Controversial Topic: What irks you about other photographers?

Being asked "how many megapixels is your camera" :mad: like it really makes a difference
I lose interest at that point :(
and people who assume that just because you have a big lens it must mean you get in really close to the subject
and them not really listening when try and explain that it doesn't

Here are my top 3:

1. When they're called Ken Rockwell
2. When they insist on using every single one of their available FPS when there stood next to me for no real reason... The tree and river aren't going to run away guys!
3. Why do some photographers dress like they're off to climb Kilimanjaro even when they are just in Sheffield centre?

Andy

5) Subject enthusiasts that think they are photographers - So these are people who are passionate about a certain subject and because they take photos of these subjects they believe they are photographers.

This is common amongst motorsports, train and plane spotters, bird watchers and bug enthusiasts.

They get so excited about seeing the subject of their interest that all concern for technique and creativity goes out the window. Every photo is the same photo with minor differences. EG Bird on branch, another bird on branch, car driving with other cars driving, train at platform, another train at platform. Their photos are generally boring and only other subject enthusiasts would find it interesting.

Straight up, this attitude massively annoys me. Like, monumentally. People sitting on some kind of self-built pedestal judging others like this is pretty much the only thing that seriously annoys me in photography.

I'm not overly keen on people who blame everything except themselves for sub-standard images either, but that's really a mentality I've carried over from music after seeing far too many people screw up and them blame perfectly good gear for not being right. Just learn how to use it!

Last edited:
For me its other photographers who don't look out for others taking photos esp at events and stand in your way on purpose so they can get there shot.
Photographers who don't realise its how the photographer wants the final image to look like and is quick to destroy their work.
Wedding photographers who charge to do photos, yet when you see their portfolio the images are not that good yet they call themselves pro.

That's a few for now hehe

Photographer getting massively annoyed with other photographers getting massively annoyed about things :)

6) Photographers Vest - Why? What is it that you are doing that means you need to have physical contact with everything you own? What is it about a £150 vest that makes your photos better that a £60 jacket from TK Maxx with pockets couldn't?

You trying to annoy me? :arghh:

:D

Actually it ticks me off as well. Must remember only to take blurred creative pics of birds from now on. Hang on I've got loads already.

Reactions: PMN
- those who aren't willing to share their techniques and learning - we're not asking for trade secrets just insight into improving our own work

- when you ask a question, those who come back with either a limited answer or a sarcastic remark that doesn't help,the OP

- Forum Ego. Those who turn every read into "I know best, look at me"

- those who aren't willing to share their techniques and learning - we're not asking for trade secrets just insight into improving our own work

- when you ask a question, those who come back with either a limited answer or a sarcastic remark that doesn't help,the OP

- Forum Ego. Those who turn every read into "I know best, look at me"

All good points.

7) Those who aren't capable to listening to criticism or self-critiquing and those who believe their opinion is gospel.

People who can't be bothered learning for themselves and just want to pick other people's brains.

I put myself in this bracket, so really im not just having a pop at other photographers, but I do find the majority of photographers I meet to be pretty introvert (some to greater degrees than others),
You need to come to one of my nutters meets, everyone talks to everyone else.
And we mostly talk a load of Bovine by-products anyway.
We do take the odd image, once we get out of the cafe though :)

Not sure it irks me, but I do love to watch the wannabe togs with an iPad. I'm sure many a decent snap has been taken with one but I will still laugh at you if you do this in public.
Ah yes these amuse me too,
do you remeber when (so called) Mobile phones were hooge?
The next stage was to make them smaller and smaller and smaller.

And yet these are waved about like some status symbol (perhaps they are?)
Trying to get "the money shot"
The last "guy" I saw was standing 5 feet back from the glass at my local zoo,
all they can get is a reflection of themselves.......
Did Oedipus have one of these too? :D

Not so much on here to be fair, but on other forums I could name (but won't!!!) I really hate the "you've got a big one but I've got a bigger one" brigade...!!!!! Who post forum avatars of themselves hugging huge zoom lenses ... Some covered with one of those fake camouflage type covers .... And then post threads telling to less fortunate that they've just purchased the latest, bigger, better, longer whizz bang 600mm zoom (catalogue price £10-12k) because they are just not getting results they need from their old 500mm ... But that's not the real world of course! ...

In the place called Real Life I rarely meet anyone toting a camera who irks me at all. Don't know if it's because I'm a middle aged lady who lives in a rural community, and has a genuine interest and a bit of knowledge about photography generally. But, by and large, folks I meet toting cameras as I walk about with my dog/camera or both are friendly, helpful, chatty, willing to share their pics and even let me "have a go" with some pretty top end gear. I'm only sorry I can't run any faster .... I'd have got away with some pretty good stuff by now .....

1) If you are easily offended. Don't bother posting. We don't need a slagging match.
2) If you are going to rip on beginners. Don't bother posting. Everyone starts somewhere.
3) If you are going to pretend to be a zen master and talk about how you accept everyone with open arms and how you are the bigger person then this thread isn't for you.
4) Got a long list of things that irk you? Save it. Nobody likes to read an essay on a screen so break it up over several posts (obviously let someone else post first) it just helps readability.

So I have decided to create this thread after reading this one which was based on what people want from a camera club. What actually transpired was what people don't want from a camera club.

It got me thinking about other photographers I have met and the ones I know. As a group of people with a common interests photographers can be a really annoying group of people so I am asking everyone here what it is that annoys you about other photographers.

For me:

1) The Nikon vs Canon debate - I don't understand it, anyone that takes this view point seems to think the other is like taking a photo with a potato. Then it goes to the almighty debate over numbers at which point I feel myself slowly slipping into coma. I don't get it. Both are camera, both are capable of taking photos and both in the right hands will produce amazing results. Everyone has their reasons for choosing their camera just like everything else they have purchased but the Nikon vs Canon clowns seem to think it is acceptable to be disrespectful about another persons prized possession.

Both Canon and Nikon users are guilty of this crime.

Haven't we been through all this before? Your photography pet hates.

Nice portraits ruined by freakish, over-processed, psychedelic alien-eyes with colours and iris patterns that don't usually exist outside of the mind of someone on a peyote bender.

Then someone goes "beautiful eyes" or "those eyes really pop" and you're thinking "really? It looks like something out of Dr bloody Who".

All that said, we've all been guilty of learning a new technique and going overboard with it, so I'm not as irked by the photographers so much as the folk lavishing praise on them.

People who use the word "Tog". Tog is a measurement of thermal insulation/resistance. It is not an acceptable abbreviation for the word "Photographer".

The word is Photographer. Not "Tog" or "Togger". You sound like an amateur... and an idiot. Please stop doing it.

People who use the word "Tog". Tog is a measurement of thermal insulation/resistance. It is not an acceptable abbreviation for the word "Photographer".

The word is Photographer. Not "Tog" or "Togger". You sound like an amateur... and an idiot. Please stop doing it.

Unless used in a newsroom, where it originated apparently.

...plus... going "togging" makes it sound like you are participating in certain nocturnal activities that consenting adults of a certain sexual proclivity do in dark, secluded wooded areas.

Nothing really I must be too easy going:D

...plus... going "togging" makes it sound like you are participating in certain nocturnal activities that consenting adults of a certain sexual proclivity do in dark, secluded wooded areas.
You sound knowledgable on that subject David................:D

I saw the documentary on Channel 4. Don't pretend you didn't either :)

When you see people and their cameras/big lenses all dressed up in army gear when they're either not in the army or needing a camouflage.

Photo enthusiasts/photographers at events who you see walking over to you when they clock you have a 'big camera' and start talking to you about camera models/iso performance when they can see your in the middle of shooting and kind of busy!

Also, "glass" instead of lens.

People who get so irked about other people and about what others think and do.

Do what you want, b****x to the rest of it.

Another for me is ignorant photographers when you see another photographer on location and say hello and they ignore you and look at you to say this is my shot location.
Next time you see one of these people, tell them in the animal world they fight for territory, then put your dukes up and see what happens :LOL:

Back