Copy Me Lighting Tutorial #12 - The Bridal Rain Portrait

Name
Michael A. Sewell
Edit My Images
No
Basically posted to refresh the "Follow me lighting technique" thread, as I believe it's a valuable resource :)
_EM12999-re copy.jpg

This image was taken at a wedding on the 14th November 2015, and the weather was particularly foul.

My main aim was to ensure I lit as much rain as possible, and also provide an interesting composition for the two girls.
Behind the girls at a height of around four feet, there's a Lencarta Atom 360Ws. This was married to the dedicated beauty dish but without the grid fitted. Bearing in mind I wanted maximum spill for a couple of reasons. Firstly to illuminate the rain, and also to provide a rim light to the girls and the ground either side.
If I had gridded the beauty dish, the light would have been reduced in output, it wouldn't have spread enough for the full rim light on the girls, and nor would it have lit the rain to the same extent.
The output was set to ¼.

The key/fill light was provided by a Lencarta Safari II, mated to a 150cm folding octa with a honeycomb fitted. It was at a height of five feet and positioned camera left and a little further forward of my position. I was shooting from a crouched position to ensure I managed to get the reflection in the wet floor. The key light was also set to a ¼ output.

Olympus E-M1 1/10th sec ISO400 40-150mm f2.8 @f3.5 & 40mm

The slow shutter speed was to try and gain sufficient ambient light (a bit of a joke, TBH!), whilst trying to keep noise to a minimum with an ISO of 400

Budget version:

Substitute both lights for good speedlights. The rear light should be fitted with a stofen or equivalent and firing at ½ power. You may find you don't quite get the distance for the rain, although I had more than enough for my frame.

The key light will need to be at full power, and should be fired into a silver lined reflective umbrella. The lack of diffusion panel will ensure minimal light loss, but the size of the umbrella will reduce the light's harshness. It's a compromise.
You may be able to move the key light closer to your subjects, although you may need to raise it higher to avoid frame fouling.

Things to bear in mind:

Use clear plastic bags for the light sources (An SB800 detonating in the rain will remove eyebrows far better than wax. Ask me about it sometime!)

Use something to weigh down or tether your lightstands. Umbrellas and softboxes make great parachutes, and will destroy your lighting gear in the slightest breeze.

Wear your waterproofs! Expensive suits look like any other collection of rags when you're soaked to the skin. (yep, you can ask me about that too!)

Ensure your client has suitable weatherproof jackets. They can be taken off for the actual shot, but generally help to reduce the likelihood of a manslaughter charge.

Last edited:
Lovely image, the clients must be so pleased with it.

Thanks lots for the detailed info, particularly the various weather proofing aspects to help with planning ahead. Its generous of you to give so much constructive detail.

Not sure I will ever take such a photo but sure did enjoy reading how to do it.

Gaz

ps: I also like your comment re teaching :)

Not sure I will ever take such a photo ...

Gaz, I am absolutely certain you could take such an image.

Start with using off camera speedlights. With practice, you get a feel for what you should expect for a given output at a given distance with a specific modifier.
Once you are at this point, you can start to work faster, and you will then find yourself working through situations and finding solutions to challenges, even before you set your first light.

Believe me, there's nothing magical about lighting. It's all down to practice and experience.
Oh, and the angle of incidence :)

Gaz, I am absolutely certain you could take such an image.
Thanks Micheal. Your very inspirational and obviously a good teacher you seem to talk in laymens speak.

Gaz

How long does one typically spend arranging and setting up a shot like this? All the weddings I've seen done, there's precious little time in the bride's schedule for dedicated setups such as these. Perhaps it's a case of the wrong clients, etc, but I wondered how much time is typically dedicated to scarpering off with the newlyweds whilst everyone else finds the bar...

How long does one typically spend arranging and setting up a shot like this? All the weddings I've seen done, there's precious little time in the bride's schedule for dedicated setups such as these. Perhaps it's a case of the wrong clients, etc, but I wondered how much time is typically dedicated to scarpering off with the newlyweds whilst everyone else finds the bar...

The portrait session is done between the wedding breakfast and the evening reception, as the marrying couple tend to be at a loss as to what to do. Plus, they are grateful of a break from the pawing hands of the relatives.
I think you are referring to the usual group shots, which is when a lot of guests seem to be tied to the bar, or want to check in. I tend to do the groups as soon as I get to the venue, and do the biggest group shot first,. and then peel them off, so the guests can see they won't have to be kept from the bar too long :)

Preparation for the portrait type images isn't too long. Just under ten minutes to assemble the lights and roughley position and do a light test. Then my assistant will go and collect the couple as I tweak the positions or settings.
The above image was part of a collection of four images, and the girls were outside for about ten minutes, maximum.

Oddly enough, it takes less time to set up in the rain than in the sun, but seems to take three times as long!

Not that I'll ever have the opportunity take a great shot like this, but it's really interesting to know the setup, thanks!

Not that I'll ever have the opportunity take a great shot like this, but it's really interesting to know the setup, thanks!

Never say never!

An image is what you make it, and at the very least, you can borrow two friends, an umbrella, and make them stand in the rain. ;)

Very good tutorial and excellent image. 1/10th..........did you use a tripod/monopod?

Thanks @Michael Sewell - greatly appreciate the passing of your knowledge, I have printed this off and will give it a go one when I find to willing participants and a rainy day (2nd shouldn't be too hard)

Considering we get two sunny days a year, I expect to see your results this side of Christmas! (y)

Back