1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. EightBitTony

EightBitTony

Name:
    Tony
    Edit My Images:
    No
    My photography is pretty chaotic. I'm still mostly a 'shoot what you see' kind of person. After an injury last year, I wanted even more to get out and just take photographs, but sometimes I would wander for hours without inspiration, get frustrated and question the whole point.

In order to give myself at least one goal when I was out, if I didn't have anything specific in mind, I decided to photograph contiguous numbers. By which I mean, find numbers in the environment, starting with 1, and then carrying on. I can't take shots in advance (i.e. no shooting 37 before 36 just because the 37 is a really good example), I try not to use the same kind of number twice in a row (i.e. house numbers), can't use parts of a number unless they're clearly separated, etc.

Anyway, I've been doing this since March 2017. I'm up to #46, trying to find a good #47.

Here's a link to the full album on Flickr - https://flic.kr/s/aHskWmNjLo

And a couple of numbers from the sequence.

[​IMG]#2 by Tony Evans, on Flickr

[​IMG]#11 by Tony Evans, on Flickr

[​IMG]#36 by Tony Evans, on Flickr

[​IMG]#39 by Tony Evans, on Flickr

Overall, I've found the project / theme really helpful. Sometimes I'm out with the camera for a specific purpose, and that's great. Other times I'm out and happy just to bimble around, but having the numbers in my head makes me look at the environment around me, and I see shots I would otherwise miss.

Eltheza, blakester and Ed Sutton like this.
  2. Kodiak Qc

Kodiak Qc

Name:
    French Canadian living in Europe since 1989!
    Edit My Images:
    Yes

That's a crazy idea, project… I love it.

Why #39 and not #760?
    Don't answer the question…

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    EightBitTony likes this.
  3. Ed Sutton

Ed Sutton

Name:
    Dave
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Shouldn't the number two photo be number 4? 2 + 2 = 4 :D

EightBitTony likes this.
  4. blakester

blakester Shine On Harvest Moon

Name:
    Iain
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Smashing idea for a project Tony (y)
    This could go on forever but do you have an end number in mind?

EightBitTony likes this.
  5. EightBitTony

EightBitTony

Name:
    Tony
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I feel like 100 might be a nice milestone. When I started, I thought the low numbers would be easy - but it's surprisingly hard, especially when I'm trying to not get too many 'easy' house numbers. Also, since I do most of my wandering about in the city centre, door numbers aren't always that prevalent. I imagined the high numbers would be really tough, but as I wander around I see quite a few 100+ on manhole covers, signs, lamp posts and the like. So anyway, I think I'll be happy to get to 100, and then see how I feel. At this rate, it'll take about 12 months too which will be a nice period of time!

There is one problem with this project / theme though, sometimes I go out to do some street photography and find myself staring at the walls and looking for numbers, and it's really hard (I find) to have a couple of themes in mind and on the go at the same time, so it's a bit all encompassing at times.

blakester likes this.
  6. EightBitTony

EightBitTony

Name:
    Tony
    Edit My Images:
    No
    ... and it's hard to explain how excited I was when I saw those numbers in the train station, I just knew there'd be one I needed (and I hadn't gone there looking for numbers). Finding numbers in unexpected locations has become quite a joy!

7. EightBitTony

EightBitTony

Name:
    Tony
    Edit My Images:
    No
    [​IMG]#47 by Tony Evans, on Flickr

I've searched high and low for a #47. I think, to date, it's required the most walking of any of the numbers I've photographed. I've walked all over Nottingham city centre, and the surrounding areas. I've been frustrated (I found a door between #45 and #49 which I knew was #47 but it had no number on it), and I've been tired. I've got a couple of grab shots, one from a bus stop and one which I faked by shooting the #47 on the end of a #147 but I knew I was never going to use it. Today, I stayed local and walked around the town centre where I live, and then I took a walk through the old gravestones that lean up against the wall around the church. There are probably around a hundred of them, and there's only one on which the age #47 appears. There are tragically too many where children died very young in the 1800's as well. A sombre place, and a sombre number.

blakester likes this.
  8. GrahamT

GrahamT

Name:
    Graham
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Great idea for a project. I doubt I would have the discipline not to fake it when the going got tough.

9. EightBitTony

EightBitTony

Name:
    Tony
    Edit My Images:
    No
    #48 turned out to be Chuckles Guesthouse in Derby.

[​IMG]#48 by Tony Evans, on Flickr

blakester likes this.
  10. EightBitTony

EightBitTony

Name:
    Tony
    Edit My Images:
    No
    And #49 which I'm pretty pleased with overall, is this one.

[​IMG]#49 by Tony Evans, on Flickr

blakester and Eltheza like this.
  11. blakester

blakester Shine On Harvest Moon

Name:
    Iain
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I am enjoying looking through your project Tony, I don't think you should stop at 100, I know I couldn't haha!

EightBitTony likes this.
  12. superpippo

superpippo

Name:
    Alan
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    A thoroughly interesting project, Tony.
    Simple concept and yet has its challenges.
    I particularly like 36 and the sense of movement introduced by the blue bus.
    Some inspired choices (y)

EightBitTony likes this.
  13. Tilz

Tilz

Name:
    Tilly
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I really like this idea Tony, I'm trying to think of a project to do myself at the moment

EightBitTony likes this.
  14. keef32

keef32

Name:
    Richard
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Really like the idea, I might have to give this one a go myself.

Find myself in the same sort of rut sometimes.

EightBitTony likes this.
  15. EightBitTony

EightBitTony

Name:
    Tony
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I had a #50 from Derby the same day I took #49, but it wasn't very inspiring, so I held out until I found one I preferred more (of course, it meant I had to walk past a few #51's).

[​IMG]#50 by Tony Evans, on Flickr

Tilz likes this.