Converting DVD ROM to normal DVD

TG.

Name
Tel
Edit My Images
No
Is it possible to convert a DVD ROM so it will play in a normal DVD player, if so what software would i need and is there any available free software to do this task, many thanks in advance :)

Unless I am mistaken, a DVD ROM is a DVD. They are one and the same.

What problems are you experiencing?

Harvey nikon is right, they are the same thing, however I think the issue you are having, is that your not finalising the disk properly/correctly once you've burnt data to it. On whatever software you use for creating your disks should have an option to do this.

you cant just bung a video file onto a DVD and it will play in a commercial video DVD player.

you need to use some DVD authoring software like nero or windows dvd creator. you need to do this from the word go, you cant convert. unless its just that you have not finalised the disk..

I'm not clear too on what you mean about converting dvd rom to dvd as they can be seen to be the same.
However on the other hand, have a google search/read for "DVD Book Type". Some DVD writers and/or software will allow you to change the "booktype" of your finalised disc so that a dvd+r or dvd+rw disc appears as a dvd-rom to any commercial player, allowing it to play it without a problem. This doesn't circumvent copyright, it just makes a disc more widely compatible, as some older players didn't like + or - discs.

Unless I am mistaken, a DVD ROM is a DVD. They are one and the same.

What problems are you experiencing?

I think the issue you are having, is that your not finalising the disk properly/correctly once you've burnt data to it have

Sorry i should have been more specific, this is a DVD i purchased with a book, for reference it's this one HERE by Scott Kelby, when i bought it i was under the impression it would play on a DVD player, however i have tried it on both of mine and it doesn't, so i thought about trying to copy it to a format a DVD player would recognize, hence the question, and before anyone say's it's mentioned in the reviews that it would only play on a PC, i only quickly looked as i was looking more at the book :bonk: :)

Oh, well in that case, you can't "convert" the disk, as it's a read only device. Only way you could do it, is if you ripped the data off the disk, and burnt a new disk that could play on your DVD player, although I hesitate to recommend this, as I'm not sure if it classes as a form of piracy/copyright infringement or not.

Is it possible to just connect your PC upto the TV, so you could still watch it on the TV, but using the PC DVD player?

Only way you could do it, is if you ripped the data off the disk, and burnt a new disk that could play on your DVD player, although I hesitate to recommend this, as I'm not sure if it classes as a form of piracy/copyright infringement or not.

I doubt if it would infringe any copyright laws as i have paid for the original, and if i ripped it as you describe it would be for my own personal use only :)

So how would i do this and what software would i need ?

I doubt if it would infringe any copyright laws as i have paid for the original, and if i ripped it as you describe it would be for my own personal use only :)

You'd be surprised, I think it's still technically illegal to rip any CDs you buy to MP3 to stick on your iPod!!

Sounds like the disk you've got is an interactive type thing that needs the computer to run some software to access it's contents, rather than a standard film DVD.
If that's the case, I doubt there's much you can do I'm afraid.

Back