Composition Advice for Architecture

Name
Toby
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I'm wanting to try a different direction in photography and want to try architecture, but more the gritty side capturing the 'essence' of a building rather than just a generic shot of a building. However, I've no idea how to do this and so looking for advice on composition (and processing) to help achieve this?

Bizarrely my inspiration for this was from watching this is England, and it's this kind of gritty feel that I want to achieve. Living close to where this was shot I do have access to this kind of architecture (such as the Park Hill Flats) but I know my photos won't capture the same feel.

I do also want to start documenting my home town of Chesterfield and some of the more unique architecture here such as the Crooked Spire, mock Tudor buildings, and the old courthouse so any advice on general architecture photography would also be welcomed.

TIA

Mmmm...advice? You realise this is a nigh on impossible request? I think you're asking for how to shoot buildings in a 'arty' fashion (there, I said the word!).

No idea how anyone would give you such advice other than to view tons of other images that you would consider along the lines of what you're after (and those that arent) and see why and what you like or don't about them. Re-watch This is England (no hardship there!) and REALLY watch the imagery on the buildings.

The other thing I'd suggest is get out there (maybe without your camera at first), 'feel' the place you're in, 'feel' what it is you want to say with your pictures and only then, shoot. Think of words in your head that are emotional words that say something rather than technical. Decay, poor, run down and gritty are quite easy and fairly standard, try to think of some more, things that YOU want to say. Shoot away (if digital) and when you get back, laugh at some of your appalling efforts but within the shoot, you'll have a couple that you'll say to yourself, "that ain't half bad"!

I'm afraid, as always, there is no quick solution to this. It takes graft, time, practice, emotion, freedom of mind etc etc etc. Only one thing guaranteed to make sure you don't manage it and thats if you don't try. I sometimes think that the project is going to end up as being a book or an exhibition, that way you have an idea of how many images you need and some kind of end structure, but don't tie yourself too rigidly, be loose and flexible.

Good luck and have fun, sounds like a good 'un!

Rich

There are thing to be aware with architecture photography:
• your sensor MUST be perfectly perpendicular to the ground
• compose (crop) loosely
• it's better to shoot with a PC/TS lens as keystoning brings surprising unwanted cropping
• with my 24mm PC/TS lens I will shoot two frames that will divide the object that will be stitched later

Anything else is artistic intent and since it is not a natural subject, your latitude is extreme.
Here is an exemple I PPed (reproduction properly authorized by ©Nuttypix)

Tokyo_Building_2pp.jpg

Last edited:
Leave plenty of space around the image to give you enough room for in post should you want to straighten any distortion.

Mmmm...advice? You realise this is a nigh on impossible request? I think you're asking for how to shoot buildings in a 'arty' fashion (there, I said the word!).

No idea how anyone would give you such advice other than to view tons of other images that you would consider along the lines of what you're after (and those that arent) and see why and what you like or don't about them. Re-watch This is England (no hardship there!) and REALLY watch the imagery on the buildings.

The other thing I'd suggest is get out there (maybe without your camera at first), 'feel' the place you're in, 'feel' what it is you want to say with your pictures and only then, shoot. Think of words in your head that are emotional words that say something rather than technical. Decay, poor, run down and gritty are quite easy and fairly standard, try to think of some more, things that YOU want to say. Shoot away (if digital) and when you get back, laugh at some of your appalling efforts but within the shoot, you'll have a couple that you'll say to yourself, "that ain't half bad"!

I'm afraid, as always, there is no quick solution to this. It takes graft, time, practice, emotion, freedom of mind etc etc etc. Only one thing guaranteed to make sure you don't manage it and thats if you don't try. I sometimes think that the project is going to end up as being a book or an exhibition, that way you have an idea of how many images you need and some kind of end structure, but don't tie yourself too rigidly, be loose and flexible.

Good luck and have fun, sounds like a good 'un!

Rich
Thanks very much for this, most insightful. I did know my request for "advice" was a bit ambiguous but you have made me think about things that I otherwise wouldn't so thanks for that.

One other things I've thought is obviously if I'm taking pictures of flats that is someone's home, is there some etiquette that I need to follow such as gaining permission?

There are thing to be aware with architecture photography:
• your sensor MUST be perfectly perpendicular to the ground
• compose (crop) loosely
• it's better to shoot with a PC/TS lens as keystoning brings surprising unwanted cropping
• with my 24mm PC/TS lens I will shoot two frames that will divide the object that will be stitched later

Anything else is artistic intent and since it is not a natural subject, your latitude is extreme.
Thanks. Unfortunately I don't have a TS lens. At this moment in time I don't know whether I'm best using my 18-35mm on the D750, or the 12-40mm (24-80mm) on the EM5-II. Ideally I'd like something like the 24-120mm f4 on the Nikon to give me greater scope (such as isolating a specific part of a building) but I don't have the funds at this time. I guess I'll find out which works best when I start on my 'project'.

Thanks very much for this, most insightful. I did know my request for "advice" was a bit ambiguous but you have made me think about things that I otherwise wouldn't so thanks for that.

One other things I've thought is obviously if I'm taking pictures of flats that is someone's home, is there some etiquette that I need to follow such as gaining permission?
Glad to help!

Not really any etiquette other than common sense. Might be better to go during the school day when there's fewer kids around etc....if you are approached then tell them what you're doing and why and hope they aren't the non-listening type! Weather wise again, depends on the style and look you want, raining and dismal might be perfect for you! Enjoy it and let your mind go, I'm getting excited for you! Theres the taking and then the processing afterwards which will also help with developing your editing skills, getting the look you want and need...

Lens wise i wouldn't worry too much as it all depends on what you're looking for and what style you're after. That'll dictate your need and whether or not to worry about distortion etc.

As above, get out and shoot.

Try a few things at the same spot and wait till you get back to decide what you think works go back at different times of the day/night and in different weather. Once you've got a few you'll start to get a feel for what is working and what isn't then you just need to shoot more of what is working. I'd not get to hung up on the technical for this unless you specifically want perfect verticals you don't need a t/s lens in fact you might be better exaggerating those verticals but try different things see what sticks.

Not that it's anything I know much about but one thing I have noticed from trying to photograph rocks and I guess the same applies to concrete, brick and other stonework, is that the features often stand out more and it has more contrast when it is wet, or ideally drying out so some parts are wet and some are dry.

Thanks again guys, some very useful stuff. Looking forwards to getting out there now. I have very little in the way of free time so will take a while to build up my 'portfolio' but will be sure to post some pics when/if I get some good ones.

You could always try an M43 TS adapter - might even get your Nikon lens on the Olympus :)

I agree with earlier comments, I think a good start is walking around a place without the camera, observing it and getting a feel for it.

Before moving jobs, I often wandered around the Barbican Centre during a break , getting inspiration then revisiting with a camera. It's a fascinating place, and one where I never seemed to get hassle for using a camera.

Revisiting a place allows you to understand how it works in different light, how people using the place will improve or detract from a image and allows you to see different perspectives you may miss on a single visit.

Rather than clutter your thread with my images, there are a few linked here - mostly of the Barbican, but not all of them. I haven't included any typical exterior shots as I don't think that's what you are after. These are taken on a variety of cameras including dslr, compact, film and phone.

Image 2 is strong, but image 1 is too cluttered - there's too much undifferentiated material in the frame. Ways of simplifying could be framing, focus, light or tone (not tint!) - look at Bill Brandt's stuff.

Back