Contingency planning for the future of F&C

I though he had? :p

(Poor sod though, in reality - we might be stuck with BoJo but at least he's just an arse, not a complete Richard Edward!)

It was Nick who suggested you should "f*** right off"! I merely suggested that you already had.

We of the long, grey beard should stick together (but not like Velcro - that would just be weird[er than long, grey beards!!!])

I have to say guy's although I don't hang around here that often, I do admire the camaraderie, and your intentions of forming a contingency plan. ( lets hope that it isn't needed eh?)
Its just a shame that I haven't noticed anything like this in other the forums.

I've also noticed that many of those that only post in none photographic area's haven't had the decency to wish Marcel well, or indeed just post a (y) in his thread :(
that hadn't gone un-noted here either...

Possibly because he posted it in Talk Photography and they wouldn't know where that was.

Possibly because he posted it in Talk Photography and they wouldn't know where that was.

I've just been out into that bright and chemical-less environment... It didn't smell right

EDIT: What I came here to say was to agree with previous statements about facebook groups. I'm a member of a few and while they're ok, they're nothing like as organised or as useful or as welcoming as what we've got here. They're just a bit too unwieldy to be a viable alternative I think

Last edited:
There was a pop up, with a link to Marcel's thread, I thought it was on all forums, when you visited?
Maybe it was just the important ones ;)

There was a pop up, with a link to Marcel's thread, I thought it was on all forums, when you visited?
Maybe it was just the important ones ;)
If it wasn’t highlighted in sepia we wouldn’t have seen it.

I've also noticed that many of those that only post in none photographic area's haven't had the decency to wish Marcel well, or indeed just post a (y) in his thread :(

It's also quite possible that many of them identify Marcel with the mods, and there may be some feelings of being hard-done-by and perhaps even resentment. The human emotion is a curious thing at times.

My understanding is thus:
Reddit is like a massive forum, and each sub reddit is like a sub forum under it. So the content of the F&C section would be a good example of a subreddit. .....

.... In short, it would work, it would be free, but it wouldn't have the same functionality. And if you wanted to have separate "areas" to discuss things you would need a separate subreddit for it.

In case we need a place to gather and discuss future plans should Option 2 come to pass at the end of the month I have set up a private subreddit for that. I sincerely hope that we do not need to use it. For now it will remain, like a nuclear bunker, hidden from view.

Regarding the running cost.
Why don't you just make the site a subscription model. Sure you'd loose member but at least the site would remain alive.

But if the comes to the worst then a Flickr group seems a good idea. For me it's the only social media I post my pictures to.
I have never done Facebook and will not start just for this forum as much I love and appreciate the community.

Reddit has a decent Analogue community already, very American centric, but full of good and knowledgeable folk. It is part owned by the CCP too, if that's an issue for people.

@Harlequin565 has summed up the joys of running a forum very well, as is so often the case the software, servers, etc is the straight forward bit, the wet-ware is the trouble. Small forums IME don't get enough new content so they wither and die and I think that means it would need in the hundreds of regular contributors.

I too was thinking Flickr would be a convenient solution and I did even make a very half hearted attempt to kick something off for the more contemplative TP members earlier this year - https://www.flickr.com/groups/14722736@N25/ but it hasn't (yet) reached critical mass.
Says invite only? [emoji26]

Just a quick note. I've not had chance to catch up with the thread yet....

However, I'd like to announce that discussions have been successful and TP will be continuing as is, with someone new at the helm.
More details soon, but I want to reassure you all that TP is not going anywhere and will stay as it is...infact you might not even notice the switch :p

;)

Yes yess yesss yesssss YESSSSSSSSSS!!

oh la la, it’s practically orgasmic !

This has to be the best news that I’ve read in a long time.

To all those responsible in having got TP this far and to all those responsible for keeping it going...MERCI mille fois / THANK YOU a thousand times!! :ty::ty::ty::ty::hug:

You can all put your slippers back on, stoke up the pipe, you have no need to migrate anywhere now (y)

ROBERTS.....unpack the bags and break out the port, we're staying put :)

ROBERTS.....unpack the bags and break out the port, we're staying put :)

That's lockdown in action.

(Should that last space be there?)

That's lockdown in action.

(Should that last space be there?)

One has to give Roberts a little more time nowadays, he's no spring chicken.

Well now, there's a turn up for the books.....
I bow in acquiescence to our new masters :)

<----

Sometimes it can be hard to make sense of the tail end of a thread!!!!!!!

Sometimes it can be hard to make sense of the tail end of a thread!!!!!!!
Well there are only 3 pages so far, go back and catch up
:D

Back