Controversial Topic: What irks you about other photographers?

Praise be the Morris 1100.:D

morris.jpg

And the Airbus A310! :woot:

76bMRk6.jpg

It might be fun to some people but I don't find anything even remotely fun about narrow minded hypocritical idiots. You might and that's fine, but I don't.

Then walk on and take a breath.....

if you don't you'll suffocate :LOL:

Guy's I refer you to the first line of the opening post
If you are easily offended. Don't bother posting. We don't need a slagging match.
Thats all
Thank you (y)

And the Airbus A310! :woot:

76bMRk6.jpg

The problem with images like this, is that the only people who admire them are aviation enthusiasts, and they're not really admiring the photography... they are admiring the plane. The photography is irrelevant. It's just a bog standard capture... the gear took it really... not the photographer. You could set the camera to shutter priority, and multi point AF and hand it to almost anyone and get similar shots once they've practised for a little while. It's not really photography.

The problem with images like this, is that the only people who admire them are aviation enthusiasts, and they're not really admiring the photography... they are admiring the plane. The photography is irrelevant. It's just a bog standard capture... the gear took it really... not the photographer. You could set the camera to shutter priority, and multi point AF and hand it to almost anyone and get similar shots.

You're telling me things I already know, David. If you think I posted that to be 'artistic' then you've spectacularly missed the point.

You're telling me things I already know, David. If you think I posted that to be 'artistic' then you've spectacularly missed the point.

Not having a pop at you you numpty!! .. chill :). You've got nice stuff on your Flickr feed... I was decrying the type of image... not you :) I am aware of the irony in your post. If I thought you were proud of it.. I'd just not say anything... it's not a crit thread.

Last edited:
Not having a pop at you you numpty!! .. chill :). You've got nice stuff on your Flickr feed... I was decrying the type of image... not you :) I am aware of the irony in your post.

Fair enough! :)

The thing is I like planes and I have thousands of images like that. They're not what I'm 'about' as a photographer and in fact I haven't done any aviation stuff for over a year, but nonetheless, why should anyone else care whether I take photos like that? Just because someone uses a camera doesn't mean their motivations are exclusively photographic and I can't understand why anyone would bitch so openly about it (I don't mean you here by the way David, I mean the original post I responded to). What difference does it make to them what I take photos of?

Also, thanks. :)

My husband rating his f@rts... oh wait, wrong thread.

Rating farts is a very serious business. I'm not entirely sure of the ethics of rating your own farts though.

Ideally, a panel of judges, having established the rating criteria, should award points according to said agreed criteria.

Sobriety and taste amongst judges and contestants, who are interchangeable as circumstances and gas pressures dictate, should be regarded as entirely undesirable.

Photographs of contestants setting light to farts merit extra points.

Fair enough! :)

The thing is I like planes and I have thousands of images like that. They're not what I'm 'about' as a photographer and in fact I haven't done any aviation stuff for over a year, but nonetheless, why should anyone else care whether I take photos like that? Just because someone uses a camera doesn't mean their motivations are exclusively photographic and I can't understand why anyone would bitch so openly about it (I don't mean you here by the way David, I mean the original post I responded to). What difference does it make to them what I take photos of?

Also, thanks. :)

I take loads of pictures of my cat... it's OK. :)

Nothing wrong with taking shots of planes if you like planes. I can imagine a plane enthusiasts getting hours f pleasure, looking at teh detail you just can't see when they take off and land. I get it... I honestly do. I just don't get why you'd post them up and show them, unless it's to other plane enthusiasts.

I take loads of pictures of my cat... it's OK. :)

Nothing wrong with taking shots of planes if you like planes. I can imagine a plane enthusiasts getting hours f pleasure, looking at teh detail you just can't see when they take off and land. I get it... I honestly do. I just don't get why you'd post them up and show them, unless it's to other plane enthusiasts.

Yeah that's pretty much bang on, it's only really fellow geeky plane people who'd be interested because it's more about the plane than it is about photography. That's why my aviation stuff (apart from few small bits) doesn't end up on my Flickr feed - it's only of interest to a small number of people. I mean, not that my general photography is of much interest but it's certainly easier to appreciate general photography than side on shots of Boeing 737's.

That said there are some wonderfully creative aviation photographers out there, not as many as there are doing general aviation stuff but they are out there. :)

Last edited:
Rating farts is a very serious business. I'm not entirely sure of the ethics of rating your own farts though.

Ideally, a panel of judges, having established the rating criteria, should award points according to said agreed criteria.

Sobriety and taste amongst judges and contestants, who are interchangeable as circumstances and gas pressures dictate, should be regarded as entirely undesirable.

Photographs of contestants setting light to farts merit extra points.
Omg... Kill me now.

I've just farted. It was involuntary & it's a stinker. Now I have the luxury of an empty room.

Paul it's a relief to see that you have a sense of humour (even if it may not apply to me).

Last edited:
What irks me is not just limited to photography/togs/togging, its this habit to assume the worst possible interpretation or intent from people's posts online. There seems to be so much aggression about these days, why not relax and assume best intentions first :) After all, on forums, social media, text message we miss the majority of peoples communication abilities like intonation, the smile on someones face, and also can't tell about their cultural background or heritage.....

Further more anti gear snobs, the ones that make all sorts of assumptions based on the toys someone else have got. Sure they may get excited about it when they have a new toy or wave them like a dog with two cocks, but come on where has your excitement gone....its not arrogance or whatever, it is excitement and joy....

Besides a lot of the time these anti gear snobs have s***ty old gear anyway and are just jealous :angelic::exit:

Generally those that I've met out and about are lovely people, and lets face it, everybody loves a photograph...Even a selfie pucker :p

Last edited:
Photographers that are technically advanced and are love to remind you of how much you are not. But then you look at their work and giggle because it sucks! They talk the talk but don't walk the walk....

Sent from my iPhone using Talk Photography Forums

Sounds like my camera club!

its this habit to assume the worst possible interpretation or intent from people's posts online. There seems to be so much aggression about these days, why not relax and assume best intentions first :) After all, on forums, social media, text message we miss the majority of peoples communication abilities like intonation, the smile on someones face, and also can't tell about their cultural background or heritage.....

If you're referring to me here then my reaction was based on comments Droj has made in three recent threads now, not just this one, and all those comments have been quite scathingly criticising other people's perfectly innocent traits which I strongly object to. Assuming people have the best intentions is fine but sometimes the evidence suggests that may not actually be the case.

I stand by my words 100%.

Last edited:
If you're referring to me here then my reaction was based on comments Droj has made in three recent threads now, not just this one, and all those comments have been quite scathingly criticising other people's perfectly innocent traits which I strongly object to. Assuming people have the best intentions is fine but sometimes the evidence suggests that may not actually be the case.

I stand by my words 100%.
LOL Thank you, a perfect example regarding my irk...

I didn't quote you, I didn't refer to you, I wasn't make any comment to anyone in particular, I was literally as I wrote stating my irk....No games, no hidden meaning, not imaginary following around threads conspiracy , just nothing more or less than what I wrote....Which was about my irk, so if anything it would be directed to me wouldn't it?

My grandmother always used to say, when people use a but in the sentence, just ignore the first part...
Assuming people have the best intentions is fine but sometimes the evidence suggests that may not actually be the case.

I can guarantee you, it is not about you ;)

I'm not quite sure how that was a perfect example, considering immediately previous comments it was a fairly logical assumption but my apologies if I was wrong.
No apologies necessary. I don't agree it was a fairly logical assumption, since I didn't quote, I didn't refer or nothing. In your logic what should I do? Not post my irk and wait until I'm further away from your post? As I said your post didn't even come into my mind, it was and is totally irrelevant to my irk. My irk is mine, not yours :p Hence a very good example, let's all be nice and don't make up negative connections where there aren't any....Plenty more nice people about than nasty ones....

Things that irk me.

People whom keep on telling me that I should be a professional photographer (it's normally the same people to be honest) and that I should quit my normal job. I'm a hobbyist and mediocre at that. I try and I often fail, sometimes I produce a nice picture that I am happy with. I'm certainly not of a calibre to quit my day job and go anywhere near pro.

People whom think that because I have a DSLR camera that I can "do their wedding" or "do their friends wedding". Of course these all mean at a rate of £0/hr. Admittedly I wouldn't even dare charging for a wedding.... because I'd never do it.

People that say really really bad images are great (bad images that really have kinda gone wrong and not just a personal opinion of someone else). That's no help to anyone.

People with 5D or 1D range cameras smirking at me and my 7D

Members of the public whom thing it's funny to walk in front of my camera and wave shouting "ner ner I ruined your photo"... when I'm already 2 minutes into a long exposure with a ten stop on.... actually, it doesn't irk me, it amuses me because I get the last laugh but they still go away feeling happy. Everyone is then happy. I've had this happen on two occasions. Despite the fact they didn't alter the image, I never actually kept the images anyway as I was unhappy with the results.

Genre snobs. Not all photographers or photography enthusiasts want to photograph every genre, many are comfortable sticking with one genre lots more than others with the odd dip into other styles and genres from time to time.

Many other irks have already been covered here by others :)

None of the above offend me though... it's human nature to annoy people and be annoyed by people.

the gear took it really... not the photographer.

I'm trying to think of a signature that would say otherwise.......

......Oh wait.....:thinking:

I'm trying to think of a signature that would say otherwise.......

......Oh wait.....:thinking:

...and the image is boring as a result... because the camera simply captured what it was pointing at with no creative input from the person holding the camera: A plane. It's just a plane. Zzzzzz.....

I've just thought of a couple more irritations:

1) Photographers who post up images and go "Enjoy!" I don't like being told to enjoy something, it's patronising.

2) I cringe when I read the About Me page on a photographer's website and I'm subjected to a list of their favourite trendy coffees, foods, holiday destinations, the names of their children, and how they love the crackle of pine cones on an open fire. As a client I would want to know a little about their background along with facts or anecdotes which support their abilities as an effective and trustworthy provider. Seeing something of a photographer's character can be a good thing, but at the same time we can all promote ourselves without flowery self-indulgence.

Back