Contact print contrast

Asha

Blithering Idiot
Name
Asha
Edit My Images
Yes
I've done a couple of contact prints from 10x8 negatives by simply placing photo paper on a table, neg onto the paper, then a piece of 4mm glass on top to complete the "sandwich".
Hit the lights for X amount of seconds to expose and hey presto, a photograph ( following development of course!)
The results have been OK ish.

My question is about increasing contrast.

As I have multigrade contrast filters for the enlarger, I'm wondering if I was to sit the "sandwich" below the enlarger lamp and shine that through a filter, would that offer increased contrast to the contact print?

If not, then is there a way to increase contrast of contact prints ?

Might be possible to do some trickery with developer strength and temperature, but I can't say for sure.

I'd be exposing under the enlarger with the contrast filters, though - much easier to get consistent and repeatable results.

Yes, definitely use the light from the enlarger, so you can control the brightness and get a well-exposed contact sheet. Generally, you should use a grade 0 or 1 filter. The idea being that you create a print with plenty of detail in both shadow and highlight areas. It doesn’t matter that the contrast isn’t ‘right’ for a particular print, more that you can evaluate whether it’s in focus, and is well framed etc.

Edit: just realised you’re talking contact PRINTS, not contact SHEETS! Ignore me :oops: :$

Last edited:
If I'm understanding you Asha, then yes you should be using filters to increase the contrast of the enlarger light. The info sheet that came with the paper may tell you what filtration to use for each grade.

If I'm understanding you Asha, then yes you should be using filters to increase the contrast of the enlarger light. .

I have a habit of explaining myself in a complicated manner....Sorry!

Normally with an enlarger one has the following elements starting from the top:

Lamp
Negative
Contrast filter
Paper

With my contact prints the elements will be in a different order:

Lamp
Contrast filter
Negative
Paper

If the contrast filter will function in the same manner regrdless of its location then I'm good to go.

The contrast depends on the light as it hits the paper, so the position of the neg shouldn't matter. You can also get filters that fit below the enlarger, and that works as well as filtration in the enlarger head above the negative.

Last edited:
Back