Corporate portrait preferred lighting setup?

Lol, ok Phil point taken, in my defence though I don't recall reading anything she has said before, ( I must start to get here more often again) I think I may now though, as I found this alarming but amusing at the same time, if you get my drift :D

lol

Jenny, you would contribute to the thread in a better way, if instead of criticising everybody and everything, you would explain how you do it and why your way of doing things is better than everybody else's (including the most famous photographer in this area). I'm sure we all here would be interested in learning a few new things.

i give up.

Pretty basic stuff to be honest Jen. Client shows you a set of existing pictures, asks you to add a few headshots to the set due to new starters, etc. Reverse engineer the lighting, pose, focal length, blah blah blah, however normally do a far far better job and end up winning the contract to re-shoot all and hopefully other work. Yay!

Do you know what, this thread was really positive with everyone throwing in help and suggestions with no-one really stating anything that was troll-ish or aggressive and then you step in. You seem to know better than a man who is considered one of the worlds successful head shot and portrait photographers (probably because casting agencies want his pictures to represent their clients as they work for all parties), you started telling everyone that white background is a fad (one of my friends is a semi-retired lifelong photographer who has been shooting in the music industry since Tom Jones was young and has been shooting white background since ever as per provided briefs all around the world - London, LA, New York, Japan, etc. His friends and clients include Backstreet Boys, Culture Club to name a few, flipping long fad if you ask me), then start off on a tangent about lighting modifiers, existing shots, etc.

Blimey. Is everything alright Jenny? You are of course welcome to your opinions about things but to start poking a few of the guys on here who are being helpful to the OP in a generally quite positive thread, well not sure what to say to you really. Would also love to see some of your work as well, although everyone can post and offer their opinion regardless of level sometimes it can add a level of credence to commentary if you know someone is walking the walk as well as talking the talk. Peace and love and harmony and all that stuff.

EDIT: Don't worry, through the power of google I found your work on flickr and facebook and your website:)

My point was that no one had suggest the OP ask the client about existing images. Only a couple of people actually suggested asking the client what style they want!

Reverse engineer lighting? You're no longer on the same planet.

I am clearly wasting my time here.

cheers Phil.
Jen.
The first rule of Internet fora is self perception. If you're not aware that you have a habit of poking hornets nest then I'm disappointed. I thought you were smarter than that.

And yes that is a compliment, no matter how it might read.

Jen.
The first rule of Internet fora is self perception. If you're not aware that you have a habit of poking hornets nest then I'm disappointed. I thought you were smarter than that.

And yes that is a compliment, no matter how it might read.

I've had enough of this, Phil. PM me if you want to stay in touch. You're one of the few people here worth talking to.

There was a rant targeted at everyone but me, but you @JennyGW had edited it out before I could quote it. Feeling a bit left out to be honest. I think some of the things you put were little bit off the cuff and not very considered so deleting it was prob a good thing to be honest.

Having had a Guinness and needing a break from processing a wedding whilst listening to Depeche Mode The Singles 81>85, maybe a moment to reflect on life, the universe and everything.

Before running my own business, I was working as a Senior Consultant in a blue chip company and part of the remit of the job was to sell as well as do. Essentially as well as doing the work to meet targets fulfill client requirements etc, I had to sell my time and when I was promoted to lead my team had to sell their time as well. One of the key things I picked up through my sales and marketing training plus good solid experience is that everyone bar none is a potential client and you just pick up a generally pleasant be nice and positive attitude to everyone you meet, regardless of who they are and how they behave, cos people sell to people and you never know. Running my own business Jenny, as you do, this attitude has served me well winning me business out of unexpected places not only cos I take a good snap but also because people tend to think I'm a nice guy and want to do business with nice and professional me. Seeing from your website and facebook you seem to be a photographer in business, however acting the way you do doesn't do much to promote you to be honest, it might be worth taking a moment to think about that. None of us here knows everything (apart from of course a few such as Garry Edwards and Hoppy - I prostrate myself humbly in front of your photography knowledgeableness) and most always willing to listen, learn and try something new, however no-one likes a know it all. Maybe a nicer more positive attitude generally might allow you to charge more than £120 for a set of headshots if business gets better.

Right, more wedding processing and Guinness I think! :beer:

There was a rant targeted at everyone but me, but you @JennyGW had edited it out before I could quote it. Feeling a bit left out to be honest. I think some of the things you put were little bit off the cuff and not very considered so deleting it was prob a good thing to be honest.

Having had a Guinness and needing a break from processing a wedding whilst listening to Depeche Mode The Singles 81>85, maybe a moment to reflect on life, the universe and everything.

Before running my own business, I was working as a Senior Consultant in a blue chip company and part of the remit of the job was to sell as well as do. Essentially as well as doing the work to meet targets fulfill client requirements etc, I had to sell my time and when I was promoted to lead my team had to sell their time as well. One of the key things I picked up through my sales and marketing training plus good solid experience is that everyone bar none is a potential client and you just pick up a generally pleasant be nice and positive attitude to everyone you meet, regardless of who they are and how they behave, cos people sell to people and you never know. Running my own business Jenny, as you do, this attitude has served me well winning me business out of unexpected places not only cos I take a good snap but also because people tend to think I'm a nice guy and want to do business with nice and professional me. Seeing from your website and facebook you seem to be a photographer in business, however acting the way you do doesn't do much to promote you to be honest, it might be worth taking a moment to think about that. None of us here knows everything (apart from of course a few such as Garry Edwards and Hoppy - I prostrate myself humbly in front of your photography knowledgeableness) and most always willing to listen, learn and try something new, however no-one likes a know it all. Maybe a nicer more positive attitude generally might allow you to charge more than £120 for a set of headshots if business gets better.

I can't find words for my disappointment...

Depeche Mode?
WTF?

Thanks, I needed a good laugh :)

Yoof of today...
Wiv their fancy Depeche Mode and that innit! ;)

Never really raved about them at the time, just heard a few tunes on the radio a few years back so bought The Singles album to help with some of the long motorway drives turned out to be good listening whilst doing something else music such as driving, processing or watching self obsessed people self destruct on forums.

If someone can get paid $1000 for a headshot session they are doing something very right wether we like it or not :)

It's not necessarily the best at the job that gets the work but if you can create a style/brand that people buy into and are willing to pay a premium for it you will become successful.

After watching Peter Hurley on youtube I think he is good at what he does, the whole package not just the photographs.

I agree with Marcus, everyone is a potential client.

You don't know if the person you have just insulted/upset is a nobody or part of an international media corporation looking for their new photographer :)
More than likely they are a nobody but you never know.

If someone can get paid $1000 for a headshot session they are doing something very right wether we like it or not :)

It's not necessarily the best at the job that gets the work but if you can create a style/brand that people buy into and are willing to pay a premium for it you will become successful.

After watching Peter Hurley on youtube I think he is good at what he does, the whole package not just the photographs.

With a client list like this:-

• 95.5 PLJ
  • Axe
  • Bic
  • Colgate
  • Cosmopolitan
  • DailyCandy
  • DKNY
  • Evian
  • Focus Features
  • GoDaddy
  • Halabaloo
  • Humanscale
  • IBM
  • Johnnie Walker
  • Johnson & Johnson
  • Levi's
  • Liberty Mutual
  • Microsoft
  • Pelli Clarke Pelli
  • Reebok
  • Revlon
  • Simon & Schuster
  • The Bracha Group
  • The Vilcek Foundation
  • TheWrap
  • Toshiba
  • UM
  • Vert & Vogue

He obviously does something, pretty much right.

It is not about being the best photographer in the world, but clearly he is recognised by those with the money and power to book him. And if they weren't happy with the results he wouldn't get repeat business or have such a blue chip client list.

I agree with Marcus, everyone is a potential client.

You don't know if the person you have just insulted/upset is a nobody or part of an international media corporation looking for their new photographer :)
More than likely they are a nobody but you never know.

Spot on.

Anyways......

.....the day went well, client 'over the moon' with the shots. I had a huge empty office with white walls and sockets everywhere so location couldn't have been better.
I learnt a few things, you can't be over prepared - my long USB cable appeared to have snapped off part of my laptops USB port and it was wedged in, luckily I threw in a spare. Also clients change their mind at short notice - turned out there were 15 staff that needed doing in 2 hours and they now wanted 3/4 length as well as head shots... after I'd set up the lighting. And I need a nice big octo, my softlighter was a tad small so a little LR tweak was needed for the 3/4 length shots.

Many thanks for all the advice folks, much appreciated as always.

Oh and they opted for white bg on advice from their design consultancy as they wanted a 'modern look' to fit with their new website....

Anyways......

.....the day went well, client 'over the moon' with the shots. I had a huge empty office with white walls and sockets everywhere so location couldn't have been better.
I learnt a few things, you can't be over prepared - my long USB cable appeared to have snapped off part of my laptops USB port and it was wedged in, luckily I threw in a spare. Also clients change their mind at short notice - turned out there were 15 staff that needed doing in 2 hours and they now wanted 3/4 length as well as head shots... after I'd set up the lighting. And I need a nice big octo, my softlighter was a tad small so a little LR tweak was needed for the 3/4 length shots.

Many thanks for all the advice folks, much appreciated as always.

Oh and they opted for white bg on advice from their design consultancy as they wanted a 'modern look' to fit with their new website....

Well done fella. Willing to post up a shot or two? Not for C&C but just out of curiosity?

Be interested to see the results. this has been an informative thread. I got offered some head shots on the back of shooting a conference for a fairly large company (which came my way through some good karma) but it was completly out of the range of my experience and equipment and luckily the dates didnt work out as i was scared of ending up like the woman who has caused this thread in the first place! I'd done similar stuff before but something just felt not right about it. I'd be interested to see how it truned out as they were not big on budget.

Look forward to seeing them :)

Put them in the C&C people section, if you dare!!! He he.

Nope not brave enough. Anyway here is a temp folder on Flickr with a handful in:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tom_b_2012/sets/72157651812962028/

Biggest thing I can see is the fill from camera left has left some strange shadows on the neck - I was using a shoot through which was prob a bit hard, would be better with a nice big double diffused soft box, or perhaps I could have feathered it a bit...

Nope not brave enough. Anyway here is a temp folder on Flickr with a handful in:

Biggest thing I can see is the fill from camera left has left some strange shadows on the neck - I was using a shoot through which was prob a bit hard, would be better with a nice big double diffused soft box, or perhaps I could have feathered it a bit...

Nowt wrong with them fella. They've come out fab. Love the one of the lady with the blue eyes and blonde hair. I can see what you mean about the shadow but doesnt kill the images at all fella. Nice one.

My untrained eye sees nothing wrong with those..
They all look natural poses, I can't see anything wrong with the shadow..

Looks good to me. On the phone so can just about see the shadow, but it's certainly not a deal breaker!

Good job!!

With a client list like this:-

• 95.5 PLJ
  • Axe
  • Bic
  • Colgate
  • Cosmopolitan
  • DailyCandy
  • DKNY
  • Evian
  • Focus Features
  • GoDaddy
  • Halabaloo
  • Humanscale
  • IBM
  • Johnnie Walker
  • Johnson & Johnson
  • Levi's
  • Liberty Mutual
  • Microsoft
  • Pelli Clarke Pelli
  • Reebok
  • Revlon
  • Simon & Schuster
  • The Bracha Group
  • The Vilcek Foundation
  • TheWrap
  • Toshiba
  • UM
  • Vert & Vogue

He obviously does something, pretty much right.

It is not about being the best photographer in the world, but clearly he is recognised by those with the money and power to book him. And if they weren't happy with the results he wouldn't get repeat business or have such a blue chip client list.

Spot on.

Are you 100% sure they aren't his modeling clients? Because I believe they are. Hurley is first and foremost a model.

Client lists can be made to sound more impressive than they are. I mean I've shot for all sorts of huge organisations, like Nike and Pernod-Ricard, photographed a heap of famous people, like Hugh Jackman and a bunch of Prime Ministers. That doesn't mean I'm particularly good compared to any other photographer. Big organisations = a crap load of people doing work with them.

Fine if you're shooting the lead images for a global campaign, but most people don't specify that. ;)

Are you 100% sure they aren't his modeling clients? Because I believe they are. Hurley is first and foremost a model.

His bio suggests otherwise. He was a model of course, probably knocking on a bit for that now.

You didn't ask for critique so I'm not going to give it. But.....did those 2 guys wear the same suit?

they look bob on to me.
I'm no expert but for general website use, they look clean, the background is clear without burning out the subject.
There's no, dramatic artistic interpretation for me; but your brief was (I think) clean, pro and suitable for the website. I think you've hit your brief.

Hurley was a model......He's now first and foremost a professional photographer and photography instructor.

Back