Computer chairs?

Edit My Images
Yes
I need a new one, can't afford anything too expensive but have no idea what is available and it seems that nowhere near keeps any that you can actually sit on to try out.
I guess I can go to £100, maybe a little more and ideally want one with arms that can be pushed up to allow it to be pushed in to the desk.
Any ideas or suggestions please?

I need a new one, can't afford anything too expensive but have no idea what is available and it seems that nowhere near keeps any that you can actually sit on to try out.
I guess I can go to £100, maybe a little more and ideally want one with arms that can be pushed up to allow it to be pushed in to the desk.
Any ideas or suggestions please?
Unfortunately you don’t get much in terms of support and comfort for £100. I’ve gone through numerous cheap chairs over the years. Eventually I spend around £300 and I’ve had that for 5 years now and it’s as comfortable and supportive as it was the day it arrived.

I get that if you’re sitting in the chair for an hour a day that may not be so important to you but if you sit for hours a day they I highly recommend spending a bit more.

I have this one and it’s very comfortable with all the adjustments and lumbar support.

Seems to be on offer at the moment.

Last edited:
Unfortunately you don’t get much in terms of support and comfort for £100. I’ve gone through numerous cheap chairs over the years. Eventually I spend around £300 and I’ve had that for 5 years now and it’s as comfortable and supportive as it was the day it arrived.

I get that if you’re sitting in the chair for an hour a day that may not be so important to you but if you sit for hours a day they I highly recommend spending a bit more.

I have this one and it’s very comfortable with all the adjustments and lumbar support.

Seems to be on offer at the moment.
Thanks for that, and I feared that would be the case. I don't sit in it all day, maybe 2 or 3 hours at a time, rarely more than 4 in a day, but something that will last is obviously common sense.
The only downside (aside from the price) of yours is that the arm don't fold up, allowing me to push it further under the desk it seems.

Thanks for that, and I feared that would be the case. I don't sit in it all day, maybe 2 or 3 hours at a time, rarely more than 4 in a day, but something that will last is obviously common sense.
The only downside (aside from the price) of yours is that the arm don't fold up, allowing me to push it further under the desk it seems.

No they don’t fold up, they can be raised and lowered. Raising mine up allows the chair to be pushed in a bit further, but not all the way to the back.

Just been through this , bought one off faceberk ,terrible in use , then got a good one off Amazon lovely chair but made my back ache . Finally said sod it couple of weeks ago went to an office supply shop and got one after trying around 30 different ones cost £160 but at least my back doesn’t hurt as much ..
either google office supplies near you or ikea has a good range in store

Have a look at second hand shops. When offices are refurbished often all the furniture, even if it is in good condition, is replaced and ends up in secondhand shops.

Dave
There is a shop selling used office equipment in Cornwall but I'd dismissed them as rather expensive but will take another look.

Last edited:
Cheap ones aren’t too bad if you can adjust them properly. Normal typists chair without arms seem to be better value.

Ikea seem to have a few so might be worth looking in there.

I got an Herman Miller Aeron about 15 years ago. It seemed expensive second hand at the time, and I had to drive a way to go get it, but 15 years later, still no hint of pain, twinges etc. money very well spent.

I went the Gaming Chair route when we started working from home during lockdown. Not cheap but it gets a lot of use as we are still working from home 3 or 4 days a week plus it is also the main computer chair.

Worth looking out for on the used market,

I got this one:

1130591-noblechairs-hero.jpg

Have a look locally to see whether anyone is selling a branded office chair. I got an RH Logic for under £100 and it was virtually unused. Other makes to look out for are Herman Miller and Steelcase

ive been through a few over the years, currently using a lazyboy that i got from Costco, really comfy and supportive, its was a about 200 quid but i think worth it , i spend a LOT of time in front of my computer

Again, many thanks for the replies and suggestions. Over the next couple of days I'll go to the (fairly) local second hand office equipment place and sit on a few, and will deffo up the budget.

I got an Herman Miller Aeron about 15 years ago. It seemed expensive second hand at the time, and I had to drive a way to go get it, but 15 years later, still no hint of pain, twinges etc. money very well spent.
Same.

Lots of companies are finally admitting that WFH is the new normal and it's cheaper to close their offices so there are loads of decent second hand chairs about.

Google Herman miller etc and then visit Facebook. You'll get loads of targeted ads.

Not sure where in Cornwall Steve's based but it's a fair trek up to his closest IKEA in Exeter!

As above, splash out and you won't regret it. At the start of lockdown I. Needed a new chair, was working from home at the PC full time and had a history of back issues. I was eventually persuaded to fork out for a Herman Miller. I'll admit that for a while it felt like a dirty secret having spent that much on a chair (I bought new, it was lockdown), but 4 or so years on I don't regret it one bit. Pick one up second hand and I'm sure you'll be laughing. Aeron and Mirra 2 are the two most popular ones (or were!).

At the cheaper end there's often a lot positive said about the Ikea Marcus but it felt like sitting on a church pew to me!

I need a good chair as I have back and neck problems. Sitting completely upright is not good for me as my spine curves the wrong way. so I need a chair with lots of adjustments. I was given a Herman Miller by my son which was a great improvement but still not ideal. I then bought a Solo SL154 which was made to order and has 9 adjustments so takes a while to get right but great now. It did cost just over £600. The Herman Miller is not wasted as my wife has adopted this and is very pleased with it.

Dave

Back