copyrite theft

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
I have had to withdraw/remove some of my photos on other sites due to what I consider copyrite theft, even on the same forum. When clearly it states editing not allowed I consider copying a post with a photo and putting a reply under it without permission Is copyrite theft. What do members here think about it please

Last edited:
If I am honest I think you are making something out of nothing.

That would include any reply that quotes your pictures, which is absurd.

Surely it is only polite to ask another member if it ok first before copying a post with a photo on it. When it says "edit my images ticked NO", then copying a post with a picture in it is not only copyrite breach but against forum rules as well ???

only asking. Maybe admin can clarify this for me

Last edited:
I have had to withdraw/remove some of my photos on other sites due to what I consider copyrite theft, even on the same forum. When clearly it states editing not allowed I consider copying a post with a photo and putting a reply under it without permission Is copyrite theft. What do membes here think about it please

a) It's copyright

b) If you are quoting a post (as above), it's not an infringement, because the image is sourced from the same hosting URL.

What you consider to be copyright theft, and what actually constitutes copyright theft, seem to be 2 very different beasts!

a) It's copyright

b) If you are quoting a post (as above), it's not an infringement, because the image is sourced from the same hosting URL.

Are not all that have been copyrited sourced from the hosting site ???
Just trying to clarify it in my own mind as a replied post does not have to include the photo

Last edited:
Firstly, in one regard I agree.,....if the thread is a C&C one and "no" is shown I would ask if a posted edit can be done to show such PP for approval and discussion.

Secondly, there is no such thing as Copyright Theft...........any breach of Copyright is an infringement (i.e an unauthorized use) not theft.

Having said that if you regard quoting (copying?) a post to be 'copyright theft' then such would include the text in the post! I have no idea how web fora could function without the quotation function....... IMO you are barking up the wrong tree.

Last edited:
When clearly it states editing not allowed I consider copying a post with a photo and putting a reply under it without permission Is copyrite theft.
You are entitled to see as anything you want. But, if the reply including your image are posted in the same thread as you originally posted your image you are overreacting.

Good point BB regarding text as well, l but surely words are used as part of a language, photos are a one of made by a particular person.

As I said before Charles (TLR-330 ) I am only asking not commenting. Maybe something that can be introduces it the forum rules

Last edited:
Quite apart from any legal stuff (which I'm happy to debate at your peril), you might want to read the T&Cs of the website that you've signed up to:

You agree that by submitting content to Talk Photography, either via the website, email or any other method, that you grant Slack Media Limited and/or its agents non-exclusive, irrevocable permission to store, reproduce, backup and/or re-present in public, worldwide, via any media, and/or modify (for editorial purposes only) that content. You retain copyright to that content.

All photographs submitted to Talk Photography will remain copyright of their respective author. However, when you submit a photograph to Talk Photography for an event, competition or such activity, you grant Slack Media Limited and/or its agents irrevocable permission to store, reproduce, backup and/or represent in public, worldwide, via any media, and/or modify (for editorial or aesthetic/display purposes only) that content, but only relative to the event to which it was submitted.

Good point BB regarding text as well, l but surely words are used as part of a language, photos are a one of made by a particular person.

As I said before

Text in prose or in song lyrics if copied is logically plagiarism.......another more descriptive word for such a Copyright Infringement. IMO the closest to plagarism in photography might be a 'derivative work'. In a very simplistic way an open or agreed PP edit is derivative but never refered to in that way.

There are TP members who AFAIK never post pictures, perhaps they see the world of photography fora as you are espousing in your OP???

Last edited:
First of all it is nothing to do with talk photography or any of its staff or members, just a general question.
As for others using any forum photos for their own gain is nothing to do with myself . I never have or will

Let me make that clear and plain

Often forum rules are not specific enough and can be left to interpretation

Last edited:
I was half way down this thread... I swear honestly and truthfully I went back to the top to see if it was started on April 1st

Go on then.. Keep going...... :) :)

I have had to withdraw/remove some of my photos on other sites due to what I consider copyrite theft, even on the same forum. When clearly it states editing not allowed I consider copying a post with a photo and putting a reply under it without permission Is copyrite theft. What do members here think about it please
What you have described in the original post is virtually the same as using the quote button and is not a copyright infringement.
Most forums will have T&C that allow quoting of your posts and you agree to those T&C when you sign up.

Thank you all for your replies. At least I now have a better understanding of what I asked. and wanted to find out .
Thank you all very much again

Last edited:
As I said before Charles (TLR-330 ) I am only asking not commenting. Maybe something that can be introduces it the forum rules
OK. I can't talk hypothetically about other fora(?) (forums?) as I don't participate in any or rather the one I participate is not relevant.
If you posted a few photos in the one thread and there is a discussion, people refer to them by number even when they are not numbered. Sometimes it may be easier to figure out which photograph you are referring to in a reply and copy a link to it in the reply. I find it a touch difficult to scroll up and down and then count the photographs to see which photograph the comment refers to.

Further, simply quoting a post would quote everything unless the person responding makes the effort to edit the quoted material (I edit in order to keep to the point or to be brief(er) not out of copyright concerns).

In the case of talkphotography I take the word "edit" literally. We should not edit and post back here the edited image (nothing you can do if I save it on my computer and edit it for my own pleasure).

Finally, I am guilty of at least three times posting in a thread a link to an image created by the Author available on flicker (bugger its spelling) or somewhere simply to try and explain a point. What I would not agree with is to put links or photographs of someone else in a thread or to discuss the subjects of photographs (not the photographer).

This is a wind-up right? The misspelling the absurdity, tell me its a wind-up. Please

This is a wind-up right? The misspelling the absurdity, tell me its a wind-up. Please
If only.

The other thing to marvel at is that the OP has been a member here for 9 years and has made virtually 5000 posts, but has apparently not been concerned about "copyrite theft" until now.

Last edited:
There's probably more to the story - perhaps he's genuinely had cause for concern with an independabt issue outwith the forum which has influenced the thread.

Looks like Bazza just found his 'prat' hat :D

To be honest, I thought he'd gone crazy, but I see what he means.

You post a picture in a thread, and someone quotes your post including the picture - you must be joking to have an issue with this. The picture's been seen already. It's not for anyone's gain and the attribution remains plain. Let's stay real.

When clearly it states editing not allowed I consider copying a post with a photo and putting a reply under it without permission Is copyrite theft.
Maybe it's just me but I'm struggling to understand how quoting a post which may include an image as well as text could constitute copyrite [sic] theft, or more accurately, copyright infringement: in the circumstance you describe no one has edited or made any actual alterations to the image or text in the quoted post, and the person quoting the post hasn't changed the context of the original post or claimed its contents as their own work (as far as TP is concerned the original author is flagged at the top of the quote anyway). In all cases the quote has been used simply to indicate who is being responded to, and, as Charles points out above, to save having to faff about scrolling back and forth to work out who or what is being referenced. Seeing as the images and text quoted are not only on the same website but in the same thread, it'd be a bit mind boggling to refer to such a quote as infringement, let alone theft. Or have I misunderstood something....?
l but surely words are used as part of a language, photos are a one of made by a particular person.
Really? So because words are just "language" that means you can quote any bit of prose, in part or in full, willy nilly without censure? Interesting.

Last edited:
Really? So because words are just "language" that means you can quote any bit of prose, in part or in full, willy nilly without censure? Interesting.
Normally we could quote small passages of text with a proper reference to the original author. A bit like quoting ermm copying the eyes and forehead of a portrait in order to discuss the quality of the eyebrows detail or similar ... I have a feeling this will get complicated.

Normally we could quote small passages of text with a proper reference to the original author. A bit like quoting ermm copying the eyes and forehead of a portrait in order to discuss the quality of the eyebrows detail or similar ... I have a feeling this will get complicated.

It will, because whereas you can quote a portion of a text, a photograph (legally) is considered a holistic entity; ie cropping the image would still be considered to be copying the whole.

It will, because whereas you can quote a portion of a text, a photograph (legally) is considered a holistic entity; ie cropping the image would still be considered to be copying the whole.
But surely it's only an issue if the 'quote', whether text or image, has its source or authorship misrepresented? If the quote is handled as described by the OP and as reiterated in my last post, it shouldn't matter if it's been copied in part or in whole because it is in the context of a review and discussion, usually with the participation of the image's author anyway.

I'm not sure about the underlying structure of this forum, but I would assume that when "quoting" a photo you are not copying it but referring to the original posted by the author. Untrue?

Unbelievable post. A bit of common sense required.
Can you please quote the particular post you're referring to, so we're all clear what you're talking about :naughty:

I'm not sure about the underlying structure of this forum, but I would assume that when "quoting" a photo you are not copying it but referring to the original posted by the author. Untrue?

Sort of. Look at part b) of my first post.

Well there's only one way for the OP to go here to ease his mind.

Sell all camera gear and computer equipment and never log onto the Internet again.

correct - it's drawn from the same hosting source as the original.

Last edited:
Are not all that have been copyrited sourced from the hosting site ???
Just trying to clarify it in my own mind as a replied post does not have to include the photo

So on top of everything else said, are you only worried about the photo? What about quoting your words? Do you consider your words to be your copyright text? After all you also created those in that particular order.

And surely if the thread is a long one and you wanted to refer back to the image, then quoting it so it's included would be correct?

Back