courier companies name your worst

Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
currently waiting on a couple of deliveries via courier companies ..

first one a lens posted last Friday via MY HERMES with tracking number last track info on Monday night when it entered there system and now flagging up with there is a problem with your delivery .no further info ....

second one not due yet (fri) but a adaptor coming via yodel again tracking number supplied but apparently a different firm have picked it up and taking it to yodel .

both companies have what I would call at best placation websites where you enter the parcel number and it tells you they have the parcel but then just keep you hoping it will appear .if I send stuff its via Royal Mail either signed for or special delivery never yet had a problem .I would rather pay more for a viable service than leave it in the hands of joke delivery companies

please tell us your horror stories

I've not got any horror stories tbh, but I tend to use Royal Mail mainly.
I've also used DPD fairly regularly and not had any issues.
I avoid companies that say they use Hermes.

Over the years.

FedEx, DPD, DHL, Royal Mail, Parcel Force, UK Mail on the whole have been fine........even Amazon's own system ones have fine.

However, the very few involving Hermes or Yodel have had annoying issues.

I can only surmise that the first mentioned list have higher costs compared to the latter two couriers. So, we the customer of the supplier get the "service they pay for......" and sadly(?) It seems that the supplier would rather handle the customer complaints after the event than use a courier with a higher chance of fewer problems!

Last edited:
Herpes and Yoda

everything else has been great, DPD and Parcelfarce particularly so.

Get quite a lot of stuff delivered and had no issues really- touch wood- Amazon are quite late afternoon/evening sometimes though. Hermes local courier is very good, delivers around 9:30/10 am. DPD are good giving the delivery time slot

Hermes seems to be reasonable at delivering to my home, but at the start of the year I had a series of about a dozen e-bay wins sent to my work (where there is always someone in). Not a single one was delivered, they were held at the local depot (ignoring any requests to redirect) then returned to the seller!
When the parcels were dropped of at the sellers e-bay then showed them as delivered! Fortunately I've managed to get refunds on some, others the seller has resent via Royal Mail (at slightly increase cost to me) and a few have been resent to the collect service at the Argos branch that's less than a mile from my work. I'm still waiting for a lens they returned all the way to Germany!

Hermes. As a fairly frequent eBay (etc) seller, I reckon about 3-5% don’t get delivered as they should. I posted something to a mainland UK address a while back only to be told by the buyer the item hadn’t been delivered after 10 days or so. Hermes are virtually impossible to communicate with but after another week or so the item was delivered back to me with the Hermes tracking website stating that the complaint had been resolved and parcel delivered successfully!

I couldn’t be bothered to mess about any more and paid R.Mail to deliver it. :confused:

update it looks like the yodel one is out for delivery today (allegedly) but the myhermes one is still showing as (there's a problem with your delivery) but what ??? we shall see

Whilst at one time, when I saw that the retailer had used DPD I would feel reassured that it would be delivered when promised, but last year I had a couple of problems with them. On both occasions there was an apparent 'Problem with my delivery' with it seemingly stuck at the central hub. One item was posted by the retailer on a Tuesday to arrive next day, but it was Friday before it came to my local depot. To make matters worse, because it was next working day delivery, they wouldn't put it on the van till Mon morning. I've had a couple of DPD deliveries since then, all without problem, but I don't feel the same confidence about them that I did. Funnily enough I've never had a problem with Hermes, perhaps its down to the reliability of the driver and mine seems ok. Royal Mail also, never had a RMSD failure.

Worst = Hermes
Best = Royal Mail & DPD

The DPD app is worth downloading, even gives you the drivers name!

well the yodel one turned up ,a e.bay purchase but turned out to be faulty so on its way back . now bought another different brand from amazon

Now we’ve moved we tend to get the same drivers each time for all the couriers. This helps as they know where to leave stuff. Dpd are very good and our driver dan is very helpfull. The yodel driver is good, Royal Mail bloke is good and I often see him the Chinese takeaway. The Hermes one is grumpy, she comes to our neighbour down the lane everyday so shes here anyway so not sure why.
Even the amazon ones are generally good, although we can tell when the usual Ones are away and it’s someone new as things get left in weird places.
my wife had some problems with apd recently, but I’ve had the opposite. The usual guy rings me before he gets here to see if I’m in and if not, he’ll continue his round and do us on the way back to depot.
I can’t remember who it was now, but last year when we had about 3 foot of snow, one of the couriers loaded his 4x4 and went on his round. He got here about 10pm after leaving at 7am that morning and still had more he was trying to do. That’s dedication for you.

Herpes is my worst.

Emails come from "My Herpes" (it is not my Herpes. I did not ask for it and don't bloody well want it) saying they have a parcel for me. They never say what parcel or who it is from. I could be expecting several.

Herpes - the local "delivery" agent seems to think that a photo of the inside of his pocket of where he's left it while we were out (spoiler alert, there's always someone home) is acceptable (and Herpes customer service agreed because the photo exists despite the item going AWOL and it having no resemblance to his story - and could have been taken on the moon).

His past triumphs are in the bin (the residual waste bin, the manky one with the food waste, vacuum cleaner bags etc), in the recycling bin that was out for collection (caused the bin not to be emptied on one occasion and on another it was emptied).

I'm pretty sure he's on a scheme for care in the community or similar but anyway I now refuse to deal with anyone that might use Herpes and make an active point of telling them why I will not deal with them if Herpes is involved (and remind them that Herpes is delivering their reputation.

Last edited:
Seems like herpes are the worst ,my lens hasn’t shown up on tracking since Monday night . Took out a e.bay delivery problem but got to give it time

I ordered a lens hood off Amazon once, to be delivered by Hermes.
Twice told it was taken back because "nobody was home" when I was in both days. Asked for redelivery, and next day it was "delivered to a safe place" even though I had been in and nobody knocked. Couldn't find the package anywhere; eventually I claimed on Amazon and they sent out a new one via RM. After a few weeks, the neighbours down the road in #23 brought the original item to me, in #16. It had been dumped in their ( dry obviously labeled #23) porch while they were away on holiday.

I had a delivery this week from Sports Direct using Hermes. They sent me a text message and email with a time for delivery and who it was from. Fair do's they were an hour late but still their service , for me at least, seems as good as any of the others. Now, don't get me started on UK Mail!

Yodel
Had a large heavy parcel delivered whilst I was out and my daughter excepted it. It clearly said lay flat but they placed it on its smallest end against the wall inside our front door and left, as he slammed the door shut it slid down the wall hitting the UPVC door smashing the door and wedging its self against the stairs and door.

£300 later they paid up but it was a fight.

well my Hermes lost my lens .. admitted it ... seller has refunded me by e.cheque awaiting it to be cleared

I am an occasional unpaid courier for Amazon's own delivery service. Every so often, they deliver stuff to me that belongs to one of several vaguely similar addresses in the next street. It's easier to drop it off at the correct address than to arrange for it to be picked up and redelivered. Last time the package wouldn't fit through their letterbox, so I knocked and handed it to the recipient without explanation - they must have assumed I was the delivery guy, but didn't offer to tip me. On another occasion Amazon put a card through my letterbox, informing me that my package had been delivered to the recycling bin. Apart from the obvious issue with just chucking the parcel in the bin, this was problematic because (a) they had no way of knowing which of the dozen or so recyling bins in the vicinity belonged to me and (b) I hadn't actually ordered anything. A quick search didn't find the parcel, so I assume someone never got their item. Finally, I ordered a £500 item, to be picked up a collection point in a shop Amazon was partnering with at the time. It never arrived and had to be refunded.

Amazon's own branded vans have an interesting approach to parking, even in an otherwise empty road...

Amazon Prime delivery van on pavement outside school TZ70 P1030510.JPGAmazon Prime delivery van on pavement outside school TZ70 P1030511.JPG

Last edited:
Turning this on its head somewhat - my favourite courier company ever was CityLink - not because they were great but because of their total ineptitude.

Picture the scene, I'd ordered my first L lens. An EF 80-200 f/2.8L - and it was to be delivered via CityLink.

The delivery day duly arrived and I arrived home to the yellow card... Usually meaning that I was on a return trip past work to the remotest dodgiest industrial estate in an area of the city usually gripped by riots or other low level criminal disobedience, but no "your parcel is on the back step"

Heart sank, it was tipping down with rain and the back step was in full view of a row of houses. Went around to the back of the house and sure enough no bright yellow CityLink bag. Ah, well call the depot.

Toing & froing and eventually the depot manager agreed it was <expletive> stupid to leave it there and that he would support the claim for loss. I called around and got that in writing. Cutting short - they paid out the replacement cost in about 10 days.

I then went on a month long work trip... And when I got back the neighbour knocked on the door "sorry it's been so long but just before I went on holiday, I noticed this parcel on your back step..."

Did the honest thing and called CityLink CS who had no idea what to do about it... Eventually told me the case was already settled so if I could just dispose of the lens, that would be fine o_O

Wasn't a total shock when they went belly up.

well my Hermes lost my lens .. admitted it ... seller has refunded me by e.cheque awaiting it to be cleared

Good that you're getting the refund, the original owner will have some difficulty with claiming though as hermes don't cover lenses!

Had quite a few issues over the years with various courier companies.

Amtrak took 3 extra days to deliver a parcel because they couldn't find the property the address was allocated to. Big letters on the parcel saying "DELIVER TO POST OFFICE" and a shop completely branded with POST OFFICE banners and signs on a high street.

DPD's delivery schedule used to allocate routes by [high street], [town]. Unfortunately alphabetically all our parcels ended up going to [high street], [village] [town] because they didn't use the postcode. In the end the driver for months had to drive to village, scan the parcel and sign as delivered, then drop it off at our address because DPD tech support couldn't fix the issue.

Hermes lies of the month top that though. Scanned a parcel as delivered but the customer claimed the parcel never arrived. Usually it's the customer trying to get a freebie but Hermes' reputation means we have to follow up. Next day we get a GPS location nowhere near the address but the driver says it was delivered. A few hours later the tracking updates with a new scan and "delivered" (how it was scanned again when it was posted is a mystery). We contact the customer to find it still hasn't been delivered, as Hermes have already lied once we follow up again. This time the GPS is closer to the property but still a good 10min walk away, asked for a photo of the property where it was delivered to. Day 3, tracking is updated with a 3rd scan saying "parcel delivered". Contacted Hermes again who couldn't explain how the same parcel has supposedly been delivered three times (scanned every time) with a signature (different every time) and the customer still has no parcel. Hermes admit they have no idea what's going on and refund the package contents. Replacement sent by RM.

Royal Mail costs us 10p more per parcel and we get less tracking details, but the amount of failed deliveries has dropped nearly 80%

MY HERPES delivered one item about 3 months late, most of the other just a week or two overdue. Most of them f*** up in some way. I particularly hate it when they put things into the bin or underneath that dirty bin even when I am in!

Before we moved to our current small town I would have said that Hermes, Yodel, and XPD were equally dreadful. However, now even Amazon’s own couriers are fine. Best are Royal Mail and DPD. Being a small town we are on first-name terms with most drivers (not Amazon - never had the same driver twice).

Back