Computer hub for more connectors?

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
OK so this is for my new mac mini which has 2 usbc / thunderbolt ports and 2 USB3 ports. The USB3 ones already have the cable for the trackpad and keyboard leaving the thunderbolts ones free. The one think I feel Im really missing is a SD card reader which I have found my old Lexar one and works lovely but is of course usb3.

(Even as I type this I feel this is such a first world problem :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: )

BUT it is a problem for me. So, if I leave the SD card reader plugged in I end up doing three way swaps twixt that and the trackpad and keyboard, defeating the purpose of the convenience I want in the first place.
I've seen the sleek aftermarket hubs for the mac mini that sit underneath and look like a neat little extension and can even house an SSD and feed off one of the thunderbolt ports, which would also give me SD card, mini SD card and 4 more usb ports, but longer term reviews are dubious about them, including the external ssd undocking when the machine goes to sleep.

So, for those that have an external hub, which do you use and why do you recommend it?

I use the "RSHTECH" 7 port powered hub sold by Amazon, no problem.

OK so this is for my new mac mini which has 2 usbc / thunderbolt ports and 2 USB3 ports. The USB3 ones already have the cable for the trackpad and keyboard leaving the thunderbolts ones free. The one think I feel Im really missing is a SD card reader which I have found my old Lexar one and works lovely but is of course usb3.

(Even as I type this I feel this is such a first world problem :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: )

BUT it is a problem for me. So, if I leave the SD card reader plugged in I end up doing three way swaps twixt that and the trackpad and keyboard, defeating the purpose of the convenience I want in the first place.
I've seen the sleek aftermarket hubs for the mac mini that sit underneath and look like a neat little extension and can even house an SSD and feed off one of the thunderbolt ports, which would also give me SD card, mini SD card and 4 more usb ports, but longer term reviews are dubious about them, including the external ssd undocking when the machine goes to sleep.

So, for those that have an external hub, which do you use and why do you recommend it?

You can find replacement cables for the card reader with USBC connections on Amazon.

Cheers all, Ill have a look about and see the options, I forgot about anker stuff, have a few of their cables and always good quality. @thirty Ive had a look but cant find one, the lexar card reader has a weird connector on it, usb3 apparantly but its like a double connection? EDIT just found it by googling images (y)

That's a standard micro-USB 3 'B' connector. Another vote here for the 7-port Anker - I have one in the case with my Tab S6 as it's one of the few with a USB C data port as well as a USB C PD port

Last edited:
That's the one I have.

Hmmm they both seem to have advantages / disadvantages for my personal situation. I like the one with the built in sd reader but would never use the ethernet port, the pass through charging port and the hdmi port might get used once a year if that. essentially it's main advantage is probably that it doesn't need external power to work, the sd card reader and mini sd card reader and adds the 2 usb a plus replaces the usb c it's plugged into.

But the other one with the 7 usb 3's seems like overkill the more I look at it plus the biggest disadvantage is it needs external power so another plug socket needed. Not a big deal in many situations but my setup is a very small corner of the dining room aarghhhhh.

More thought required!! In the meantime Ill get hold of a usb c cable for the lexar card reader and see if Im happy with that which may influence the future setup.

Thanks all for the help so far.

Hmmm they both seem to have advantages / disadvantages for my personal situation. I like the one with the built in sd reader but would never use the ethernet port, the pass through charging port and the hdmi port might get used once a year if that. essentially it's main advantage is probably that it doesn't need external power to work, the sd card reader and mini sd card reader and adds the 2 usb a plus replaces the usb c it's plugged into.

But the other one with the 7 usb 3's seems like overkill the more I look at it plus the biggest disadvantage is it needs external power so another plug socket needed. Not a big deal in many situations but my setup is a very small corner of the dining room aarghhhhh.

More thought required!! In the meantime Ill get hold of a usb c cable for the lexar card reader and see if Im happy with that which may influence the future setup.

Thanks all for the help so far.

Yeah the external power is a plus and a minus. One more thing to plug in - but at least everything will work properly :). Devices seem to be drawing more and more power over USB and unpowered hubs can't cope with lots of things.

There are now several hubs that have more than one Thunderbolt port. I have an OWC one. Having several thunderbolt SSD drives makes this very useful. It has exteenal power though, but does have an SD slot.

Back