Confused !

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Please can someone point me in the right direction ?
When converting RAW files do I convert to JPEG in camera then edit in NX2 or import to NX2 as Raw, edit then convert to Jpeg ?

I hope this question makes sense as I am new to digital and have only shot in JPEG up until now

I would import as RAW then convert when editing is complete - other wise no point in shooting in RAW if you concert in camera to Jpeg- you may as well just shoot in jpeg

Les ;)

I would import as RAW then convert when editing is complete - other wise no point in shooting in RAW if you concert in camera to Jpeg- you may as well just shoot in jpeg

Les ;)

Exactly this, by importing as RAW you are keeping all the captured data in the image file, do your edits to it, then save your edited version as jpg [or any other image format you wish to use].

Many thanks for that.
I still remain a little confused, I have just taken a shot in Raw printed it without any editing, then converted to Jpeg and printed, both A4.
To be honest I cant really see any difference between the two ?

Chris, if you just convert without doing any editing to the image, you won't see much difference.

The beauty of RAW is, you have much more flexibility when editing. without degrading the image.

Many thanks for that.
I still remain a little confused, I have just taken a shot in Raw printed it without any editing, then converted to Jpeg and printed, both A4.

The main reason people use raw is to capture details and recover blown areas / underexposed areas etc, in an editing suite like Photoshop, if you print raw /jpeg without editing they will of course look the same

shoot raw and edit to suit, then save as jpeg and keep the raw file as a raw file for any future editing- as said raw files capture ALL the image data- an "in camera jpeg" will do in camera editing of which you have little control

Raw files give you total,control over the image

Hope that makes sense Chris?

Les ;)

Many thanks for all your helpful replies.
I think someone just turned the light on, as I now understand :clap:
So many questions and so much to learn.

Many thanks for that.

The reason for no difference is because CNX2 keeps all of your camera settings in the RAW file, so it will look the same. Most other (if not all?) image editing software doesn't apply the in camera settings to the RAW file, meaning the RAW file will look a lot 'flatter' i.e with less colour saturation, contrast etc.

Last edited:
Lightroom will apply Adobe's version of the picture settings. May not be exactly the same as Nikon or Canon, but close enough.

Lightroom will apply Adobe's version of the picture settings. May not be exactly the same as Nikon or Canon, but close enough.

Not automatically it won't - you have to tell Lightroom to apply them. CNX2 keeps all of the camera settings and displays the RAW with those settings applied.

A lot of people are confused by RAW.
The main thing to remember is this: a RAW file is NOT an image. It has to be converted to an image format before it can be seen.
When you shoot in RAW and look at the picture on the back of your camera you are looking at a JPG, a "preview" of what the image will look like if converted with default settings, essentially. When you stick it in a RAW converter like NX2 or whatever and look at the image there, again what you are looking at is a JPG (usually) preview.
A RAW file is just the "raw" data from the sensor. Saving this information just gives you more latitude for editing because when you convert to an image format a load of data is necessarily chucked out.

I don't know why you get cameras that don't allow you the option of saving RAW, seeing as all digital cameras essentially shoot in RAW anyway and the camera's software does the conversion into a viewable image format.

If you shoot JPG your camera is still working in RAW, you're essentially just telling it "process this RAW data according to Mr Canon or Mr Nikon's default contrast, sharpness, saturation, etc, adjustments".

As I've always said, people who think straight out of camera JPGs are "unprocessed" are kidding themselves. They're processed to the aesthetic sensibilities of your camera manufacturer's software team.

Last edited:
Back