Corfu Airport

Landed there once many years ago in a 707 a few months after one had continued on and into the lagoon. They took some stopping.

Funchal airport can be very ‘interesting’ when it’s windy, had a few go arounds there even trips to Tenerife to sit while the weather improved, of course it works both ways and had gratis extra days too.

Take a look at that link now. It doesn't look too good.

Funchal airport can be very ‘interesting’ when it’s windy, had a few go arounds there even trips to Tenerife to sit while the weather improved, of course it works both ways and had gratis extra days too.
We've been there and it's a great view of the landing strip on the approach..Fortunately, it was a decent weather day.

6 days till take off for the latest visit.
I expect you've gone up in the cable-car to the Botanical Gardens. I can't cope with heights, (me legs 'go funny just looking at photos taken from it..lol) so we went up there on the bus which, as you can guess can be quite hairy,too. It terrified my wife. Lol. The fish market is something else. We looked down on it from the balcony. Took a whale/dolphin boat trip and got some great shots including that of a huge Leatherback sea turtle. Also went to Pico Do Arieiron ,a private tour. Just us and another couple, who we didn't know but turned out to be very nice people. It was a personnel carrier. We stayed in the wonderful Cliff Bay Hotel half-way up the hill out of the town. Would recommend the island to anyone.

Have a good trip. If you've managed to understand the bus ticket system then well done you. I'd be having a go at Masterminbd in that case :D

Last edited:
Never sorted it yet but I think you can now get a rover ? Hop on/off for 3-7-10 days.
We alternate between Girasol suites up towards the Lido in Spring and Penha de Franca by the harbour in late Autumn, just discovered I need new shorts, mine have shrunk in the wardrobe since last year!:ROFLMAO:

Who‘s whale trip did you use? Might manage to get herself on the water sometime.

Last edited:
Never sorted it yet but I think you can now get a rover ? Hop on/off for 3-7-10 days.
We alternate between Girasol suites up towards the Lido in Spring and Penha de Franca by the harbour in late Autumn, just discovered I need new shorts, mine have shrunk in the wardrobe since last year!:ROFLMAO:

Who‘s whale trip did you use? Might manage to get herself on the water sometime.
It was this one.Magic Dolphin https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attra...d_Whale_Watching-Madeira_Madeira_Islands.html

It's Magic Dolphin : We didn't see any dolphins or whales so we went the next day..no charge.I thought that was really decent of them. They were just outside the centre of town. It's at a kiosk,by the harbour. I Googled for where it is and got this. We didn't want a fast dinghy or a yacht.. so I think you'll need to ask for this catamaran. https://magic-dolphin.com/eco-catamaran-tours/

I took this photo of it from our hotel balcony.It looks like they've got a newer version We went in 2015.

125 (125 of 1).jpg

Back