Concert photography

Name
iron
Edit My Images
Yes
how do you get into cert photography in england,

i am based in kent so really don't know any venue's so if anyone know any places would be good to know,

when living in australia i used to do concert photography every week,
been back i england for some time now and miss it,

but i only used to do very small gigs,
would like to know how to get into bigger concert's,
even say 1,000 people

iron

thanks for that steve,
i should have said i was looking nearer to kent/london,
and how i get passes for photographer's

Email the band, email the promoter, email the venue..

They dont usually hand them out for just anyone though, you usualy need some sort of magazine/blog/website behind you.
This is why I always go straight in for the band. Worked everytime for me so far. Even an all expenses paid, plus wages trip around Europe on tour with a big european metal band in Dec 2007.

tom,

that sound's great,
i will start looking around,
so it would be better trying to get into really small concert's first tom,

For practice I guess that ok, but you say youve done it before, so you should know mostly whats what. Maybe find a smallish local venue and try talk them into becoming a resident photog, and then hopefully that might open some doors. All the while, once you are doing that, keep asking around. Get to know the musicians and see if they want a small tour documented etc.
A dutch friend of mine started this way, crowding in the minibus with the band on tour. She now travels the world shooting massive bands at festivals at thier request for the bands promo shots, website, Cds etc. She works for and with the band, so gets complete access to the stage, backstage, photopit, tourbus etc.

That would be my ideal way, rather than just turning up, shooting a gig for a magazine and going home.

yea i have done it before,
i have all the camera lenes etc,
instead of being a tour photographer i would rather just try to go to concert,
for someone like myself who is unknown is the best way to go is pub band's
or would you think i could get a pass for something bigger,

yea i have done it before,
i have all the camera lenes etc,
instead of being a tour photographer i would rather just try to go to concert,
for someone like myself who is unknown is the best way to go is pub band's
or would you think i could get a pass for something bigger,

Pub bands aren't fussy,major bands are. Best bet -without a magazine or commission-is to contact promoter,hope for best. But realise why should they give you a pass? If it were so simple the pit would be fuller than crowd ;)

Hi,

You will find alot of the smaller festivals dont mind about photographers and dont have bouncers/barriers etc to keep you away.
From your name, try Cambridge Rock Festival its quite local to london.

Also as mentioned contact the band and offer either some demo photos and see what they say.

Works for me.

Simon

hi,

is there any local concerts in kent area coming up,
for me to get practice doing concert photography

hi

is there any music gig's coming up in kent that a non pro photographer will be able to get close to the stage,

Back