Connecting old School Amp to Blutooth or wireless

Mr Bump

From under the bridge
Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
I am looking for a solution to enable me to connect an old school AMP RCA connections to WIFO or Blutooth.
Basicall we (me and the wife) are moving away from conventional CD repay to completely digital.
With that end I have ripped everything we have to FLAC and its on its way to the HUBIC cloud as backup.
We will now just use digital replay via devices such as our Roberts Stream 93i (we have 3x) which connect wirelessly to our central microserver via DLNA.
We can then browse and choose whatever we play and where.

However I would like to keep a bigger solution for the lounge and still have a nice Denon Mini system which has a nice Analog In via RCA.

So what does folk recommend.

This jumped out on first search

http://www.ebuyer.com/743834-logitech-bluetooth-audio-receiver-adapter-980-000913

or you could always just get a chromecast audio (i also have one of these and is very good for casting audio, i have mine optically linked to a DAC). but i believe these have recently gone back up in price.

chromecast audio is interesting, i have an old normal one and it is ok
only thing i don't like is the chromcast whinges when it is not connected to the internet.

chromecast audio is interesting, i have an old normal one and it is ok
only thing i don't like is the chromcast whinges when it is not connected to the internet.

not sure how the guest mode works but might be worth looking in to. but both of mine are always online so can't really comment.

the SMSL sd793-ii is very good bang for buck. headphone amp is very good and unamped RCA for output.

edit although no RCA input so forgot i mentioned it :D

Last edited:
I allready HQ side well sorted.
Its all about getting rid of the CD setup and all the crap that goes with that and moving to a more simple and easy to move from house to house setup moving to the KISS mode of operation.

down the line we will be retiring to a house in Greece so I want very much less tech and also less clutter.

I allready HQ side well sorted.
Its all about getting rid of the CD setup and all the crap that goes with that and moving to a more simple and easy to move from house to house setup moving to the KISS mode of operation.

down the line we will be retiring to a house in Greece so I want very much less tech and also less clutter.

Bluetooth will not stream flac files.

Last edited:
yeah the more i look at it the more a WIFI solutions looks better as it would be much easier to work with.
Yeah I think a nas hardrive network is the best option.

If you have a Amazon fire box or something similar with a optical out you can access the network with that and feed it through a behringer dac then into the amp.

Last edited:
The Chromecast audio and was drive sounds the easiest solution.

really? just tried it with flac (971kbps bitrate) from my mobile via bluetooth to one of those a2dp devices above and works fine.

I had a Arcam rblink and that would stream flac, I thought Apt x allowed Flac

WIFI seems a better solution from a point of view as I think the throuput would be quicker and more reliable.

really? just tried it with flac (971kbps bitrate) from my mobile via bluetooth to one of those a2dp devices above and works fine.
Are you sure? Bluetooth uses SBC codec with limited bandwidth of 328 kbps. It may well be playing but not lossless.

Last edited:
Bluetooth can't stream FLAC, but things like your phone will convert FLAC to Bluetooth audio though you will loose quality.

If you're at all interested in multi room then Sonos or Bluesound would be good place to look at no too expensive. Higher up companies like Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Cambridge Audio, etc will sell you a UPnP compatible audio player which will work well with analogue (RCA) in on your Denon.

Are you sure? Bluetooth uses SBC codec with limited bandwidth of 328 kbps. It may well be playing but not lossless.
Except when it is using aptx which is not SBC codec. And what kpbs is required is dependent on the algorithm used.

Bluetooth can't stream FLAC, but things like your phone will convert FLAC to Bluetooth audio though you will loose quality.

If you're at all interested in multi room then Sonos or Bluesound would be good place to look at no too expensive. Higher up companies like Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Cambridge Audio, etc will sell you a UPnP compatible audio player which will work well with analogue (RCA) in on your Denon.

Not really looking for a multi room solution as i don't feel that the kit offers good enough sound quality for value for money.
I recently visited a friends house who had sonos and it was ok at bestand considering each of those little speakers is best part of £150 no thanks.

As a test I recently purchased a pair of active speakers a set of TIBO PLUS 3 as below and connected to the line out of the Roberts Stream 93i they are epic and blow the sonos out of the water in so many ways.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/standmount-speakers/tibo/plus-3/tibo-plus-3

Except when it is using aptx which is not SBC codec. And what kpbs is required is dependent on the algorithm used.

Honestly I have no equipment to check what the output is. I'll try and do some back to back testing tomorrow from the Bluetooth adapter and GCA/dac.

Chip specs for the adapter say Bluetooth v2.0 +EDR with data rate up to 3mbps.

Seems it also extends well beyond SBC codec to mpeg4 etc?

Last edited:
or you could always just get a chromecast audio (i also have one of these and is very good for casting audio, i have mine optically linked to a DAC). but i believe these have recently gone back up in price.

Just seen one of these at lunch as was browsing and good to hear that it's very good for audio. looks very interesting...

Reading about it, it appears you can mirror from your phone / laptop to it as well as playing over wi-fi / internet - would you be able to stream music from a NAS drive do you know ?

Cheers

Just seen one of these at lunch as was browsing and good to hear that it's very good for audio. looks very interesting...

Reading about it, it appears you can mirror from your phone / laptop to it as well as playing over wi-fi / internet - would you be able to stream music from a NAS drive do you know ?

Cheers
You can apparently stream to Chromecast from the synology ds audio app

Old article but I guess still relevant https://blog.synology.com/?p=2377

Edit more up to date, still mentions chromecast https://www.synology.com/en-us/dsm/6.0/packages/AudioStation

Last edited:
Not really looking for a multi room solution as i don't feel that the kit offers good enough sound quality for value for money.
I recently visited a friends house who had sonos and it was ok at bestand considering each of those little speakers is best part of £150 no thanks.

As a test I recently purchased a pair of active speakers a set of TIBO PLUS 3 as below and connected to the line out of the Roberts Stream 93i they are epic and blow the sonos out of the water in so many ways.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/standmount-speakers/tibo/plus-3/tibo-plus-3

I'm not surprised they're better than the Sonos, you've paired £200 speakers with a £140 system/amp and compared them to a £150 all in one streaming solution.

I was actually thinking the Sonos:Connect to add to your existing Denon system...

I'm not surprised they're better than the Sonos, you've paired £200 speakers with a £140 system/amp and compared them to a £150 all in one streaming solution.

yes but it is not £150 is it as you need 2x sonos to make a stereo pair so it is more like £300 versus £340 and it is amazing the difference, just saying.

Well i ordered a Jong A2 from amazon to try out for £20. will see how that works.
According to the blurb you can cast to it from W10 which could work really well for my FLAC library

Well i ordered a Jong A2 from amazon to try out for £20. will see how that works.
According to the blurb you can cast to it from W10 which could work really well for my FLAC library

Any luck ?

Does it work ?

Any luck ?

Does it work ?

sorry been away from this thread, my jongo2 arrived £20 from Amazon.
Apart from it had an american plug so i needed a travel adaper from my drawer it is superb.
using the Pure Connect Android App on my tablet to stream to it via wireless it is superb, i have mainly used internet radio on it so far.

i used an optical toslink cable from the jong to my denon mini which powers an old pair of wharfdale diamonds.
only issue i have found so far is the pure connect software doesn't like flac music to stream.

5 stars so far for £20 as the pure app for android seems very good.

As a slight digression, what's the preferred application for converting CDs to FLAC?

Back