Could I go and buy a film camera tomorrow?

sorry guys, there are parts of this thread that are very useful, and parts that are a car crash, so I am closing, but will leave viewable for the info from those of you that have contributed helpfully.

edit:...actually no, I have a far better idea, why should everyone suffer

So was I - and he probably is... and how the hell did you get stuck in a dry cleaners ffs?

I went down (me being the heavy mob) NOT me's a big gentle giant, to pull an account due to non payment, he wasn't happy at me removing my equipment from his shop before he got there and without giving him notice (if we'd given notice we'd never have got our kit back) he decided to lock me in until I gave him our kit back, which wasn't happening, so I just stand there and get verbally abused for 2 hours whilst he eventually calms down and realises he's in more trouble than he should be and that I was being reasonable with him, we offered him the return of the equipment once he clears his account.

It was a little farcical and he was renowned for being like this, hence the engineer who normally covers the area had asked me to go down instead as it would have been too much for him.

Oh and Lyntons PM box is full!

Last edited:
Tim,

Would love to......... Thursday it is then

Lynton, your message box is full...

Haven't Nikon actually stopped making the F6?

This is the film camera that I absolutely want !!!!

One F5 and one F6 niiiice. (y)

They probably stopped making them 5 years ago, built a final batch that they've got sitting in a shipping crate somewhere, and when they get an order for one, they just go and get one out of the crate, run it through test/calibrations to make sure it still works, and send it out. :shrug:

Ambermile/Lynton: Thursday ... I'm working I'm afraid :crying::crying::crying: Attleborough in the morning/afternoon and Norwich in the evening.

We were looking at a vast range of Leica models in a shop in London on Saturday, most of which just didn't have a price tag at all, usually indicative of the fact one can't actually afford them, but I guess at least some of them were film bodies.

As an aside, if I wanted a Nikon, that was roughly equivalent to my D70s, but in a film body, which one would I be looking for? :thinking:

Arthur - pm box free'd up a bit -

Tim / Arthur? Friday or Saturday........ can do either............

AM really up for this, given Ujjwals thoughts I was here to take pee!

They probably stopped making them 5 years ago, built a final batch that they've got sitting in a shipping crate somewhere, and when they get an order for one, they just go and get one out of the crate, run it through test/calibrations to make sure it still works, and send it out. :shrug:

I think everyone knows now that it is the camera I REALLY want :)

I can't find anyone actually selling them new though.

As an aside, if I wanted a Nikon, that was roughly equivalent to my D70s, but in a film body, which one would I be looking for?
Box Brownie :LOL:

As an aside, if I wanted a Nikon, that was roughly equivalent to my D70s, but in a film body, which one would I be looking for? :thinking:

Nikon F80

About the same size, works with all modern lenses right up to G lenses and VR etc.

Perfect.....

EDIT: and about £30-50 on fleabay. I bought one for £60 in it's box having only had 2 films though it :)

Arthur - pm box free'd up a bit -

Tim / Arthur? Friday or Saturday........ can do either............

AM really up for this, given Ujjwals thoughts I was here to take pee!

really up for what ?

Nikon F80

About the same size, works with all modern lenses right up to G lenses and VR etc.

Perfect.....

Darren is right, but I use to own an F100, much nicer with a better viewfinder than the F80, plus a slightly better build IIRC

Film meet? As long as its at the weekend I'm up for it!

Damn ... I have just offered to lend out BOTH my film bodies ... :bang::bang::bang:

Film meet? As long as its at the weekend I'm up for it!

Damn ... I have just offered to lend out BOTH my film bodies ... :bang::bang::bang:

I shouldn't think that would be a problem lending you a film body of your choice from most of us on here!

Nikon film wise I could only lend you either an F5 or a Nikkormat FT2.

Others will have loads more choice ;)

Last edited:
Tim, gonna have to be next week I think unless you want to go out with Lynton over the weekend (it's when I work unfortunately). I'm letting him have the Dynax 7 and a bw 400ASA film tomorrow... if he shoots it over the weekend I can soup it on Monday and see what he got.

Nikon F80

Perfect.....

EDIT: and about £30-50 on fleabay. I bought one for £60 in it's box having only had 2 films though it :)

:plus1:

The F80 is a really nice lightweight body that works with well modern lenses. Another option is the older F70 if you need metering on older lenses.

excellent Darren thankyou (y)

No problem. I did look at the F100 but they are treble the price for not much of a boost. I nearly bid on an auction a couple of weeks ago where an F80 went with two lenses (about 24-80 and 80-200 ish) all three boxes in excellent condition in a bag for £100.

You will never loose out with something like that. If you do get one let me know and I'll send you a roll of Kodak cn400 black and White c41 film to try

No problem. I did look at the F100 but they are treble the price for not much of a boost.

The F100s do offer a little more and have the 'D300' build. The nice thing about the F80 is that it weighs next to nothing and can easily be slipped in a bag with a digital :eek: kit. Having said that, if I plan on using just film I tend to take a manual body (FM2n or FE2 are nice lightwieght options).

Here's a useful set of reviews on the different options: http://www.bythom.com/Bodies.htm#n80 -- if you click though you get more complete reviews of the bodies.

Last edited:
from nikons I have f65 - cool little camera, smooth and very quiet. I have another minolta 700si coming , that's a reallllly great camera for very little money.

I used to like my little F301. Manual but with an auto wind-on, made a great noise and produced some lovely images. Solid build as well and they seem to go for under £20.

Andy

I used to like my little F301. Manual but with an auto wind-on, made a great noise and produced some lovely images. Solid build as well and they seem to go for under £20.

Andy

I had the 501 the autofocus version but it took all the manual lenses and as Andy said solidly built and yes I was sad and loved the noise it made

Andy

Yes I have one too, but those Nikon lenses can be expensive and my Nikon is relegated to Tamron lens use.

Dynax 9 minolta will do fine too ! :LOL:

Mine's in the Classifieds... :D

(Paypal only
poke2.gif
)

I'd love a 1V but no-one stocks them anywhere...so I'm stuck with the EOS-3 I just bought from here which is sitting in my hallway at home (having been signed for by a neighbour this morning)

I'd love a 1V but no-one stocks them anywhere...so I'm stuck with the EOS-3 I just bought from here which is sitting in my hallway at home (having been signed for by a neighbour this morning)

Not exactly a bad camera to be "stuck with" mate ;)

Not exactly a bad camera to be "stuck with" mate ;)

No I know...big step up from the 1000FN. It's got all the bells and whistles of my 1D but it's film (AKA Full Frame for less).

Been doing a lot of magazine work on 120 so far and publishers are loving the results (it's almost as if they've forgotten what film looks like)...this will be my lifestyle/features/magazine camera when I want a bit more portability or need something different in terms of lenses.

Back