Contacting FOMAPAN

Asha

Blithering Idiot
Name
Asha
Edit My Images
Yes
Can anyone please help with a contact email addy that actually works and allows contact with Fomapan.

I am experiencing an issue with their film and feel that perhaps it is a "bad batch"

Attempted two emails to the following addresses, both of which have been rejected and come back to me with a postmaster message.

foma@foma.cz (foma@foma.cz)

purchase@foma.cz (purchase@foma.cz)

Where did you purchase them from? Might be they'd rather not deal with the public and rather with their 3rd party retailers.

The contact us page on their website has that first e-mail .

There's also a phone number and an address

The contact us page on their website has that first e-mail .

There's also a phone number and an address

Thanks Simon, but that's where I obtained the addys in the first place.

Email contact is required to enable me to share a couple of files that show the problem.

FOMA BOHEMIA spol. s r.o. (Ltd.)
Jana Krusinky 1737/6
500 02 Hradec Kralove
Czech Republic, EU
VAT Reg. No.:CZ62024078
e-mail: foma@foma.cz
Tel.:+420 495 733 243 Fax:+420 495 733 376 Fax:+420 495 733 3

Where did you purchase them from? Might be they'd rather not deal with the public and rather with their 3rd party retailers.

Macodirect.

Actually Steveo, you're possibly right and making contact via the retailer may offer a solution.

I'll see if I can get an email to them.

I just sent a test email via the link and it has not bounced back

Attempted two emails to the following addresses, both of which have been rejected and come back to me with a postmaster message.

What was the message?

It could be the way that your own account is set up. Have you tried another email address of your own?

Just forwarded the rejected email onto Macodirect……..Hopefully they will help in resolving the film issue.

Just for info this is a very small section of the negative scan zoomed in at 30%

The neg was scanned at 2400 ppi and saved to TIFF

Having gone through the potential causes of dust, chemicals, negative drying methods and scanning methods, it is clear (to me) that the problem is solely with the 10x8 sheets of Fomapan 100 .

ALL other negs of 4x5 ( Delta, FP4+ and Fomapan 100 ) and a couple of 10x8 negs shot using FP4+ do not show evidence of the same "snowstorm" problem of white dots.

Crop 2.jpg

I am not saying that this is the problem here but I have heard that using an acid stop bath with Foma films can cause a release of carbon dioxide inside the emulsion which causes, in turn, very small holes.

I am not saying that this is the problem here but I have heard that using an acid stop bath with Foma films can cause a release of carbon dioxide inside the emulsion which causes, in turn, very small holes.

I’ve read that somewhere too although I can’t say that I’ve experienced any differences in how the emulsion behaves using a stop bath or just plain water tbh.

What is so baffling in this particular case is that the issue applies purely to the 10x8 sheets and not the smaller format of the same film.

Since you're still in the EU over there I would assume that your first port of call would be the retailer and as far as I have experienced MacoDirect are pretty good at sorting out problems, assuming they're still working.

Since you're still in the EU over there I would assume that your first port of call would be the retailer and as far as I have experienced MacoDirect are pretty good at sorting out problems, assuming they're still working.

I was simply trying to avoid the middle man tbh seeing as they themselves may have to contact fomapan for advice before offering any possible replacement/ financial refund.

I’m sure maco will respond even if it takes sometime should they have ceased trading for the moment.

I've used foma@foma.cz in the past and then you usually get a reply back from a specific person, they're email being firstname.lastname@foma.cz . I experienced some 120 Fomapan 200 that had imperfections in the emulusion and they were most helpful. It's odd that they're bouncing back. If you're still struggling happy to PM you the specific addresses of the people i've dealt with :)

Thanks Simon I may take you up on that depending what, if any response I get from Macodirect.
According to their website they are still operating atm and aim to reply to any queries within 24 hours so all being well I will hear from them tomorrow.
Good to know that you have experienced positive outcomes with them ( foma) in the past....Hopefully similar will apply in this case.

Last edited:
Thanks Simon I may take you up on that depending what, if any response I get from Macodirect.
According to their website they are still operating atm and aim to reply to any queries within 24 hours so all being well I will hear from them tomorrow.
Good to know that you have experienced positive outcomes with them in the past....Hopefully similar will apply in this case.

No problem Asha. Hope you get the issues resolved quickly.

Email received from Maco this morning confirming receipt of my message.
They are still operating albiet with minimal staff so services are prone to delay.
They will however address my issue and reply asap.

[emoji4]

Reply received today from Maco and an email returned with the info requested:

Dear Asha,

I'm going to contact Foma.

Can you please also tell me the batch number and the expiration date.

And which developer did you use?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Mit freundlichen Grüßen | With best regards

Sebastian Junghans
Customer Service

macodirect.de
Brookstieg 4 | 22145 Stapelfeld | Germany
Phone +49 (0) 40 23 70 08 88
Fax +49 (0) 40 23 70 08 488
E-Mail service@macodirect.de
Web www.macodirect.de

An update from Maco today even if not a particularly positive one.

No surprise that responses are long winded.

Like many other things......a patient waiting game.

Dear Asha,

Thank you for the information. I have forwarded the complaint to Foma, but unfortunately I have not yet received a reply.

I asked again today.

Sebastian Junghans
Customer Service

Just received a very positive reply from Fomapan / Macodirect

Dear Asha,

Thank you for your patience. I have now received a reply from Foma.

"So, please as regards dots, said points are the remnants of an insufficiently rinsed insulating layer. This can occur, especially when using less alkaline developers. Additionally it is possible remove these dots by washing in an alkaline solution, for example the developer solution used by the user.
Please inform the user about this option. However, we are ready to send a replacement for this material, please let me know if 1 piece is sufficient as a replacement."

Foma will replace your material. Do you plan to place an order in the near future? Then we could ship your order and the replacement together. Free shipping for you, of course.

Stay healthy,

Sebastian Junghans
Customer Service

I’m unsure if re washing the negs that were processed a number of weeks / months ago in an alkaline solution will prove beneficial or not, I can only try.
I do however now have some understanding as to how the dotty problem can occur.

The offer to replace the film and for Maco to waver postal fees should I order additional items is imo an excellent customer service .....Hats off to both companies![emoji106]

If anyone can advise me further, based on the response from Foma, then I’m eager to listen and learn as I’ve never before experienced such a reaction with film. [emoji6]

That’s a top response from both Maco and Foma, customer service at its best.

Back