Courses/Training

Edit My Images
Yes
Without wishing to wind any professionals up, if someone was serious about sports photography and wanted to learn how to work live pitchside, how would they go about it? I see it can be a non negotiable for agencies and wondered how the skills were learnt.

Without wishing to wind any professionals up, if someone was serious about sports photography and wanted to learn how to work live pitchside, how would they go about it? I see it can be a non negotiable for agencies and wondered how the skills were learnt.
Go out and learn your craft. Practice makes perfect.

Pro footballers learn by playing on parks for years, refs work their way up from parks through lower leagues to the EFL, guess how you can get to shoot, be welcome and learn the craft.

Most local leagues will welcome someone shooting great images.

Or if you already have a portfolio, approach bigger clubs and ask if you can work with the academy, build your skills and you might find yourself pitchside with the first team in no time.

Pro footballers learn by playing on parks for years,

That's incredibly rare these days. The Ian Wright story is highly unlikely to happen in the modern sports world.

Most players are talent scouted and in academies by the age of 14 - which is why there is such a call at the moment to provide support for those that have been through the system and have failed to sign for a club.

That's incredibly rare these days. The Ian Wright story is highly unlikely to happen in the modern sports world.

Most players are talent scouted and in academies by the age of 14 - which is why there is such a call at the moment to provide support for those that have been through the system and have failed to sign for a club.
All those kids were playing on parks when they were 6 though.

The point I was making is valid without looking for players that were still playing park football at 19.

As you question is to learn how to work live pitchside I would say YouTube is you friend.... You will need "photomechanic" as your software.. thats your first step and youtube will show you what to do.

Thanks for your time. I was referring to using laptops, and working with photos pitchside once they have been taken. I will search Youtube as suggested. I chose not to post in Talk Sport as it appeared quiet.
Thanks again

Thanks for your time. I was referring to using laptops, and working with photos pitchside once they have been taken. I will search Youtube as suggested. I chose not to post in Talk Sport as it appeared quiet.
Thanks again
If you aren't familiar with Photo Mechanic, I recently linked to a video in another thread, that might be useful to get a feel for why Sports Photographers use PM

Once you get to Jeff Vogan's youtube channel you will find many videos on using PM, most, if not all with a Sports slant., But there are several other Youtube sites that are equally useful and google should find them.

If you aren't familiar with Photo Mechanic, I recently linked to a video in another thread, that might be useful to get a feel for why Sports Photographers use PM

Once you get to Jeff Vogan's youtube channel you will find many videos on using PM, most, if not all with a Sports slant., But there are several other Youtube sites that are equally useful and google should find them.

This is interesting, thank you.

Back