end up wrong.

4 by Christopher Telford, on Flickr

3 by Christopher Telford, on Flickr

2 by Christopher Telford, on Flickr

1 by Christopher Telford, on Flickr

That's the best 4 photos from my test afternoon, Some in the house ended up to dark, some outside very "white". the photos I took with the dogs running all ended up blurred. Out of 50 test shoots or so, only 7 ended up ok ish with these 4 the best imo.

I had the camera set up to save as raw, but found I couldn't upload that format so had to use a free program to change it to j-peg, it was called faststone. I didn't edit only did a save as and save as j-peg at 100 quality.

Last edited:
Have 4 photos which I uploaded to Flickr but I am not sure how to add them to this post?

this is the link for the album

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135700266@N03/albums/72157657669755542

How do I add them to the posts on here?

Just click the arrow with the red box round it and then copy then copy the BBCode and paste it into the forum, Check the size though as they may end up massive on the forum.

gzwt84r.jpg

Just click the arrow with the red box round it and then copy then copy the BBCode and paste it into the forum, Check the size though as they may end up massive on the forum.

gzwt84r.jpg

Thank you, it seems it was Microsoft edge browser wasn't working, that menu didn't show up at all, so I downloaded Firefox and it worked on there.

Thank you, it seems it was Microsoft edge browser wasn't working, that menu didn't show up at all, so I downloaded Firefox and it worked on there.
Although I avoid Microsoft browsers, it might be that it is Flikr that is not working properly. They have a reputation for browser sniffing and non standard coding.

Good morning, as the title says, I am a complete newbie and I am more lost than ever after googling where to start, so thought the only course of action was to join a forum and ask the pros.

A little about myself, I am 41 and apart from the very odd pic from my phone I have never done any photography, I had a health scare last xmas and I decided I needed a hobby to take my mind of things and to relax, I have always been impressed with different photos I have seen and thought lets give it ago, as I feel this will be a rewarding hobby and encourage me to get out and about more, maybe even make some new friends.

So where to start, I have a very modest budget but I also want to do this right and try and avoid making mistakes,I would rather pay a little more now than buy something wrong and it cost more in the long run, as I have a very modest budget.

So the advice I need is this:-

Starting equipment for a complete novice.
How to get started once I have said equipment and what I need to know to improve ( websites, tutorials etc for a newbie )
What subject to photo that's more newbie friendly or does that not matter?
lastly, once I have a photo, what next? Do I need software on computer for example to get the best out of my photo before I print it?

Thanks for reading and thank you for taking the time to reply, I understand you will get these questions a lot and I tried to figure it out and saw that a "bridge" camera would be best, than saw a dslr was best, even said just get a compact and I have no idea what the difference is and there's such a wide range of prices, some eye watering, so all the help and advice i can get would be fantastic.

Will read along the replies being a newbie myself. As for me, I want to improve my photography skills that i may use some of it on my blog. Thanks.

Back