Converting to Laptop from Desktop

Name
Mac
Edit My Images
No
Hi, having decided im now ready to buy a laptop to use for all my photographs and processing work theres one small worry that i have. i noticed today when viewing my images on someone elses laptop that they looked quite a bit different to the view on my own desktop! they looked lovely and glossy and sharp but some of the images looked really bright (almost over exposed!!). i dont get this view using my work laptop (which is old and is pretty basic)! im no expert on computers but would anyone have some reassuring help on this. perhaps is a laptop not ideal for processing work? i dont want to spend £500 on the dell studio that ive fallen head over heels with then regret it! thanks....i hope you can help.

I suspect the reason the images looked different is that neither machine has been calibrated using a device such as the Huey or Spyder. Laptop screens are far from ideal for editing work, they tend to have a very limited viewing angle and poor colour reproduction. Whilst calibration will help to some degree it's not an editing solution I'd advise if you want prints to match the screen :(

I suspect the reason the images looked different is that neither machine has been calibrated using a device such as the Huey or Spyder. Laptop screens are far from ideal for editing work, they tend to have a very limited viewing angle and poor colour reproduction. Whilst calibration will help to some degree it's not an editing solution I'd advise if you want prints to match the screen :(

thanks - im very glad i asked the question! :-(

I've never understood why anyone would want to edit on a laptop, they're so variable and the screens are crap in comparison to what you can get for a desktop

(Mac users may disagree if they see fit! - personally I use an apple cinema 23 display on my pc)

If you're just looking at a laptop for space saving, and not actually wanting to do much editing while out and about you could always consider connecting a monitor to the display output while editing. Just a suggestion :)

If you're just looking at a laptop for space saving, and not actually wanting to do much editing while out and about you could always consider connecting a monitor to the display output while editing. Just a suggestion :)

Was just going to suggest this, you can then use both screens at the same time if you are so inclined, with Photoshop on the monitor and your files and folders etc on the laptop screen. You can also easily get a wireless mouse to go with it and you have most of the benefits of a desktop in a much smaller laptop.:)

And I agree, all laptop screens aren't very good for photo editing (including macs as keirik mentioned).

you should still calibrate your screen on a desktop.

you could probably process pics on the crappiest screen in the world as long as its calibrated properly youll still have the same colours.

dont see what all the fuss is about with not editing on a laptop really. its possible to do it and well in my opinion.

Was just going to suggest this, you can then use both screens at the same time if you are so inclined, with Photoshop on the monitor and your files and folders etc on the laptop screen. You can also easily get a wireless mouse to go with it and you have most of the benefits of a desktop in a much smaller laptop.:)

And I agree, all laptop screens aren't very good for photo editing (including macs as keirik mentioned).

thanks, my husband suggested this last night. think il still go for the laptop as i need to be mobile.

you should still calibrate your screen on a desktop.

you could probably process pics on the crappiest screen in the world as long as its calibrated properly youll still have the same colours.

dont see what all the fuss is about with not editing on a laptop really. its possible to do it and well in my opinion.

Laptop screens just don't have the tonal bandwidth, have a fixed colour temp of around 9300k and no amount of calibration will sort that out. Of course it also depends on what you're editing and how accurate you need to be.

it all a case of personal preference i have 2 laptops and one has an awesome screen but as a laptop it isnt very good as it weighs around 5kg (lots of top bits add weight) but the other is very light and the screen on it is quite poor.

If going for space saving you are going to end up with a hefty laptop anyway if you want a decent display or take a hit on the qaulity of the screen, if space is the issue you could look at basing a new desktop system around the shuttle platform.

How's this for an idea...

Get the laptop, and keep hold of the current monitor. When you need to do precise work on a particular image/ set, then simply plug in monitor to use that! For the rest of the time you'll have the portability that you want.... (t'is what I do) :)

I wouldn't say all laptop screens are not ideal for editing. My 17" hi-res matte Macbook pro screen seems ok to me :shrug:

I wouldn't say all laptop screens are not ideal for editing. My 17" hi-res matte Macbook pro screen seems ok to me :shrug:

True, some high spec laptops even come with a built-in calibration device but as the OP already mentioned a dell studio it's a bit pointless....

Back