Daily Cowmageddons 366 Challenge 2012

I have been taking shots every day but just not updating here so heres a catchup on the past few days.

Quite varied and trying to see pictures in different things, as well as trying different styles.

003 - Homemade Wensleydale Cheese Scones

003 - Cheese Scones by Cowmageddon, on Flickr

004 - I felt sick after this, the things we do for photography

004 - Over indulgence by Cowmageddon, on Flickr

005 - Roundhay Park Bandstand - taken on our brilliant wire wool spinning night (must process those)

005 - The bandstand by Cowmageddon, on Flickr

006 - Homemade macro tube experiment

006 - Symmetry by Cowmageddon, on Flickr

Comments welcome, thanks for looking!

Last edited:
HWest said:
I really like #5 and can't put my finger on exactly why.

Very impressed with the results of your homemade macro tube. As I currently don't have any macro equipment, care to share your secret?

yes, I'm on the scrounge again.

I'm with you, 5 is good and a lovely setting.

I really like #5 and can't put my finger on exactly why.

Very impressed with the results of your homemade macro tube. As I currently don't have any macro equipment, care to share your secret?

yes, I'm on the scrounge again.

It is made up of a camera body cap and a lens cap with a empty roll of cling film as the tube bit. About 2-3 inches long. Will take a picture so you can see as I am not explaining it very well.

MWHCVT said:
Day 4 looks really nice I want one, I want to know was it coffee or hot chocolate, I'm hoping for the latter as that's what I fancy just now

Its white hot chocolate. Very very nice to start with, very very sickly as the end.

A few more pictures, bring us nearly up to date.

007 - It was Alex's birthday on the 7th so only fitting I took a picture of her, our dog (last years birthday present) wouldnt get out of the way or sit nicely! Never work with animals!!

007 - One woman and her dog by Cowmageddon, on Flickr

008 - Wedding Ring - with the homemade extension tubes again. May reshoot this one in the future, when I get some proper tubes!

008 - The One Ring by Cowmageddon, on Flickr

009 - The dog again, they can look up!

009 - Dogs can look up... by Cowmageddon, on Flickr

Righty...what have we got here.

001, I like the close crop and how the 60 is on the upper right third. I had a quick edit and dropped the exposure and bumped the blacks to give it more contrast and it seemed to improve.

002, saw this a while ago and thought I'd commented. It's a good photograph. Nice DOF, nice detail and great lighting on the top. For me, though, I'm not keen on the central placement. Another idea would be to try and get lower and photograph upwards showing more of the underside...??

003, scones...who doesn't like a good scone..home made?? for some reason in the arts things look better when presented in odd numbers...don't know why. The focus is an issue, that is the front is OOF. Looks very orange as well.

004, 'Over indulgence'...never...:D Lighting looks fine..Just the blue in the upper right that draws my attention away from the coffeeeeee or chocolate...well composed.

005, looks familiar...:thinking: nice and symetrical, but central.

006, eeekkk, looks like a scene from Alien. Nice colours and symetrical. Now in this one the central placement works well. The top white thingy looks a tad over exposed on my laptop. The black section at the bottom..difficult to get rid off possibly without cropping part of the flower.

007, eye contact...nice....but (I sound like a broken record!) central again. Looks well exposed.

008, yeyyy, off centre...(y) now if you compare a central placement with this one....which do you prefer. I've never used extention tubes. I've used a £5 reversing ring and damn..it was hard to get focus. It is soft, but I do like the shadow and bokeh on the lower right.

009, B&W works well and nice narrative to the photograph.

Now, these are just my thoughts....I'm sure you'll improve.

I tell you, it isn't going to be easy. I managed to do to 100 in my Costa 365 (it's on here somewhere...(y)) and I found it very hard to maintain. I don't think choosing such a narrow project matter helped. I was thinking about the project all the time.

I did buy a nice moleskin notebook and jotted down any and all ideas. I had about 40 Costa ideas in there when I concluded the project but couldn't physically finish the 365.

I'm sure you'll get there. You have a nice range of ideas so far. Think macro, colours, contrast, texture, motion, lines, curves, text, single/multiple objects, balance, curves, simple/complex, clear/ambiguous, movement, etc...

If I could recommend a book it would by this one...linky. It's a cracking read. I'll try and remember to bring it along this weekend...:woot: :banana:

Cheers.

Thanks very much for that Andy, for some bizarre reason I'd not noticed that most of them were central - for the rest of the challenge I shall try my best to make sure everything is off centre! ;)

Good idea about the notebook, I usually think of things while I'm at work and forget them by the time I have a chance to have a go!

Posiview said:
Now, these are just my thoughts....I'm sure you'll improve.
Hopefully, that's why I'm doing the damned challenge in the first place and why I appreciate the critique!

Thanks again

A jaffa would go down really nice right about now! :jaffa:

Thanks for the comment Matt. I've done a couple like that with varying alcohol bottles (happen to have them laying around :whistle:) and like what you can do with them.

Time to catch-up. This weekend I have suffered the cold in Cumbria on the TP 52er 2011 meet. Had a brilliant time and gave me a great opportunity to take some different photos.

013 - The guiding star by Cowmageddon, on Flickr

Its a sparrow in disguise, honest! Its not another Robin photo....

014 - Robbin' Robin by Cowmageddon, on Flickr

015 - Crystals by Cowmageddon, on Flickr

Last edited:
Very strange knowing when and where they were taken...:nuts:

#14, I think a central positioning would work better :exit: Composition works well. Nice detail and eye contact as well. I did a quick edit and will post if yiu want.

#15, nice minimal photograph with nice layers. Star above the cross sets it off well. Is the horizon straight? Lower left looks a tad lighter :thinking:

#16, well exposed, nice detail and shadows.

Cheers and keep it up (y)

BTW, thanks again for the lift an the weekend.

#14, I think a central positioning would work better :exit:
:bang:

Composition works well. Nice detail and eye contact as well. I did a quick edit and will post if yiu want.
Please do - I had several edits so would be interested to see what you've done!

#15, nice minimal photograph with nice layers. Star above the cross sets it off well. Is the horizon straight? Lower left looks a tad lighter :thinking:

I think so, it's just that the landscape wasn't level and sloped off... honest!

#16, well exposed, nice detail and shadows.

Cheers and keep it up (y)

Thanks very much!
BTW, thanks again for the lift an the weekend.
No problem, was nice to have some company!

Back