Contax G2 or EOS 3?

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
So, I'm deciding to ditch digital completely. I've looked through my photos over the past 18-months since I started photography and realised that 75% of my favourite shots were done with a film camera. In fact I hardly use my 40D anymore. The only reason I do like the digital is in situations that I need to check how the shot came out in the viewfinder - it's unbeatable when it comes to experimenting... Nevertheless, my style is definitely evolving into being more selective about what shots I take and I am seeing the wisdom in not just snapping away hoping to get a winner out of 300+ shots in an average day.

While I still respect digital for what it is, I cannot deny how awesome the quality of film is - the depth of colour, the saturation, the shift from something which you see with your eyes into something that borders on surreal - it's entertainment at it's finest... :wacky:

Anyway - thought I should get that off my chest before asking: which camera to replace my 40D?

I've owned an EOS 3 before and am aware of it's merits plus it will compliment my 24-105 very nicely. So with this option I get to use film in a camera which is basicaly the same as my 40D - no big learning curve. However...

I've been lusting after a Contax G2 for some time now and after seeing a colleague's shots with this little beauty, I've almost convinced myself that this will be the answer to my prayers. The main reaosn for wanting this is it's size. I love using my Bronica for landscapey stuff, but she's a bit of a beast when wanting to go for a bike ride or doing some street togging. I can imagine a Contax G2 suiting this role very nicely, and of course it's a lovely system and has extremely good lenses. It's just an unknown entity to me in terms of useability - I fear that the difference between it being a rangefinder (albeit with autofocus/lightmeter etc.) and what I'm used to (SLR) will leave me with regrets...

Any comments welcome (y)

I don't have a G2 but I do have a rangefinder (Zorki), If i'm honest I prefare my EOS 3 to the rangefinder.

However, my rangefinder is old and has not frame lines etc so can be difficult to compose with.

Any thoughts on maybe a Bessa? They take leica lenses and are supposed to be good, but they are manual.

I had looked at the Bessas, but not 100%. I'm really after a camera that has a lightmeter built in as well.

Hmm - just been looking at the R3A. Apart from autofocus, it looks great... and I'm fairly used to not having AF on the likes of my Bronica. I like the fact it takes Leica lenses.... hmmmmmmmmm. Bit more reading to do.

I know CT has a Contax and produces some wonderful images from it.

I looked at a Contax G1 sometime ago, it is a nice design, but I found the viewfinder to be very poor. The camera had a 35-70 on it and when you zoomed the view finder also zoomed, but it was not nice. But this is a personal thing, it may well suit you.

I would "try before you buy".

The Bessa's are very nice and very much in the same design school as the Leicas. Bright view finders. All off them apart from the early ones the 'L' and 'T' models have light meters.
The ones with an 'A' like the R2A have aperature priorty, the ones with 'M' do not as they are manual only.

Check this website out http://www.cameraquest.com/classics.htm
it has loads of info on loads of Rangefinders including Voightlanders :D

One questions about the Bessa and non-AF rangefinders in general... since you can't see the image focusing in the viewfinder, how do you know when you have achieved the correct focus?

I have an EOS3 and I have a Contax G2. The EOS 3 is great, but you know that having had one so I wont bore you with details about that - other than the fact that it's a big plus that it uses all your EF lenses.

The Contax G2 is just awesom IMO - it produces tack sharp, beautifully exposed shots time after time with great colour and has some of the sharpest lenses you're ever going to get which you can pick up at comparatively silly money.

The speed and reliabilty of the AF rivals a DSLR - in fact the whole experience is very similar to shooting with a DSLR. The viewfinder actualy changes shape and masks down to fit the lens in use and again to compensate for parallax. If you leave it on AP auto it's very much point and shoot which suits me just fine.

The camera, flash and 4 lenses all fit into a tiny little crumpler bag and the lot is no significant weight at all - very pleasant to carry, although I tend to make up my mind which lens I'm taking and stick with it, so even more convenient.

When the camera is pressed up against your skull you're very aware of the gorgeous little snicky, whirry noises it makes and might be tempted to think it's noisy, but from just a few feet away it's all inaudible - very quiet compared to a DSLR. It attracts a lot less attention than a DSLR too - people seem to think it's some sort of compact and I've got away unchallenged in places where I wouldn't have with the DSLR.

I'd highly recommend it unless you're a die hard all manual Leica type person in which case it probably wont suit you. I'll ty to find a link to some pics.

Some G2 pics.

Since I took these, I've adjusted the height of my neg carriers - these aren't actually quite optimally sharp.

Thanks zeroeseight for that link - makes a bit more sense now - I think I will need to try before buying however.

CT - this is the general feeling I've been getting about the Contax - portability, ease of use and very high quality lenses. I've also been coming up against Leica v Contax/automated v manual debates during my internet searches, so not really sure what to go for. I think I need to visit a shop like MXV or Mr Cad to try some of these out and see which one suites me best.

I think the EOS 3 is great too, but I'm really looking for something lightweight...

CT - this is the general feeling I've been getting about the Contax - portability, ease of use and very high quality lenses. I've also been coming up against Leica v Contax/automated v manual debates during my internet searches, .

LOL some of those 'debates' get quite heated don't they? :D

A lot of Leica M series owners also have a G2.;)

Great Contax shots there CT - really sharp despite your neg carriers.

I think I might do a direct swap... 40D (plus CF cards etc.) + 24-105mm for a G2 outfit... oh the pain of letting digital go!

LOL some of those 'debates' get quite heated don't they? :D

A lot of Leica M series owners also have a G2.;)

As far as I can see they're two entirely different cameras - don't know how you can compare them to each other :shrug: :LOL:

I would only buy a Leica because it's a Leica (and only if I was rolling in dosh!) :bonk:

As far as I can see they're two entirely different cameras - don't know how you can compare them to each other :shrug: :LOL:

Oh ... they're very different. I love Leicas, but I know they're not for me. The fact that you have to disassemble the camera to load a film, and that they finally added an AP mode with the M7 FFS! The M7 is the one I'd go for if I was so inclined but it's still manual focus.

Curiously I love the all - manual thing, including manual focusing with MF - makes it all more of a satisfying ritual somehow, but I find I like a quicker camera including AF with 35mm - probably totally illogical. :shrug:

Great Contax shots there CT - really sharp despite your neg carriers.

I think I might do a direct swap... 40D (plus CF cards etc.) + 24-105mm for a G2 outfit... oh the pain of letting digital go!

Truthfully, if it wasn't for the fact that I'm mostly hung up on shooting birds, which isn't very practical with film given the keepers to binners ratio, I'd happily swap to film in a blink now and opt out of the DSLR constant upgrade game altogether.

I know what you mean... and why didn't Canon/Nikon ever invent a film camera that has a cheapish digital sensor and lcd viewfinder for experimenting where you can flip the sensor out of the way once you're satisfied that you have all your settings inputted correctly :shrug:

LOL... oooer!

Just before they discontinued the G2 it was discounted and sold in kit form with the flash, and three lenses, 45mm, 28mm and 90mm.There are a lot of these 'kits' on the 2nd hand market and it's a good way to buy one.

The other lenses are a 35mm, a zoom (quite rare and not well thought of) the 21mm and the 16mm - both very pricey, especially from the far east - avoid that route whatever you do!

Just be aware that the only person who has parts for these cameras now is in Canada and he doesn't take work from abroad at all. There are no problems with the camera though that I'm aware of other than you do see some with a bit of 'bleed' on the LCD screens. Pretty bullet proof considering the technology packed into it.

They did the camera in titanium and in a black fiinsh with black lenses to match and with the black commanding more money, but I prefer the titanium finish - it's pretty durable.

Thanks CT - I'll probably avoid the zoom and go with a set of primes. Still deciding if the G2 is the one to go for, though... makes so much sense. The titanium finish looks soooo cool. :)

I want an SLR that fits into my cycling jersey pocket basically (y)

If that doesn't work out, something like a G2 would fit the bill very nicely...

I recently acquired an original Contax GC-211 ever ready case. Rare as rocking horse poo now, but it might be the thing for your biking? I always abhored the things, especially with a DSLR but it's so handy with the G2 for slinging it around and not worrying too much about it.

Couple of links which might help in your deliberations...

http://contaxg.com/contaxuser/lenses.html

http://www.kenrockwell.com/contax/g-system.htm

http://photo.culture.u-bordeaux1.fr/FtpPhoto/JCB/Pentax/documentation/The_best_3_Pentax_lenses.pdf

Great links there, CT - thanks. I think I'm all set to get from ffordes:

Contact G2 with 28mm, 45mm and 90mm lenses, a GG3 lens hood and a TLA200 flashgun... and then later track down some 'P' filters for protecting the lens elements. The case sounds cool- will keep an eye out.

Ekimeno

I have G1. Compared to a SLR, its lighter, but solidly built. Its extremely easy to use; and fast. Plus the Lens are simply wonderful. I would pick up a G1 ( and actually any RF) over a SLR these days.

Good luck with your purchase

I'd be surprised if you don't love it -especially when you see the results you get from it. (y)

You should enjoy using your G2, I bought one when they first came out for my father but he doesn't use it now so has given it back to me. I tend to only use it with 21mm lens as purely for convenience I use digital SLRs for most shots.

I've got all the lenses and most accessories - even the extra power pack for keeping batteries warm in your pocket !! - but don't pay silly money, over the years I've picked up the extras for reasonable sums second-hand.

one thing to watch if you get the ever ready case is there is a tendancy for this to knock the drive selector dial to the timer delay mode and you may worry why the shutter hasn't fired !

The Contax G2 is just awesom IMO - it produces tack sharp, beautifully exposed shots time after time with great colour and has some of the sharpest lenses you're ever going to get which you can pick up at comparatively silly money.

All I can say CT is that I knew that my old G2 was going to good and appreciative hands. (y)

Glad to see you are enjoying it. It's a shame for me it didn't fit in with my style of shooting anymore. :shake: Good for you though. :)

All I can say CT is that I knew that my old G2 was going to good and appreciative hands. (y)

Glad to see you are enjoying it. It's a shame for me it didn't fit in with my style of shooting anymore. :shake: Good for you though. :)

Hey stranger! :wave:
Just for a minute there I thought you were after it back. :dummy:

Before the switch to digital I used Contax gear with Zeiss optics... There is NO better combination on the planet, I even tried the N1 Digital and although by todays standards it is a bad camera, in it's day it was absolutely FANTASTIC producing images very close to film did. of cause now we can shoot at ISO 6400 with very little noise at all... hmmmm, try that on Velvia

Go with the Contax G2 and some nice Zeiss primes, the Rolls Royce of photography

Ok to add to your delibaration........what about a Leica the M4-P M6 M6TTL M7 etc are all metered, VF to die for and some of the best lenses available ever made

vmlopes, my deliberations have been spiraling out of control over the past 24-hours - I've checked out the Leicas and TBH, they're too much on the expensive end of what I'm prepared to part with. Trying to keep my total outgoing under £500.. even less if I can.

The Contax G2 seems ideal.... but I've been doing a considerable amount of surfing around eBay and reading up on a lot of old classic rangefinders and SLRs. I've got a list of possibilities and may end up with more than one camera - some of which are extremely cheap, such as:

Canon Canonet, Minota A5, Praktica MTL5B, Minolta STR101/201, Fuji GSW690/670, Mamiya NC1000S... and the list is increasing.

I really like the idea of the small Canonet-style rangefinders but the Contax G2 is still very much high up on my pecking order...

Well, the desicion is finally made... I think.

It's going to be an EOS 3 (again :bonk:) and a Yashica Electro 35 GSN rangefinder... but before buying these, I bought a Canon Canonet off eBay for a tenner just to see what I think of this rangefinder lark... wish me luck (y)

Somewhere down the road, though, I see myself taking the plunge on either a Leica M6 or Contax G2... or both!

ekimeno

you are doomed. I know, I was doomed a few months back.

It all started with a Rolleiflex TLR in autumn last year. I am now putting up new shelves to put all of them now.

If you ever want to have a play woth some of these old RF ones, let me know. I am in London everyday, so we could meet up; and you could borrow my RFs

Ujjwal

ekimeno

you are doomed. I know, I was doomed a few months back.

It all started with a Rolleiflex TLR in autumn last year. I am now putting up new shelves to put all of them now.

If you ever want to have a play woth some of these old RF ones, let me know. I am in London everyday, so we could meet up; and you could borrow my RFs

Ujjwal

Thanks Ujjwal I may just take you up on that (y)

Back