Contactless card fraud

Well I lolled......Bump...[emoji23]

many a true word said in jest though, it is an absolute pile of crap the housing situation down there but it is a choice, can't see the attraction personally but there ya go.
I know it's nuts there all nuts south of Doncaster.

Well I lolled......Bump...:ROFLMAO:

many a true word said in jest though, it is an absolute pile of crap the housing situation down there but it is a choice, can't see the attraction personally but there ya go.

However, when you have people like my brother in law, who was always in debt, spent every penny he had on the latest thing, keeping up with the jonses, then sells a 2 bed flat for £500K and moves out of london...

Swings and roundabouts. Salaries are much higher, houses make more money

However, when you have people like my brother in law, who was always in debt, spent every penny he had on the latest thing, keeping up with the jonses, then sells a 2 bed flat for £500K and moves out of london...

Swings and roundabouts. Salaries are much higher, houses make more money

best thing he did I suppose take the cash and spend it.
I feel sad for people who have to live where the work is but get bummed for housing.

Heard the strangest reason for not using contactless cards yesterday, because it takes longer for the money to come out out of your bank account :thinking:
The explanation was that when you check your account balance at a machine it shows money in the account that you have already spent WTF
Do people really do things this way or let their accounts t=run that low that spending a few quid puts them over.
I remember my now ex doing that once, and sending our account into the red, leaving me unable to pay an important bill, he had bought something we didn't need, his explanation was he had checked the account in a machine and there was enough in there :banghead:
Luckily as it was the first time then bank were great and dropped the charges

Heard the strangest reason for not using contactless cards yesterday, because it takes longer for the money to come out out of your bank account :thinking:
The explanation was that when you check your account balance at a machine it shows money in the account that you have already spent WTF
Do people really do things this way or let their accounts t=run that low that spending a few quid puts them over.
I remember my now ex doing that once, and sending our account into the red, leaving me unable to pay an important bill, he had bought something we didn't need, his explanation was he had checked the account in a machine and there was enough in there :banghead:
Luckily as it was the first time then bank were great and dropped the charges

Heard that a lot in the shop, and it is true, had the payment been made by chip & pin it would have shown up instantly. Same with paypal purchases which take a few days to appear.

I had my first issue using my contactless card this week.

I was in town Saturday and went to pay for my coffee with my contacless card as I usually do, the girl behind the counter suddenly announces that it is not working and I needed to pay cash, which I duly did

I checked my statement this morning and there was the contactless payment for Saturdays coffee, so I have ended up paying twice.

I had my first issue using my contactless card this week.

I was in town Saturday and went to pay for my coffee with my contacless card as I usually do, the girl behind the counter suddenly announces that it is not working and I needed to pay cash, which I duly did

I checked my statement this morning and there was the contactless payment for Saturdays coffee, so I have ended up paying twice.
With contactless, you should be reading the terminal screen yourself, not relying on staff.

so I have ended up paying twice.
I guess someone didn't pay and you ended up paying for theirs too ;)
( Rather than the girl that is ;) )

With contactless, you should be reading the terminal screen yourself, not relying on staff.

Same goes for all card transactions, but customers enter some sort of zen state whilst their card needs to be used...

Try not to be so judgmental

I did/do read the terminal all was as it should be, despite that the girl behind that counter claimed it had not worked, so I paid again but this time in cash.

I did/do read the terminal all was as it should be, despite that the girl behind that counter claimed it had not worked, so I paid again but this time in cash.
Nice bonus for her then, if you paid cash ;)

If the terminal said the payment had gone through, how would the girl know otherwise? Personally, I would have argued and not paid.

A quick chat with the manager this afternoon and didn't pay for my coffee.

Further training will be given to the Saturday girls on how to process contactless payments properly

A quick chat with the manager this afternoon and didn't pay for my coffee.

Further training will be given to the Saturday girls on how to process contactless payments properly

I bet they are processed no differently to any other payments, and you were the victim of either 1) Fraud or 2) an IT error. Once payment is made and accepted, your sale is completed. If her till didn't automatically go to a new customer screen after taking your payment card then there was a problem with the system which needs addressing. In several years of working with these things I've only known 3 instances of customers paying twice, and in all cases the till crashed between taking payment and registering it on the screen, and in all cases once it rebooted it came up with a message telling us that the previous transaction had been processed successfully. Trouble is that would be some 10 minutes after the customer had paid at another till and left.

Heard that a lot in the shop, and it is true, had the payment been made by chip & pin it would have shown up instantly. Same with paypal purchases which take a few days to appear.
No not always. Depends when the retailer cashes up the card terminal, which some like to do several days later which can get very frustrating if you've assumed it's left your account already.

The auth might change the available balance compared to the actual balance on an act but not all banking apps show that.

I bet they are processed no differently to any other payments, and you were the victim of either 1) Fraud or 2) an IT error. Once payment is made and accepted, your sale is completed. If her till didn't automatically go to a new customer screen after taking your payment card then there was a problem with the system which needs addressing. In several years of working with these things I've only known 3 instances of customers paying twice, and in all cases the till crashed between taking payment and registering it on the screen, and in all cases once it rebooted it came up with a message telling us that the previous transaction had been processed successfully. Trouble is that would be some 10 minutes after the customer had paid at another till and left.
You're lucky you sound like you worked with epos software that was reasonably well coded.

10 years in retail IT and I came to the conclusion most epos software needed to drop the E on the acronym...

Back