Copy Me Lighting Thread #19 - Feeding The Eyes

Name
Michael A. Sewell
Edit My Images
No
_EM10544 copy.jpg

Food photography depends very much on good light, and yet the textures and shapes can respond extremely well to quite a simple lighting setup.

Whether I'm shooting on location in a restaurant, or in a studio for Getty Images, my lighting setup tends to be similar.
I'm particularly careful to ensure the food glistens to add allure. I don't mean “glisten”, as in added oil. I mean the specular highlights caused by the light. As light travels in straight lines, then placing the light on the far side of the food, in line with the camera, will potentiate the reflective properties of anything glossy. Glossy can be fluid, oils or just the wet nature of the food itself. It can be seen above, along the ketchup and mustard, the side of the bratwurst, and also along the edges of the onion rings.

If you bear in mind the angle of incidence, you can pretty much place the light, and know where the highlights will appear. That said, as the light is basically being directed towards the camera lens, a grid is essential to negate flare, and therefore reduce the possibility of loss of contrast.

I tend to use the Lencarta Atom 360 or 180 for food photography, as the lights tend to be quite close, to the point that sometimes, the 360s are operating at minimum output. Atom 180s are probably the better choice, allowing a little more manoeuvrability in the power output.

In the above image, the rim light was placed frame right, beyond the table. I usually have the rimlight head slightly above the camera height, so as to ensure the light source doesn't appear in the frame. I fire it through a dedicated beauty dish with a grid fitted. This provides a larger pool of light than a gridded standard reflector but maintains quite tight control over the light. For the above image, I used an Atom 360, firing through the mentioned Beauty Dish and grid at a power output of 1/128th

The main, or key light, is another Atom 360 (or AD180), usually firing through a 80x80 folding softbox. Normally, this is placed as close to the table as possible, almost directly overhead. Here, I wanted it slightly further back. In fact, it was pretty much in line with me. Again, the output was set to 1/128th power output.

To be honest, this setup varies little, other than the position of the lights, which depends on the food being photographed, as I'm looking to get the best from the specular highlights.
Olympus E-M1 1/125th sec ISO400 12-40mm @40mm f8

_EM10528 copy.jpg

This is a pull back, showing the setup. Olympus E-M1 1/125th sec ISO400 12-40mm @40mm f8

Photographing food for a restaurant or bistro, tends to be quite different to photographing food for Gettys. With a restaurant, your aim is to include the ambience of the restaurant, which can be attained by including out of focus lit areas of the bar, or branded condiments and cutlery etc. Often the plates are particular to that restaurant. We are aiming to create a familiarity within the image for past customers, hoping to stir them to return, as well as new customers, whom we are hoping to tempt into a welcoming environment.
When shooting for a stock library or recipe book, there isn't the familiarity aspect to draw on. No brand, house crockery or cutlery etc. We have to build the whole set from scratch, sometimes to a brief, sometimes not.
In this case, it starts with a table, then the food support. As it's a hotdog, a brown paper “wrapper” seemed best suited. We also sort the supporting cast of props that are suited to the scene.
The hotdog was part of a series of images along a street food theme, such as burgers and steak sandwiches etc.

_EM10566 copy.jpg

The above is again the same two light setup, but with the accent light switched to left of frame.
Olympus E-M1 1/125th sec ISO400 12-40mm @40mm f8

_EM11977 copy.jpg

If there is the potential for steam from the dish, I have a third Atom 360 (or 180) set to fire across the dish at 90 degrees to the camera, and at the same height as the dish. Again, I make use of a dedicated Beauty Dish and grid, and once again, it tends to be at the lowest possible power output, due to the small distances from the light source to the food.
Here, I needed a longer exposure and an increased sensitivity to ensure the candle registered.

E-M1 1/30th sec ISO800 12-40mm @29mm f5.6

All above images are Olympus E-M1 captured, the two below are a few months earlier, and Nikon captured.

AdamDalton-035 copy.jpg

ok, it's not a real table, It's a painted interior door we found.
Same two light setup, although the lights were positioned a little further away than usual, due to the required broader scene.

This was shot a week or so before the E-M1 arrived.
I've found the Olympus to be particularly suited for food photography for a number of reasons, not least the depth of field and close focus ability of the 12-40mm f2.8. The stabilisation means no tripod is required, even when shooting at 1/30th sec and slower, allowing the capture of candle light etc.

Due to the limit of 5 images per message, the final image is in the next post.

810_0431a copy.jpg

This is a pull back of the same scene as above. And before anyone makes a crack about the shape of my head, Wayne was on a D810 with a wide angle lens. Honest!

Food photography is one of those disciplines that can very easily be done on a budget. Due to the closeness of the light sources, a couple of speedlights will suffice, and you are very unlikely to be above ¼ output. A shoot through brolley could be used for the main light, but you will need some sort of grid to control the accent light.

I'm particularly careful to ensure the food glistens to add allure. I don't mean “glisten”, as in added oil. I mean the specular highlights caused by the light. As light travels in straight lines, then placing the light on the far side of the food, in line with the camera, will potentiate the reflective properties of anything glossy. Glossy can be fluid, oils or just the wet nature of the food itself.

If you bear in mind the angle of incidence, you can pretty much place the light, and know where the highlights will appear. That said, as the light is basically being directed towards the camera lens, a grid is essential to negate flare, and therefore reduce the possibility of loss of contrast.

This is such helpful information, thanks.

Aside from the lighting, do you have any comments on

- how the restaurants best prepare food for a shoot - are there any common problems that effect your shoot?

- Do you do all the food stlying on site or do they supply someone?

- What time of day the shoot usually takes place if its on site? Mostly wondering how they fit all the photo and lighting gear around customers or if they shoot when they are closed.

- And of course I have to ask, when shooting for Getty, do you cook it yourself?

No worries if you dont have time to answer all this lot of questions. I have never shot food myself, though have had people who have eaten my cooking begging to be shot.... :)

Also, thats a collection of very nice images you have posted.

Last edited:
This is such helpful information, thanks.

Aside from the lighting, do you have any comments on

- how the restaurants best prepare food for a shoot - are there any common problems that effect your shoot?

One of the main problems is when the restaurant owner insists on the shoot occurring at their busiest time, which only adds pressure to the chef. And believe me, that isn't good!
Another problem is when the owner or chef rushes the food so as to get as many shots as possible in a given amount of time. I can understand why this happens, as they are quoted an hourly rate. Unfortunately, it's counter productive as dishes can go cold very quickly when they bring three or four to the table at the same time. This is a huge problem with the likes of Indian dishes, which tire very, very quickly, and the seeping oil is visible to all. These dishes are not worth photographing, so they have to be prepared again, and just waste time and effort for all involved.

I always ask for a cold dish as the first to be photographed, and if they don't intend to photograph a cold dish, then a plate of salad leaves and bits etc is a good starting point. This first dish allows me to fine tune the lighting to the ambience of the restaurant, and will save time later. If I am mistakenly given a hot meal to photograph in the first instance, it will usually have lost its steam by the time I'm happy with he lighting setup, and will need reheating before being shot.

- Do you do all the food styling on site or do they supply someone?

If I'm shooting for a restaurant, bistro or a food establishment of some sort, I usually leave the styling to the chef. With regards to restaurants etc, I'm portraying the creative skills of the chef to potential customers, so it's important that the meal a customer orders is identifiable as the same meal I photographed, and the same image which invited them to visit the restaurant. Likewise, it is hoped those same images will tempt lapsed customers to return, with the images hopefully prompting memories of good meals they have previously enjoyed.
It's about familiarity. I'm trying to instill a feeling of familiarity in potential customers who visit for the first time, not only in the styling of the food, but also with some of the captured ambience of the venue in the background, even if there is little to be seen. It's surprising how many past customers can recognise a restaurant simply from the out of focus lighting in the background of a food image.

If I'm shooting for Getty, then we have a food stylist (although I'm currently looking to talk to more stylists).
When shooting for Getty, or a recipe book, or in fact any client that isn't a food venue, then we have to start from scratch. Unlike a restaurant or Bistro, there is no established branded crockery with a logo, or a particular type of cutlery or condiments etc. Here, we start from scratch, so the stylist looks at the intended market, and how the client wants to engage that market, and how they client wants to be perceived within that market.

- What time of day the shoot usually takes place if it's on site? Mostly wondering how they fit all the photo and lighting gear around customers or if they shoot when they are closed.

Usually in an afternoon, as most food establishments are busy in an evening. I've sometimes had to shoot in an evening whilst there are customers about, but to be honest, the customers often find it fascinating, and I occasionally end up with a small audience.
Just very occasionally, I end up teaching an enthusiast who is interested enough to risk an argument from their partner later in the evening.

- And of course I have to ask, when shooting for Getty, do you cook it yourself?

Our food stylist is a Michelin starred chef, so he cooks. (See comment above!)

Last edited:

I like this thread Michael… just discovered it!

Some shots are fully justifying the purchase
of a PC lens like the 85 I have.

I like this thread Michael… just discovered it!

Some shots are fully justifying the purchase
of a PC lens like the 85 I have.

Most are shot using the Olympus 12-40mm f2.8
Prior to purchasing the Olympus system for the food photography, I used a D4 (D3 before that) and the 24-70mm f2.8

I suppose Olympus produces
a low compression PC lens…
don't they?

Actually, to date, Olympus do not produce a PC or Tilt Shift lens for the Micro four thirds system. I haven't had need of one so far, and I particularly like the depth of field afforded by the M43 system, along with this particular lens' close focus ability.

Micro four thirds system.

I know nothing of these tools format…
most probably I miss something.
I wouldn't do without the PC in the
current FF format I use.

Keep up the good work!

Thank you for this thread, the only food shoot I did was for a Japanese restaurant, and didn't have a clue what I was doing, anything that halfway worked was purely by accident. I'm glad I found your thread, you provide a lot of very detailed information. I will be following with keen interest.

My attempt.
I saw these in the supermarket, noticed the specular highlights and remembered this thread.
Pecan Pie by Mark Elsworth, on Flickr

I used an ad360 with the 40cm godox octobox as the key light camera right and a gridded ad360 as the accent light from the back.
I may have used the wrong thing with the white paper plate as it looks to have reflected a little of the light on the front left edge or maybe its where the lighter coloured pastry meets the plate.

Anyway it was a good way to spend half an hour on a wet bank holiday weekend.

Mark, for a shop bought pastry and a paper plate, that's really well done.
The plate is acting as a white reflector, bouncing some of the light back into the lower pastry edge. The darker shadow area at the far right corner of the pastry could have been lightened with using an A4 sheet of paper or a takeaway carton lid as a small reflector, but other than that, it really rather good.

:clap:

Mark, for a shop bought pastry and a paper plate, that's really well done.
The plate is acting as a white reflector, bouncing some of the light back into the lower pastry edge. The darker shadow area at the far right corner of the pastry could have been lightened with using an A4 sheet of paper or a takeaway carton lid as a small reflector, but other than that, it really rather good.

:clap:
Thanks.

Back