Create Your Own Sunset Grad Filters

Edit My Images
Yes
Inspired by last nights stunning sunset afterglow sky colours I wondered if you could take pictures of these skies and then use them later to create interesting effects in Photoshop.

1) Take some pictures of the post-sunset sky colour and use the GAUSSIAN BLUR filter to make them uniform and free of noise. Use the COPY function to make a copy of your sky grad image in memory.
Img_2798.jpg

Img_2804.jpg

2) Find a suitable picture that might make an interesting sillouette- I started with photo of a windmill. The sky is fairly burned out- for this project that's a good thing.
Img_2593.jpg

3) To make the sillouette you'll need to convert the image to 1 bit colour depth (i.e. black & white pixels only). In Paintshop this is the DECREASE COLOUR DEPTH function.
Blue4-1.jpg

4) Now promote the 1 bit image to 256 bits using INCREASE COLOUR depth- this will enable you to use other functions on the image.

5) Import the copied sky colour image as a new layer- PASTE AS NEW LAYER works in Paintshop.

6) In the layers sub-menu you can choose how to merge the two images by changing the BLEND MODE. For this exercise DARKEN works best. Finally combine the two images using MERGE or FLATTEN.

Sunset windmills!
windmillsillouette2.jpg

windmillsillouette.jpg

That is nice and clear, so clear even I can understand it Thanx and its a good idea too (y)

Thanks, I might have to try that :)

(although I was hoping you were actually describing how to make an ND Grad filter to shoot through...)

Aye, great tutorial and very nice end result!

Back