Cotswold Cameras

Name
Kell
Edit My Images
Yes
Last edited:
Reading their website.

They are a grey import supplier and they mention their HK warehouse but possibly disingenuously this is vague because maybe not everyone will know HK is Hong Kong especially as they talk up their UK presence.

Having said that HDEW are grey importers but AFAIK is some instances hold stock in the UK

So, your money your choice.

Anyone have any experience?

I'm not in a position to buy just yet, but I keep checking prices of Canon's 80D.

Normally, it's about between £950 and £1,000 (plus a kit lens), but the above store has a body only for sale at £699.

Am I missing something (probably)? Grey import? Second Hand? etc...

Confused of High Wycombe.

http://www.cotswoldcameras.co.uk/ca...O8K7cGQ2KGCPhc7-Hi8YCG6N1b20wPEhoCzRsQAvD_BwE

Grey imports, it states that on the FAQ part of their site.

Just read that first link from end-to-end.

Doesn't really fill me with confidence about warranty and/or any future bills.

Did cakey ever get his money refunded?

From what I could see, the last post was about 4 days after the problems.

Last edited:
Another vote for HDEW.

Bought my Olympus kit from there with a 3 year warranty for the body.

Excellent service and saved a packet.

You're comparing apples with oranges.

E-Infinity is a grey market importer based in Hong Kong. If you buy from them you are legally required to pay import duties (6.9% on lenses, no duty on cameras) and VAT when the item comes into the UK. Many people choose not to do this, and they're breaking the law. But then many people choose to steal stuff from Tesco instead of paying for it, so at the end of the day I guess we don't all have the same attitude towards the law.

HDEW is a grey market importer based in the UK. They claim that all their equipment is imported legally (i.e. duty and VAT paid). They are certainly registered for VAT, but on the other hand [1] they only issue VAT invoices on request, and [2] their prices are pretty much what you'd expect if they weren't charging VAT. This raises the suspicion that they might not be operating completely legally.

Cotswold Cameras is a grey market importer based in the UK, though the company itself is registered in the British Virgin Islands. They claim that all their equipment is imported legally (i.e. duty and VAT paid), but they do not provide VAT invoices so it looks like they're operating illegally too.

HDEW is a grey market importer based in the UK. They claim that all their equipment is imported legally (i.e. duty and VAT paid)..

Except that:-

Please note that by making a purchase on this website you will be acting as the importer of the product for all purposes including all customs regulations,copyright and trademark laws.You accept that the role of HDEW Cameras is limited to sourcing products and making them available for you to import directly from the country of origin.By purchasing a product through this website you authorise us to make arrangements for clearance of customs on your behalf for the products you have ordered.

https://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/terms.asp

You're comparing apples with oranges.

E-Infinity is a grey market importer based in Hong Kong. If you buy from them you are legally required to pay import duties (6.9% on lenses, no duty on cameras) and VAT when the item comes into the UK. Many people choose not to do this, and they're breaking the law. But then many people choose to steal stuff from Tesco instead of paying for it, so at the end of the day I guess we don't all have the same attitude towards the law.

HDEW is a grey market importer based in the UK. They claim that all their equipment is imported legally (i.e. duty and VAT paid). They are certainly registered for VAT, but on the other hand [1] they only issue VAT invoices on request, and [2] their prices are pretty much what you'd expect if they weren't charging VAT. This raises the suspicion that they might not be operating completely legally.

Cotswold Cameras is a grey market importer based in the UK, though the company itself is registered in the British Virgin Islands. They claim that all their equipment is imported legally (i.e. duty and VAT paid), but they do not provide VAT invoices so it looks like they're operating illegally too.
Not really and your post suggests they are all operating illegally so apples to apples:)

Same products different prices at end of day. Their route from the factory to the UK is only important if you want the additional benefits of a uk warrenty (and some will)

Let’s not forget we are only in this position because the manufacturer thinks the eu market can pay higher prices than the aisan market. That’s basically setting the price on how someone looks.

Let’s not forget we are only in this position because the manufacturer thinks the eu market can pay higher prices than the aisan market. That’s basically setting the price on how someone looks.
Well, I'd say we're in this position because our government collects quite a lot of taxes (import duty, VAT, etc) to pay for stuff like education and health care and pensions and social security, and Asian governments don't.

As a business purchaser I reclaim any VAT I pay. So if Asian suppliers really were cheaper than UK suppliers, it would make sense for me to buy from them, voluntarily declare the imports and pay the VAT in order to make sure I'm in the clear legally, and then reclaim the VAT from HMRC. But every time I've looked it this, the economics don't stack up. Take off the VAT and UK suppliers are just as competitive. (With the notable exception of newly-released equipment, where UK suppliers are much more adept at fleecing the must-have-it-now-at-any-price brigade!)

Just out of interest, I've read that some official repairers won't repair 'grey import' cameras at all. So what happens if I bought the camera when I lived and worked in Singapore, then brought it back here when I moved home.

Or is that all scaremongering by the people that want you to buy UK supplied kit?

Just out of interest, I've read that some official repairers won't repair 'grey import' cameras at all. So what happens if I bought the camera when I lived and worked in Singapore, then brought it back here when I moved home.

Or is that all scaremongering by the people that want you to buy UK supplied kit?

Nikon quite happily changed out the shutter in my d750 as part of its recall program. Sigma have also serviced/repaired/updated lenses for me.

If you need a warranty repair, then I think it's reasonable to expect that the manufacturer's UK subsidiary won't do it. If the camera was sold by Canon UK, then Canon UK will provide warranty support. But Canon Singapore is a different company. That's why grey importers usually provide their own warranties.

For a paid repair, however, I think it's reasonable to expect that the UK repairers will do it. After all, they make a profit on paid repairs.

I may be wrong but if you were living and working in Singapore (or any place other than UK) purchased a camera from a reputable store legally and brought your camera back to the UK when you permanently moved back here then the UK importer would repair it if still under warranty, possibly as a "gesture of goodwill", although camera bodies may not have a worldwide warranty if bought abroad, so I guess your warranty card would explain.
L series lenses however have a worldwide warranty AFAIK so cant see why they wouldnt get repaired.
Not sure what Canon's policy is now, many years ago they wouldnt repair even at cost a grey import, mainly because they wanted to shut down grey imports.

Anyone have any experience?

I'm not in a position to buy just yet, but I keep checking prices of Canon's 80D.

Normally, it's about between £950 and £1,000 (with a kit lens), but the above store has a body only for sale at £699.

Am I missing something (probably)? Grey import? Second Hand? etc...

Confused of High Wycombe.

http://www.cotswoldcameras.co.uk/ca...O8K7cGQ2KGCPhc7-Hi8YCG6N1b20wPEhoCzRsQAvD_BwE

They are grey and although I haven't used them myself a couple of friends have and they were very happy with their purchases.

Just bought a Canon 5D MKIV from Cotswold cameras and the service so far has been very good. Ordered the camera and within 6 days it was delivered. Came with an English plug and manual. Having spoken with David before purchase regarding warranty, he assured me they use A J Johnstone of Glasgow, (a Canon authorised service centre) for any warranty issues and that I was free to contact them direct for any questions before purchase.

So far I am very pleased with the purchase, tracking with UPS was very comprehensive and could see exactly where my camera was throughout the wait.

Back