Covid Masks and Glasses

I don't have much, these seemed most relevant? I can't upload the HSE PDF so I've screenshot two parts. Maybe this will help with choosing the best mask if you wear glasses?

Masks.jpg

HSE1.jpg

HSE2.jpg

taken from the HSE guidelines "Respiratory Protective Equipment at Work" page 29. Disposable half mask respirators. and lists FFP1, 2 & 3 and says fit testing is required. Anybody else care to back up their statements with facts?

Link: https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/books/hsg53.htm

I mean I can just quote one word............ "guidance" <drops mike smiley>
I don't know what field you work in, but generally HSE guidance is taken as "this is what you will do" Especially as the guidance ties into legislation.

A bit like the highway code, whilst in itself is not law it ties into law and would be used to judge standards for road use.

Turn it another way if the sh!t hit the fan you would have to have very good reason not to have followed HSE guidance.

I don't know what field you work in, but generally HSE guidance is taken as "this is what you will do" Especially as the guidance ties into legislation.

I work in neonatal intensive care, the one where we regularly nurse prone and regularly give dexamethasone (ironically).

But again, guidance and is very much NOT "this is what you will do" so I'm unclear what point you are trying to make as in the real world thats NOT how it works.

A bit like the highway code, whilst in itself is not law it ties into law and would be used to judge standards for road use.

LOL, seriously?

Turn it another way if the sh!t hit the fan you would have to have very good reason not to have followed HSE guidance.

Hmmm yeah, cos I wouldn't be able to do that eh? :thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Donnie, I respect where you are coming from, but I stand by my comments.

An interesting thread. I'm having to wear a mask more now, an it's a pain steaming up my glasses too. Last was photographing a BLM march. When further back using a longer lens I would pull the mask down over my chin. It soon became a poor fit. During winter I use Calotherm, it's really good stopping glasses and lenses from steaming up, but couldn't find the spray for recent use. It's been around for a long time. Have some more on order.

I had forgotten about using washing up liquid mentioned earlier. Now remembering it being used on motorcycle helmet visors.

Last edited:
FFP1 does not need to be fit tested, this is your surgical type mask for protection against droplet and dust size particles. They have a leakage from the environment of up to 22% to the person wearing it.
FFP2 does not need to be fit tested, this is commonly used in hospital environment for protection against influenza and in some areas currently coronavirus, like Ive been wearing the last 5 days in a row as our patients are either ventilated or on CPAP / Hi flow but not known covid positive. They have a leakage from the environment of up to 8% to the person wearing it.
FFP3 does need fit testing (which is why Im incredulous at them being sold by the likes of screwfix to be honest) and these filter 99% of very fine particles and aerosols and have a leakage of less than 2% from the external environment. Hence these are for active covid / TB / asbestos etc.
Do you have anything to confirm this as correct?

Part of it is knowledge through training and I also had found a website that repeated it which I cannot find now,but even the HSE website talks about FFP3 only and the requirement for fit testing. https://www.hse.gov.uk/coronavirus/ppe-face-masks/face-mask-ppe-rpe.htm
It's the fact that it's a tight fit respirator/mask that makes it a requirement to fit test, not whether its FFP1, 2 or 3.
Most tight fit masks will be FFP3, but some can be FFP2 and 1.

Previous links to the HSE site have shown a requirement to face fit tight fitting FFP1, 2 and 3 yet you chose to ignore that and post your own link that mentions FFP3, :thinking:
although it does actually say "Tight-fitting respirators (such as disposable FFP3 masks and reusable half masks)"
Doesn't say only FFP3, or not FFP1 or FFP2.

Last edited:
when going diving we used to spit in our masks and swill it about, stopped it fogging up. Maybe a quick spit on your specs and a wipe over will sort it out if you don't happen to have soapy water nearby.

Part of it is knowledge through training and I also had found a website that repeated it which I cannot find now,but even the HSE website talks about FFP3 only and the requirement for fit testing. https://www.hse.gov.uk/coronavirus/ppe-face-masks/face-mask-ppe-rpe.htm

The problem is Donnie your experience is in the healthcare field. It is not the same in most other industries. As I have already provided a link to.

If you look at the link to the poster on the page you linked it says "have you passed a fit test for this disposable respirator".

I wore a mask for the 1st time today and my glasses didn't steam up at all, neither did Mrs F's.

The only thing I can think of is that we use THESE to clean them.

So, what type of mask does the op have? Lol

A white one... thats cloth and washable and some light blue throwaway ones :)

I wear below the nose to stop my glasses steaming up..... defeats the object? well I am not wearing out of choice but because told to... the job I did i never went within 15 feet of anyone..... well sorry i tell i a lie.. the closest i came to anyone was when i arrived and someone handed me a bottle of water and a free mask.....

With glasses and hearing aids my home made masks have elastic to go around head rather than ears. It is too easy to knock aids off with loops around ears.

...and have a thought for those of us who wear glasses AND hearing aids. Add in the elastic loops from a mask and our poor old ears begin to have difficulty in carrying everything!

Anthony
Same problem when I can be arsed with the hearing aids , got a couple of round the head fixing masks on order ,hopefully they might work . Elastic ones over my ears also make my glasses Loose and I feel Like bloody dumbo

You can run a strip of miro pour tape along and overhanging the top edge of a "surgical" stylr mask and basically stick it to your face. Not pretty but does work as clealry it blocks damp air exiting over the top of the mask.

A white one... thats cloth and washable and some light blue throwaway ones :)

I wear below the nose to stop my glasses steaming up..... defeats the object? well I am not wearing out of choice but because told to... the job I did i never went within 15 feet of anyone..... well sorry i tell i a lie.. the closest i came to anyone was when i arrived and someone handed me a bottle of water and a free mask.....

I've some home made washable ones and a dart either side of the nose helped with steaming up a lot as it cut the shape closer to my cheeks :)

Same problem when I can be arsed with the hearing aids , got a couple of round the head fixing masks on order ,hopefully they might work . Elastic ones over my ears also make my glasses Loose and I feel Like bloody dumbo

Use mask extenders, you can buy them cheap enough or make your own (y)

Had the two I ordered arrive on Saturday ingrid ,so ready If needed

Back