:-( Computer Monitor :-(

Edit My Images
Yes
just been on the college Mac and realized my monitor at home is rubbish :crying:
The IQ was so much better it was unreal !

so ... any recommendations for a high IQ monitor for a PC ?

ta

I bought 21" HP's for work, very pleased with them good value for the money

Size and budget would be helpful.

I use a Dell 2407 wfp which is superb and you can still pick them up for just over £300

I'm currently using an ACER AL1913 19"

so similar size would be fine.

I dont do budget ... just dont spend more that I need to ... if that makes sense ?

I would judge if the quality is worth the money to me, but I guess a few hundred for a ball park figure

Generally you get what you pay for. Dell do have a reputation for changing specs on some of there monitors over time, but the one that cowasaki has does have some good reviews. Have a look at Samsung as well. Don't rule out something like Eizo, if you budget can stretch to it

I use two colour calibrated Samsung T260, they cost me about £300 each including next day delivery. Would definately recommend them.

I bought one of these HP 2475W which I have been quite pleased with. It also gets quite a few good reviews.

There are a lot of options out there so it's worth spending the time making sure you get what you want.

There are a few issues here:

1. always run the monitor at it's native resolution. Vista & Win7 have functionality to make the images bigger if required, without "bodging" the resolution.

2. Connect with DVI wherever possible. If your computer doesn't have a DVI output, get a graphics card that does first. Of course, if your monitor doesn't have DVI input then that's another excuse to get one that does too :)

3. Enable clear-type font smoothing (only affects text obviously)

4. If using Win7 run the monitor tuning utility.

HTH

another thing i would always do is get it calabrated so what you see on the screen is what you get with your print. There is nothing worse than printing out to find it looks totaly differant to what it did on the screen.

For a cheapish option, I agree with the dell suggestions. What is your budget? Decent monitors can go from anywhere between £200 and £4000 and beyond.

Firstly, don't go for a monitor based on a TN panel. They have narrow viewing angles, low colour gamut and have to resort to dithering to up the colours. Ideally you want an IPS based monitor with a colour gamut as close to AdobeRGB as possible (Or even wider if you can).

Secondly, once you have a decent monitor, buy yourself a hardware colour calibrator. It might seem a lot to spend £100 or more on a calibrator, but trust me they are worth it if you are serious about image editing and getting the most out of your display.

Or do what I did and bought a UMC 22" FULL HD LCD TV from Tesco.....bargain at £99!!! and double clubcard points to boot lol.

The screen is really good and dual purpose.

Res is 1920x1080

Or do what I did and bought a UMC 22" FULL HD LCD TV from Tesco.....bargain at £99!!! and double clubcard points to boot lol.

The screen is really good and dual purpose.

Res is 1920x1080

I would suggest that this is unlikely to be in the same league as a decent monitor with a decent panel. It does seem like a good price for a tv though.

Dell 2408WFP and a Dell 2001FP for me. Both calibrated with a Spyder3 Pro.

I love the 2408, but calibration is a necessity with it. My wife (being from an arts background) has a very good eye for colour. Out of the box the 2408 was really all over the place.

After calibration, while tonally close, the colour range on the 2408 is still way more natural.

I bought one of these HP 2475W which I have been quite pleased with. It also gets quite a few good reviews.

There are a lot of options out there so it's worth spending the time making sure you get what you want.

I've also got an HP LP2475W and like it. "Good" depends on how important the last 0.1% is I think (like some people spend £1000 on a monitor). Mine is, I think, very slightly uneven from side to side, but I can't be bothered to get it sorted. (But apparently the support is very good as this is classed as a business product). I'd suggest you need to buy / borrow a calibrator for this monitor. It's wide gamut, so displays all colours extra intensely unless its profiled. But once it is, it can properly represent really intense colours in your photos.

^^^^^^ definitely need to calibrate any new monitor - although I have to say there was little difference in the pre and post calibration images on my HP.

Watching this thread closely, as a monitor is on the shopping list. I have seen many recommendations for the Dell 2209WA, but can anybody explain to me what is different about these two that justifies a price difference of exactly £100....am I missing something?

http://go.talkphotography.co.uk/?id...ct_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=331

http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=bsd&cs=ukbsdt1&sku=198660

Do the letters E-IPS or REV A01 signify some sort of inferiority in the former?

^^^^^^ definitely need to calibrate any new monitor - although I have to say there was little difference in the pre and post calibration images on my HP.
What helped me was turning on colour management in Firefox, after profiling. The super-intense colours on everything before were doing my head in.

Back