Contax RX making weird whirring noise?

Name
Lucas
Edit My Images
Yes
Anybody have any idea why this might be happening? I recently procured a Contax RX film camera body, but when the battery is put in (no matter whether turned on or off) the camera starts making a continuous loud whirring sound. Occasionally (sporadically) it will stop and then start again for no apparent reason. Everything else seems to be fine - the shutter fires perfectly well and the thing turns on and displays information in the viewfinder, etc. When I open up the back, I can't see anything moving around at all, and I think I've traced the noise to inside the film advance/shutter compartment (I am yet to load any film in the camera for fear of losing it).

So my question is: does anybody have any experience with this odd whirring sound in a film camera and/or know what it might be?
And, furthermore, does anybody know anywhere good to have Contax cameras repaired in the UK?

If you haven't loaded a film it might have some auto load film feature. I'd get some cheapo Poundland film or old expired film and stick a roll in. If it loads and the whirring stops then it's just wanting you to put in a film :) I'm sure my Samsung compact was similar.

If you haven't loaded a film it might have some auto load film feature. I'd get some cheapo Poundland film or old expired film and stick a roll in. If it loads and the whirring stops then it's just wanting you to put in a film :) I'm sure my Samsung compact was similar.

Thanks, I'll give that a go

Hi Lucas, I have a contax RX and it doesn't behave like that. As Suz says it's worth putting a film in to see what it does. That said, the camera has a very fast and quiet winding action, quite unlike other motor drive cameras. It winds exceptionally quickly and does not whir. It does whir when rewinding a finished film. There is a dual action press and rotate switch on the back of the camera by the viewfinder, it might be worth pressing and releasing this a few times to check this isn't jammed.

Hope this helps.

Update: no luck at all, sadly. Repair shop quoted a frankly outrageous price to fix it - looks like it has bitten the dust!

Update: no luck at all, sadly. Repair shop quoted a frankly outrageous price to fix it - looks like it has bitten the dust!

Have you tried Miles Whitehead? used by a lot of folk on here. He will give you an idea of cost from an email description, and will not charge you if it turns out un-repairable on arrival.

mwcamerarepairs@gmail.com

Did you try a £1 film in it ? may be all it needs maybe not , Its worth the £1 investment to find out

I did try a £1 film in it - no luck, unfortunately! At least the film was still salvageable though, so I haven't thrown away the pound ;)

Oh and I've also contacted Miles about a different repair, and will send him the RX to have a look at along with that - thanks for all your help - hopefully I can update happily in the weeks to come...or failing that sell it for parts and cut my losses!

But is it push processing up the daisies?

It is DX camera!

Are you sure it's not just resting'?

Back