Confidence knocked - Getting back in the saddle?

Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I had my confidence knocked in December badly and I've barely used my camera since... Combine that with it being unlikely I'll be attending my main photographic subject events this year and I'm struggling to get back into the hobby...

Anyone got any hints & tips? I'm just totally lacking inspiration and drive! Add to that I got a 40D for Christmas and it's been out about three times...

Start joining in the challenges on here - see the inspiration thread.

Do a 52 and make sure you post an image once a week. (or a 365..)

What knocked your confidence?

Try looking at the current competition thread on here and try shooting with that in mind. You don't necessarily have to enter your pictures in the comp if you don't want to. You could even look at some of the previous comps and try with those.

Also there are a number of meets arranged by members here. May be worth posting a thread to see if anyone near you wants to meet up.

I find the easiest way to get back in the game is to decide what kind of picture you want to take, set aside time specifically to do it, and then go for it.

Waiting around passively for inspiration or luck usually doesn't get things rolling whereas actively pursuing a goal gives you the energy to plan your direction. Also, whether you get or you don't get the shot you were aiming for you will have at least done some photography, and that should also be a goal of setting aside time for it. Time to just click that shutter.

My advice would be to go out for a walk someone nice and restful, by water maybe - take your camera with you. Don't pressure yourself or worry to much about what you're taking pics of - just anything that catches your eye really. Look around. Even if it is just one image, it's a start.

What was it that knocked your confidence? That seems to be the issue rather than a lack of interest?

What events is it that you wont be attending so that we know where your interest lies. I try to take enough picture to give me at least three or four keepers each week or two, and add them to my flickr.

Go out for a walk somewhere pleasant in the lovely spring sunshine and just snap away.

Being outside is a good tonic on its own and try not to think about anything much apart from how nice it is and then imagine capturing those good vibes in a picture or two (or three or four even)

As others have said, what was it that knocked your confidence? I wonder if some of us may have experienced something similar and can put your mind at rest?

Last edited:
I hit a mental block with one of my course exercises. It's taken me 6 weeks to get back into the swing as I kept making excuses and photographing other things. I just took a day off specifically to take photos. In my case I caught a train to London and Camden market

Xara you don't seem to be in any great rush to tell us what knocked your confidence, but I think it's a safe bet you've probably screwed up a paid job or a high profile one of some description?

The first thing to realise is that there isn't a photographer born who hasn't screwed up at some time or other and the most successful ones are only too well aware they could easily do it again tomorrow. Over -confidence and too casual an approach is a far greater enemy than than a few butterflies in the stomach - in fact the latter is good - keeps you on your toes.

Whatever went wrong the remedy is to identify it and make sure it doesn't happen again - fretting about it wont help or undo what's done.

Make your mind up where you're at gal - in your original post you refer to your 'hobby' while billing yourself as a pro in your signature, or at least providing professional services.... which is it?

You said it yourself really - you have to get back in the saddle or stay a pedestrian. ;)

Take a cute pic of a friends child and share with them, receiving some positive feedback always works for me :)

Dont let others knock your confidence. Photography is an opinion thing, and opinions can be very much divided..... All that matters is are you happy with what you do? I am a great believer (and people will disagree) that if the camera is set up properly, no one takes a bad photograph. Whats makes a good picture slightly better than good is the techniques, time and composition (plus a few other things) which is only improved by getting out and about. Things beyond that are personal choice. Dont let other more narrow minded people upset your confidence.

Please Keep snapping.......... you know it makes sense :)

I'm of the opinion that just going for a walk with your camera won't actually help you - being down in the dumps, you'll probably not see anything that inspires you and come home even more disheartened.

Instead, treat it like a job.
You have to take photos of 'a something' - this is where we help.
Get a list of subjects from us - one a week - and give yourself a timeframe to get the images back in to us as if you were submitting to a picture editor.
Short deadlines are the key - it will force you out and regardless of weather etc you have to come up with the images.
The images don't have to be spectacular, but this exercise will help you get back into the habit of thinking visually and making photographs.
Each image must tell a story - think of them as being the illustration for a written article in a paper or magazine.

Say a two day turnaround for each subject?

Xarra - there's a number of (equally valid) suggestions made since you started this thread yesterday. I guess that we're all imagining what might work for us, although we don't actually know anything about the circumstances of your set back, and if it's personal rather than professional, you might not want to go public about it.
Anyway, what do you think of it so far?

Dont let others knock your confidence. Photography is an opinion thing, and opinions can be very much divided..... Dont let other more narrow minded people upset your confidence.

:)[/QUOTE

So very very true, photography is for YOUR benefit so get out there when you can and when you want and just enjoy.(y)

Xarra, there are lots of people here trying to help and encourage you, but it's difficult if we don't know what the problem is. Let me tell you that I have never met a photographer, professional or otherwise, who has not taking a bashing at some point - and if you go down the route of professional distinctions or high level competitions then it gets even worse! Just roll with it. But if a client has upset you then remember the value of client education - they don't always understand that what they envisage might not even be technically possible so communication is very important. If you can tell us a bit more I'm sure we can help you get over this. Please don't let anybody, or anything, prevent you from doing something you clearly love.

It happens: I hardly took a single photo between 1998 and last year...
Talk about a steep learning-curve to get back in the saddle...lol

many great advises. If you do photography as a hobbie, you should enjoy it. If not, don't bother. I had a slump last year. I was shooting for work, and not for joy. Came out of it after seeing some good friends and shot random things for the day. Then inspiration came from nowhere, and I was back shooting for fun.

Give it time. It's YOUR time, and you should spend it however you want to. If you truly love photography, eventually it will make you itch, and you'll start shooting again :)

Just carry your camera with you at all times, if its with you you might just see something you wish to shoot, if you havent got it you wont get back into the saddle.

If you do truly love photography you will get back into it, its just about finding the moment (or actually the moment finding you)

Back