Connections for surround sound

Name
Janice
Edit My Images
Yes
Can any of you clever people help me here.

We have HDTV, a DVD recorder/hard drive, a Sky HD box.

If I buy a surround speaker system.... (without a dvd box obviously) does it plug into the SKY HD box, the dvd player or what?

Edit: Actually Im thinking they probably plug into the TV....is that correct?

Can any of you clever people help me here.

We have HDTV, a DVD recorder/hard drive, a Sky HD box.

If I buy a surround speaker system.... (without a dvd box obviously) does it plug into the SKY HD box, the dvd player or what?

tv

You were so quick of the mark there...that my edit was written at the same time!! Thank you Brummie....my instincts were confirmed! (y)

I have everything input to an amp (TV, DVD etc) which then outputs the surround sound to the speakers.

You were so quick of the mark there...that my edit was written at the same time!! Thank you Brummie....my instincts were confirmed! (y)

Yeah my tv supports dolby so it makes sense but you can if you want just go through each individual.

P-E thats the same as any surround sound kit

yeah thats what I meant actually P-E.....I meant the amp that comes with the speakers..... not where should I actually plug in the speakers themselves. Sorry for any confusion..........it is the morning after the night before after all! ;)

ive got a cheapo surround sound setup that takes optical in from dvd, componant from Sky, not relevant i know, but hey

...but you just wanted to maintain the 15 posts a day average...? ;)

Depends upon the surround system and what inputs actully exists. It's always better to utilise individual connections from individual components because the equalization is uniquely optimized. There are a load of standards now in the electronics industry so interconnections are usually not a problem.... there a still some rogues though .....

Question arises.... what if you want to record from one source and listen/watch from another?

Better seperate connections methinks ;)

Actually...perhaps someone can help me again!!

I already have 4 speakers in the corners of the rooms from the last tv....however the wires end up behind the tv just as bare wires...thats how they connected to the last tv.

What would you do to create surround sound? Wire the ends into some connectors so I can put them in the tv?

The tv doesnt say surround sound...it just has this XTtrue sound thing which is a pretend surround as far as I can tell....does that mean the speakers need to go into the dvd player? Samsung TV http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/455_320510.html

and Samsung dvd http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/241_321826.html

Reading the specs of the kit you've got your speakers need to connect into a surround sound preamp/amp of some sort..... you need to buy summink else yet for true 5.1/DTS sound :(

You should (eventually) be able to use your old cables to speakers.....

Yes...it looks like I need a home theatre kit (without DVD player) but with 5.1 decoder?

I have been working out what plugs into what. if the tv goes out to the 5.1 unit with speakers...will everthing that goes into the tv in the first place then be 5.1? ie, sky hd, dvd player etc?

Take your pick from these Clicky here. Don't get one with a DVD player though ;)

Take everything into the decoder/amp if you can. Loads of inputs needed..... ;)

I have a surround sound amplifier - a Denon 3802 that I bought some years ago. My 7 surround speakers and sub woofer are all connected to it. The stereo sound from the TV goes to one input, digital surround output from the DVD player goes to another, stereo from the ntl box to another and so on - everything sound wise goes to the amplifier.

Most of the time it is set to the TV input so what you see on TV you hear through the amplifier. The amplifier turns stereo into pseudo surround - called dolby pro logic II.
Proper surround with separate sounds recorded for each speaker has to come from a digital input not normal stereo plugs.

As has been suggested it is a huge subject and a lot to read up on if you want to understand it.
I got into forums through avforums but have lost interest in upgrading now I have a system that works.

You're right marianne. I do all the tv/hifi stuff here.

I have wired the house so every bedroom has 2 extra channels showing what is on our 2 satellite boxes at the time.,and what is on the downstairs video, also my kitchen tv has the same...and the tv on this computer too! I'm buggered if Im gonna miss anything!!! :LOL:

Just getting to grips with this surround thing...then I'll be sorted.
I cant see paying good money for wonderful pictures from SKY HD, and not have wonderful sound too.

I struggle with the concept of paying money to SKY ...... :(

I'm so glad Marianne and I both know where the "OFF" button is!

Surround sound with DTS is phenomal! We watched a war film the other day and I saw Marianne actully "duck" ... dodging a hail of machine gun fire! :LOL:

As for "War of the Worlds".... superb! Although, I'm only allowed to watch it again by myself.... :(

Back