Couple of Days in the Mach Loop with rain and bad light

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
I found myself in the vicinity of the loop for an evening and the next morning to early afternoon, so I decided that Cad West would be a nice place to visit.

First movement on the 17th was a high T1, only got sky shots so no picture included. Then I had a long wait, and as left all alone on the hill till a late Frontliner made an appearance. Typically I was caught mid 'relief' so a combination of very bad light and being caught off guard explains the slightly dodgy pics.

IMG_7514800px.jpg

IMG_7523800px.jpg

To show how bad the light was look at how much he strobe has lit up the aircraft.

IMG_7513800px.jpg

After this I called it a day, and vowed to return the next morning.

First movement was relatively early, with a Herc making a morning appearance.

IMG_7543copy.jpg

We then had a bit of wait again, but one of the local boys popped in the relieve some frustration.

IMG_7561800px.jpg

IMG_7564800px.jpg

Then came the aircraft which stole the two days for me, a lovely two stick Typhoon, who pulled vertical as he passed us.

IMG_7572800px.jpg

IMG_7575800px.jpg

And now for my pic of the day;

IMG_7582800px.jpg

I'm relatively happy with the pics considering the conditions, but the last one to me made my trip.

Cheers for looking,

Andy

These look pretty good to me - I like the composition of the second picture. And the close-up of the cockpit looks excellent too. Not that I'm a plane shooter.

BTW - I was interested in your comment on the strobe lighting up the aircraft. Are you sure this has happened - I doubt if a flash had the reach to make any difference tbh.

BTW - I was interested in your comment on the strobe lighting up the aircraft. Are you sure this has happened - I doubt if a flash had the reach to make any difference tbh.

I think he means the strobe on the aircraft - the light that is attached and clearly lit is known as the strobe.

I do love the last Typhoon shot - especially nice with the bit of the colour from the rainbow included.

DB

excellent shots in difficult conditions, Typhoons my fav, particularly the close up of the cockpit :clap:

good work Andrew, patience paid off big time!

love #2,3,7,8+9

C

Hi Andy,
Some excellent shots under difficult conditions. 'scuse the ignorance but I've a couple of questions:
  1. Where's Mach Loop or Cad West please?
  2. What lens do you use for those shots?

Don't think the FPO will give me a pass out to make a visit but I'd love to get up there myself one day. :crying:

Last edited by a moderator:

I meant the strobe on the aircraft top. I knew the light was pretty bad but I was surprised that it lit so much of the aircraft surface.

Thanks for the nice comments.

Hi Andy,
Some excellent shots under difficult conditions. 'scuse the ignorance but I've a couple of questions:
  1. Where's Mach Loop or Cad West please?
  2. What lens do you use for those shots?

Don't think the FPO will give me a pass out to make a visit but I'd love to get up there myself one day. :crying:

Where Big Ham says, mid Wales.

These were all shot with on my 40D with an 80-200mm 2.8L with a 1.4x converter.

I have to try and time my visits with work as getting SWMBO to agree to me using leave to take pictures of planes would be nigh on impossible.(y)

Cheers guys for the info. (y)

In between my post and now I did do a Google on it and it looks interesting.

My longest lens is a Nikon AF Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6 G and using it on a D300S ; so am I right in thinking the cropped body gives me a 35mm equivalent of 450mm max? Would that be of any use, or would I be pushing it?

I've got a week off mid September and was thinking of going up there to try my hand but gotta earn brownie points first. :D

Thanks.

I love that last shot,not seen one like that posted from the low fly boyz.

No crit from me .........................,cos I only know about rally cars and horses:D

Pons

Cheers guys for the info. (y)

In between my post and now I did do a Google on it and it looks interesting.

My longest lens is a Nikon AF Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6 G and using it on a D300S ; so am I right in thinking the cropped body gives me a 35mm equivalent of 450mm max? Would that be of any use, or would I be pushing it?

I've got a week off mid September and was thinking of going up there to try my hand but gotta earn brownie points first. :D

Thanks.

i`ve used a 300 mm lens up there and i was happy enough.i went up there today to try my new 400mm lens but rain stopped play.i don`t think there was any activity today so i left at noon and went a bought a nifty fifty instead.

That's a good catch given the apparent lack of low flying the RAF are doing in the area at the moment. I've been to the loop may times over the last 6 years or so and know how difficult it is to come back with anything worthwhile. Being in close proximity to the jets is quite spectacular though (y)

The last one is excellent. Did he light up the afterburners?

Really superb shots mate. I would love to take pics like that. Awesome!

i`ve used a 300 mm lens up there and i was happy enough.i went up there today to try my new 400mm lens but rain stopped play.i don`t think there was any activity today so i left at noon and went a bought a nifty fifty instead.

Cheers Rob.

That's right cheer yourself up with a bit of retail therapy ;)

Not into planes per se, but No2 (the tornado) and the last one (eurofighter??) are boss - they look like really painterly and have by far the best composition. I think the greyness of the day works to keep everything low key and subtle. The erst are good captures but more for plane enthusiasts methinks. Those two I've mentioned are class photos that anyone can appreciate :)

i was at the bwylch yesterday from 10 till 4 and all i saw was 2 hawks all day.

Nice edit Chaz. I was only able to do a very quick edit and then shoot off. Going to have a play with them all to get more out of them, just didn't have the time.

nice set of shots
im going this wednesday. 1st time. just wondering were to go
looked at all the sites on low fly media and noticed a couple more that they dont have details on yet.
whats the best location for the 1st time
also any info on the climbs. hard . easy. killers LOL
was wondering what i need to take up wirh me
would like to take a fold up chair but may be a bit much, w with all my other gear as well
camera wise
5d and 30d as back up
100-400L
70-200L and 1,4 con
and the 24 -70 for landscape shots in between. and maybe for wider shots of aircraft in surroundings
any help will be very appreciated

nice set of shots
im going this wednesday. 1st time. just wondering were to go
looked at all the sites on low fly media and noticed a couple more that they dont have details on yet.
whats the best location for the 1st time
also any info on the climbs. hard . easy. killers LOL
was wondering what i need to take up wirh me
would like to take a fold up chair but may be a bit much, w with all my other gear as well
camera wise
5d and 30d as back up
100-400L
70-200L and 1,4 con
and the 24 -70 for landscape shots in between. and maybe for wider shots of aircraft in surroundings
any help will be very appreciated

i personally prefer the bwlch and the climb up to it isn`t bad.i`ve just bought a pop up tent from argos that i`ll take next time as the weather will start turning now.

i personally prefer the bwlch and the climb up to it isn`t bad.i`ve just bought a pop up tent from argos that i`ll take next time as the weather will start turning now.

thanks
just online doing more research into it
is the bwlch the place were it has 3 shelves, if so which is better.
one thing i came across was something about. was to be aware of sheep ticks
anyone any comments on that, or is it not as bad as some people make out
im looking at go outdoors website for a small shelter , and we have a store not too far away. so may go tomorrow. but ill check argos out as well.

Rob, I've not done the bwlch. Is it easier than Cadwest then?

Kev.

Anyone off to Cad West Tomorrow?. Weather looks Half Decent for the next couple of days...

off there wed. but like i said earlier in the post. undecided on what location to visit
weather looking good on wed as well

off there wed. but like i said earlier in the post. undecided on what location to visit
weather looking good on wed as well

Yes I was undecided about either Tues or Wed, but figure after the Long Weekend some stuff may come out to stretch its legs on Tues (Never know though, pays your money and takes your chance!)

Yes I was undecided about either Tues or Wed, but figure after the Long Weekend some stuff may come out to stretch its legs on Tues (Never know though, pays your money and takes your chance!)

thats true. long weekend off.
damn im only off work wed, fingers crossed they will all be hung over tomorrow, and wait till wed LOL
still need to decide on a location. my fitness might see me in a heap after 2 yards.
fancy the one were you drive 95% of the way but, dont fancy meeting anything coming the other way

Rob, I've not done the bwlch. Is it easier than Cadwest then?

Kev.

i think it is.cad west is ok till you hit the fence line,then its a jaunt up.at least with the bwlch you can follow the track then walk across sideways to get to the shelfs.
i also prefer the way the jets approach you.

Last edited:
thanks
just online doing more research into it
is the bwlch the place were it has 3 shelves, if so which is better.
one thing i came across was something about. was to be aware of sheep ticks
anyone any comments on that, or is it not as bad as some people make out
im looking at go outdoors website for a small shelter , and we have a store not too far away. so may go tomorrow. but ill check argos out as well.

the middle shelf is good and so far i`ve not come across sheep ticks.cad west is also for sheep so you could get them there.argos are selling the tents for 17.99 and erect in 2 seconds.watch the youtube videos to master taking them down though.practise at home as its not something you want to be doing on the day 500 feet up lol.

I'd say the climb up Cad West and the Bwlch middle shelf are about the same. Cad West is longer but the climb to the middle shelf is short but a bit steeper. Like has been said it's pretty easy to follow the path and then make your way accross. Might get a bit chilly on the Bwlch in the afternoon though so take some clothes to wrap up in.

thanks for all the help
going off 1st thing in the morning.
got a new fold up chair today from go outdoors, a lot lighter than the ones i normaly use, and a lot easier to carry. i looked at one of the beach shelters also. but although it wasnt very heavy, i thought perhaps id leave it for now, weather looking dry and as im going on my own i wont have anyone to help share the carrying , got all my camera stuff along with food + flasks, i think ive got enough.
is it worth taking tripod up with me. was wondering if any decent landscape shots could be had using my spare body and wide angle lens,
and with regards to the planes ( if any) what exposure modes do you use. obviously dark and light planes against green backgrounds, could confuse the meter, i normaly use all manual now ( thanks to bryan peterson) would taking a reading off the green hills be ok for a correct exposure.
and what about focus ai servo or pre manual focus.

i wouldn`t bother with the tripod.with regards to exposure,when your on the shelf look across the valley to the hill opposite you.on there there is a small scree patch of stones i use to get the right exposure as the jets (hopefully) fly through this.i live 45 minutes away and it could be like the cosat del sol at home and monsoon season up there(although i think tommorrow will be nice).take some sunscreen as well.

i`m up on thursday and friday so hopefully it`ll still be nice

i wouldn`t bother with the tripod.with regards to exposure,when your on the shelf look across the valley to the hill opposite you.on there there is a small scree patch of stones i use to get the right exposure as the jets (hopefully) fly through this.i live 45 minutes away and it could be like the cosat del sol at home and monsoon season up there(although i think tommorrow will be nice).take some sunscreen as well.

i`m up on thursday and friday so hopefully it`ll still be nice

thanks, . i think i will start with the bwlch as a first timer, its about 100 miles for me so will be setting off early , thinking of trying to get car park for about 7 am
it will probably take me about 3 hrs to climb up LOL
im taking 30d and the 5d, but i think the 5 d and 100-400 will be used. i know the crop sensor is going to get a bit closer but the quality of the 5d is far superior and i can always crop a bit later.
is it worth taking my scanner and if so does anyone have any useful frequencies to tune in to

Back