Confused

Name
john
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm fairly new to the whole photography scene , had a dslr for almost 2 years had a fairly decent lens for about 8 months , I shoot mostly motorcycles. Until now all I have done by way of PP is a crop and maybe some adjustment on exposure if the photo looks too light/dark and some sharpening , I generally just use the software that came with the camera for this although I have CS5 I have no idea how or what to use it for. My question is am I doing enough or indeed the right things what else should/could I be doing to improve the look of my images ???

The answer is simple - nothing and everything! :LOL:

Seriously, if your images look right and good with what you are doing, then no need to mess them around more. However, the best way to find out if that is the case is to start posting a few in the sharing sections, get some feedback from other motorsport photographers. They will tell you if your technique is good, compositions, etc and then whether you need to pay more attention in post processing (y)

I'm fairly new to the whole photography scene , had a dslr for almost 2 years had a fairly decent lens for about 8 months , I shoot mostly motorcycles. Until now all I have done by way of PP is a crop and maybe some adjustment on exposure if the photo looks too light/dark and some sharpening , I generally just use the software that came with the camera for this although I have CS5 I have no idea how or what to use it for. My question is am I doing enough or indeed the right things what else should/could I be doing to improve the look of my images ???

If you buy a motorbike, say a Honda, and many years later, one of the parts got worn out from wear and tear, and your motorbike's manual says "You have to buy Honda part number XXXX" to replace the part, do you really have to buy Honda parts? Doubtful, chances are like most car drivers, I bet there's a fair chance that you would buy Brand-X parts instead of having to buy manufacturer's own parts.

So you can use CS5 instead of having to use the supplied software that came with your camera, just because the camera supplied the software, there's nothing to say you must use the camera manufactuer's own supplied software, there's nothing to stop you opt for another company's software in place of the camera's supplied software. You can use CS5 like you've used your camera's supplied software.

I don't have CS5 or similar, I would be interested in buying the software, until then, I actually have CorelDRAW 10 which includes Corel PHOTO-PAINT, and instead of using the supplied Nikon software that came with my Nikon camera, instead of using the supplied Olympus software that came with my Olympus camera, I prefer to import my photos into Corel software. I figure chances are CS5 could offer you more than what your camera's supplied software have.

So you could use your CS5 as you would with your camera's supplied software (ie: as you've been doing, like crop, adjustments, sharpening) but with CS5, you could do far more, like create posters, calendars, so something magical with your photos, like turning one of your images into an oil painting. (Assuming CS5 could do simliar to my Corel PHOTO-PAINT?)

Why don't you keep your originals somewhere safe in one folder and copy them to a different folder, then you can just open the copies in CS5 and mess about, play with different options, see what you can do. It's not like you're going to accidentally launch some nukes, just feel free to try out your CS5 and see what it could do for you.

It is no different from picking up a pen and write some lines on paper then ask yourself "Am I doing enough? What else should/could I be doing?" The only limit is your imagination. You could just use CS5 instead of your camera manufacturer's supplied software and you could just do the same crop, adjustment, etc., but with CS5 you could do more.

Also, as far as I can tell CS5 is popular, therefore popular enough to have how-to books written about it. I'm sure there could be CS5 For Dummies, as well as any other books in the bookshops, as well as magazines. You could get some ideas from those.

Possibly the best thing you can do is quit worrying about what you need to do to your images at this point and start using CS5 for fun.
Buy a good book, there are a few out there but personally I prefer Martin Evenings CS5 for Photographers as it is very thorough.
You will need to put a lot of time into learning photoshop so it needs to be enjoyable, so start working on your images. Also look at others photo's of similar subjects and see what ideas you get from them. Eventually you will start to see when you wish to make adjustments to global contrast and colour, cloning, clean up, targeted creative adjustments etc.

I have taken onboard what everyone has said and have read lots of threads about PP , I have also had a play with CS5 and it is indeed a powerful bit of kit , I have some decent(ish) results from a couple of my playtimes

IMG_3824 by jack 175, on Flickr

_MG_2822 by jack 175, on Flickr

Back