Couple of questions about the OM40...!

Name
Julian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hiya,
So there I am, gladly paying £25 for a second hand Olympus Zuiko 35-105mm zoom to a fella I met through eBay, and he says he'd rather sell it as a job lot with a broken OM40Program with 50mm lens, all in for £35. I said ok, as I thought I could sell on the broken camera for spares.
Anyway, I took the batteries out of my OM2n & put them into the OM40 to see what exactly was wrong with it, and it worked perfectly!!!!!!!:nuts::woot:

So, here's the questions. I'm going to track down an instruction manual through the web, but until it comes, could anyone help me out? Sorry if I'm being a bit simple.:help:
1. It has a button saying ESP on it, does anyone know what that means?
2. It has one next to the wind-on lever with an 'R' on the top, what does it do? It's not the clutch wind the film back in.
3. How does it turn on and off?!!!!!:LOL: Where I'm used to turning the power on and off on my OM2n and OM10, I have a nob saying 'auto', 'manual', 'P' (program) and battery check, but no power switch. Am I blind?
4. What does 'program' actually do? There are no settings for things like portrait or sport, landscape, etc etc. I've never had a program camera before and haven't ever really looked into what it means.

Sorry if these are embarassingly simple questions! I'd be grateful for just a quick pointer in the right direction until a manual comes along.
Thanks folks.
Julian.;)

Hiya,

ESP is Electro Selective Pattern metering or Olympus version of matrix or mutli elvative metering.

2. It has one next to the wind-on lever with an 'R' on the top, what does it do? It's not the clutch wind the film back in. As far as I remeber the 'R' is to allow you to disingauge the wind on mech so you can rewind the film.

3. How does it turn on and off?!!!!!:LOL: Where I'm used to turning the power on and off on my OM2n and OM10, I have a nob saying 'auto', 'manual', 'P' (program) and battery check, but no power switch. Am I blind?
I think it is an Auto Power off

4. What does 'program' actually do? There are no settings for things like portrait or sport, landscape, etc etc. I've never had a program camera before and haven't ever really looked into what it means.
Program mode simply makes the camera point and shoot, a new and common feature on SLRs of the time, it predates the "landscape", "portait" modes of later machines like the EOS.
To make it work stick the it on P and stick the aperature dial on minimum setting

Julian.;)

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/olympus/olympus_om40/olympus_om40.htm

This might also help goes into more detail about the various functions etc

Have fun

Hiya,

If you press the ESP button it knows exactly what shot you want to take, takes it for you and processes it perfectly :D

Back