Congrats England Women

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup. What a nerve wracking game but glad they could do it :D

tough game, the best German forward was injured on the bench as far as i could tell so probably helped out a lot

yeah the ladies got bigger balls that the crappy blokes :)

I think the whole tournament has been an outstanding success. Was interesting to hear from Alex Scott that 4 years ago while planning this, a lot of big clubs weren't interested in allowing their stadiums to be used. She commented "I bet they wished they had now".

Certainly showed the men what can be done with a great manager and no huge egos. Well done ladies......

I am glad they won, but that has to be one of the worst games of football I have ever seen - bad passing, frequent basic errors, anyone who paid between £200 to £1300 to see that match has more money than sense. England's 4-0 and 8-0 victories were a far higher standard than that game.

I am glad they won, but that has to be one of the worst games of football I have ever seen - bad passing, frequent basic errors, anyone who paid between £200 to £1300 to see that match has more money than sense. England's 4-0 and 8-0 victories were a far higher standard than that game.
How many times do you get an outstanding final?
Majority are cagey affairs often ending with a 1-0 score or decided by penalties.
Perhaps its the fear of losing, possibly nerves, whatever the reason it happens an awful lot.

Great achievement from the players who never gave up and a manager who understands how to use substitutes.

Last edited:
I’m already fed up of hearing about it. The other half has Radio 2 on in the kitchen and Zoe Ball is banging on and on and on about it, and every so often I hear some of that awful song.
Give me a break!

How many times do you get an outstanding final?
Majority are cagey affairs often ending with a 1-0 score or decided by penalties.
Perhaps its the fear of losing, possibly nerves, whatever the reason it happens an awful lot.

Great achievement from the players who never gave up and a manager who understands how to use substitutes.

It was rubbish for all the reasons I have given, which is bad because their previous games were very good. As far as I am concerned, sport should be entertaining, that game wasn't, it was full of mistakes from both sides. They are professionals. I would imagine that you could regularly go out and see non league men's games far better than that.

Last edited:
It was rubbish for all the reasons I have given, which is bad because their previous games were very good. As far as I am concerned, sport should be entertaining, that game wasn't, it was full of mistakes from both sides. They are professionals. I would imagine that you could regularly go out and see non league men's games far better than that.
Having watched two seasons of non league with my lot i'm not so sure.
The England men's team regularly produce performances that are mind numbingly dull.
Sport should be entertaining, but the cash plus pressure involved to win at all costs doesn't make that possible very often.

Last edited:
Football is not a sport, it’s a game and in games winning is all that counts, how you do it it unimportant.

Yeah the passing was awful, 30 or 40 yd pass to a striker who calmly lifted the ball over the keeper. No skill in that whatsoever :rolleyes:

Finals tend to be edgy affairs, I've been to a few with Arsenal and know that (especially against Hull) you don't always have the greatest team performance, but somebody can pull something out of a hat to give you the win. The game management by England in that 2nd half of ET was, pretty perfect, I hope the men can learn something from it.

I do not agree, it was an exciting game by two very equal sides, who were largely able to neutralise each other. However England was able to to take advantage when it mattered most. Both sides change tactics several times. only to be countered by the other team. It was an example to most men's matches, which are usually far less inventive or proactive. When both teams are cutting down the opponents time on the ball far more passes fail to find their targets. but to a large extent England managed to find more space to pass into.

It was certainly very entertaining for the millions of viewers. And the result that England men's team would die for, but far beyond them.

You do not win 20 internationals in a row with bad tactics or ball skills.

Last edited:
tough game, the best German forward was injured on the bench as far as i could tell so probably helped out a lot
At her age, she is no longer a full game player, and more a talisman. And she spends as much time injured as actually playing. No team relies on such a player, however good she might be. It is not at all unusual for them to play without her.

At her age, she is no longer a full game player, and more a talisman. And she spends as much time injured as actually playing. No team relies on such a player, however good she might be. It is not at all unusual for them to play without her.
She did score both their goals in the semi final so have to think she is quite a vital player for them.

She did score both their goals in the semi final so have to think she is quite a vital player for them.
That would demonstrate a team weakness. We had many goal scorers. some more prolific than others, but it makes them far more difficult to mark.
Though the German goal was as good as they get.

That would demonstrate a team weakness. We had many goal scorers. some more prolific than others, but it makes them far more difficult to mark.
Though the German goal was as good as they get.
Really, so would that thinking apply to for example Ronaldo then?
Not sure Real Madrid or their opponents saw it as a weakness.

Really, so would that thinking apply to for example Ronaldo then?
Not sure Real Madrid or their opponents saw it as a weakness.
It is a weakness for any team to rely on one player (male or female). While having such outstanding players in top form is clearly an advantage,
There still comes a time when they move on.
No one is indispensable ( Madrid let Renaldo go when they thought the cash for him was worth more than his potential goals.)

Last edited:
So very true Marc, the women showed the men how to win and since 1966.

This sort of thing annoys me - the men won the Euros at the U19 tournament this year too and have won in other years. We have won a number of tournaments since 66.

In some ways I agree, in others not.

I thought it was entertaining, flowing, plenty of "ooohhh" moments, excellent pass and shot for Englands first goal, time/game management for last 5 mins was excellent (although Germans so poor at that bit). It was good to watch, but the quality was lower than L1 or even L2 level football IMO. Of course all players make mistakes but thought a lot of them very very basic ones.

Ref was definately League 2 standard, awful, and the final aside, the goalkeeping in the tournament has been awful.

This sort of thing annoys me - the men won the Euros at the U19 tournament this year too and have won in other years. We have won a number of tournaments since 66.
Don’t know anything about football but if U19 refers to age wouldn’t that be boys not men :LOL: :exit:

But not at the top senior level like this. (perhaps they should appoint some women managers.)

But not at the top senior level like this. (perhaps they should appoint some women managers.)

But the U19s is the top level at that grouping - There are different groups of football, mens senior, mens women and all the teams at U21, U19 etc... groups. Why would you group one or two together and not the others?

With me I am not on about the U19 and best of luck to them, it's the other lot of over payed men will not win anything big again like 66.

Scotland won the U19 Euros, 1982.

the goalkeeping in the tournament has been awful.
But, you cannot compare keeping in the Women's game with the men's. Keepers in the men's game can often touch the crossbar without really trying. The women are trying to defend a much larger area, proportionally.

Totally agree, I see load of post about how it's the first time we've won anything.

We have literally dozens of World and European champions, they just happen to be in sports TV and the media have zero interest in.

Frankly, I couldn't give a flying posterior release of gas about winning or losing these games.

What impressed both my wife and me was the excellent game play of the girls. The way they kept the German team boxed up in their side of the pitch after the second goal, was a demonstration of how I think the game should be played and their friendly behaviour towards their opponents after the game was a lesson to all.

As you probably all know, female football was so popular during and after WW1 that the FA banned it.

But, you cannot compare keeping in the Women's game with the men's. Keepers in the men's game can often touch the crossbar without really trying. The women are trying to defend a much larger area, proportionally.

I am not, thats the point, is some posters on here who ARE comparing the mens and womens games, and the media at large.

I did think the German keeper looked quite small (for a keeper), but the quality of keeping is not just about the crossbar, the Swedish keeper for example was just awful!

Frankly, I couldn't give a flying posterior release of gas about winning or losing these games.

What impressed both my wife and me was the excellent game play of the girls. The way they kept the German team boxed up in their side of the pitch after the second goal, was a demonstration of how I think the game should be played and their friendly behaviour towards their opponents after the game was a lesson to all.

Yes, that was an excellent 5 minutes and the perfect example of winding down the clock.

But the U19s is the top level at that grouping - There are different groups of football, mens senior, mens women and all the teams at U21, U19 etc... groups. Why would you group one or two together and not the others?
Some people have graduation ceremonies from kindergartens as well.

Age groups are just age groups, it means very little when the move up as adults, some do well but many do not.
Premiership teams contain players from many age groups, even those do not compare with winning national teams.

Totally agree, I see load of post about how it's the first time we've won anything.

We have literally dozens of World and European champions, they just happen to be in sports TV and the media have zero interest in.

Here is a prime example, never in the running for SPOTY, hardly ever mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back