contrast and iMac

digitalfailure

Staff Bog Cleaner 2015
Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm getting seriously annoyed with images that have been edited on my iMac now :(

If I upload the images and view them on my windows laptop or my iPhone they look horrible in areas that have had PP work, especially cloning or painting. The artifacts are even visible if I transfer the images to the lappy via usb stick so, it's not a compression issue or colour space issue.

The only way I can recreate the look on the imac is to open the image in preview and turn down the contrast.

Anyone else had this issue with overly contrasty images?

if you only use the iMac, you might not see the faults.....but if you look on a non imac screen they may be visible and affecting your images or changing how they look when your friends etc look.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr STUPID apple!!!

Why don't they put the contrast control in the display section :annoyed:

For some reason the contrast adjustment slider is buried in system prefs/universal access.

On the minimum setting it's made a good difference, I can now see some of the defects that were previously hidden on the mac but glaring on other machines .

I'll recalibrate it with my eye-one in the morning to try and tweak it a bit further.

Don't forget that Macs went to a Gamma setting of 2.2 ( at last) with Snow Leopard. If you have SN installed this may be the answer.

You may also have a brightness issue, that the contrast is "fixing"

Calibrating the monitor as you say may be the best idea see what default value i-One reveals

I just ran through the basic apple calibration suite as I cba getting the eyeone set up tonight, 99% happy with the images now (y)

Chappers, yup, gamma 2,2 and SN, and brightness is only on 50% as above that it is retina burning !!

I had similar issues when I first had an iMac Brian. Dem monitors really need calibrating for photo work. Sounds like you've sorted it though :)

Quite annoying really that the screen can be so far out of kilter on a machine thats typically aimed at photographers and other image intensive roles.

edited a couple of images just now and viewed them on Glo's laptop and they are near identical.

I agree mate. As you know, I am in printing so the majority of our work stations are Macs. The quality of their monitors is phenomenal but, out of the box, they are soooo bright and contrasty it's almost funny :). To be fair though, once calibrated they're bleedin' superb ;)

I've just got an iMac 27" and I'd agree that out of the box it's a bit bright. Mine's now calibrated to 130Cd/m2 and the brightness slider is about 50%. I supose they have to have them that bright to compete with the light levels in Apple stores:)

Having said that my old monitor settings were about 75% brightness

How did you find the contrast out of the box?

I was quite surprised to see that the eye one software doesn't change the contrast :eek: ambient light levels, colour temp and colour balance yes......but contrast......hell noooo :nono:

Back