Credit Card Fraud, a warning

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
I have always thought I was pretty careful with my cards and details - but today I found out that I have been a victim of unscrupulous people who have somehow got a hold of my credit card details.

It has also been confirmed by the fraud team at my card issuer that the fraudsters know my address and the last 3 numbers on the signature strip so they either have access to the computer details at one of the few places I use my credit card (almost exclusively online really but even then only a very few places - except for putting fuel in the car) or they have physically seen/held my card.

Please, be careful with your details and be extra vigilant with what you throw away - make sure you shred all paperwork showing your address, card and bank details or any other information that can be used to commit fraud.

So has everything been fixed? Or are you stuck with a large bill not of your own making (strange how criminals like buying camera lenses...)

As far as I am aware I am covered against the fraudulent transactions. The card company are sending me a letter so that I can indicate which are fraudulent and which are genuine and then we go from there.

I would like to get my hands on the thieving scrotes though :(

Braeden said:
As far as I am aware I am covered against the fraudulent transactions. The card company are sending me a letter so that I can indicate which are fraudulent and which are genuine and then we go from there.

I would like to get my hands on the thieving scrotes though :(

Damn thats bad news mate !

Mind you, couold always slip on the form and get some money off soemthing ;)

had my barclaycard fleeced before now, and also have my switch card cloned. Bank sorted it straight away, still waiting on barclaycard to confirm that i dont actully shop in america.....

one of my "transactions" was in italy today... as far as I am aware, I was at work in Bradford :) However the other was in Argos in Cheshunt

Would have preferred to be in italy than Bradford I can tell you :D

Braeden said:
one of my "transactions" was in italy today... as far as I am aware, I was at work in Bradford :) However the other was in Argos in Cheshunt

Would have preferred to be in italy than Bradford I can tell you :D

i dare say ! lol could you not say, do i look like the sort of person who shops in Argos ! really ! lol

My daughters First Direct debit card got cloned. They sorted her out within a week - credited back about £250 and sent her a new card. Very run of the mill to them... a bit scary for her.

Don't ever let your credit card out of your sight. Don't let anyone take it away - which frequently happens when you remain at your table in restaurants. Get up and pay at the desk.

:D I managed without a credit card for years, but finally got one for just that reason, not all internet sites accept Switch cards, and sending personal cheques is slow and painful.

CT said:
Don't ever let your credit card out of your sight. Don't let anyone take it away - which frequently happens when you remain at your table in restaurants. Get up and pay at the desk.

When we eat out I always do that, or pay in cash. I am at a bit of a loss as to where they got my details as my online purchases are with reputable people - amazon and warehouse express are the main ones. I always pay for my fuel on the CC and other than that the only other use is a very occasional paypal payment.

Still the card has been stopped so they can't use it anymore. The card company actually noticed at approx 3pm and blocked the account from that point. But the transactions actually started on the 11th so who knows how many others are not yet showing up :(

Braeden said:
When we eat out I always do that, or pay in cash. I am at a bit of a loss as to where they got my details as my online purchases are with reputable people - amazon and warehouse express are the main ones. I always pay for my fuel on the CC and other than that the only other use is a very occasional paypal payment.

Still the card has been stopped so they can't use it anymore. The card company actually noticed at approx 3pm and blocked the account from that point. But the transactions actually started on the 11th so who knows how many others are not yet showing up :(

Nearly all of the cases i have personal experience of (ie people i know getting cloned) happened in petrol stations ! They have a seperate swipe under the counter, swipe the card, and checking the signature they can see the security code on the back, how they got the address is a bit beyond my not so sherlock holmes like skills though ! lol

I use the express pumps at Asda to refuel so never actually give my card to anyone. The card readers are very easily recognisable though so would never put my card into a machine that looked dodgy.

Well there's a huge assumption these days that it's internet fraud. Sometimes it is obviously, but a lot of it is still via people we come into physical contact with when paying for items. It isn't necessarily any reflection on the business itself but often it's dodgy employees who will take card detalis - it doesn't take long. Then of course there have been loads of bank cash dispensers hit by concealed cameras.

Petrol stations are particularly dodgy, it's true.

Braeden said:
I always pay for my fuel on the CC

I take it you havent heard about certain garages in Bradford that has been cloning credit cards in the past then..:(

That stopped me buying fuel in Bradford some time back..:nunu:

My mother had her cards details stolen somehow and used to buy the strangest things. A box of wine online, a Sky Subscription?? something from a catalogue. All traceable purchases though it still took ages for the bank to agree that they were all dodgy transactions, about 3 months before everything got sorted. My mother went as far as to close the bank account associated with that card and open a new one, she just didn't trust that the fraud was stopped.

She tried to tell some of the companies that appeared on her statement that they were being defrauded, some were ok and concerned but others (Like Sky) were unbelievably sh*tty with her about it.

the barclaycard account that got hit with me is am odd one, i havent used the card for over a year, the card itself was in the envelope as it was a replacement for the old out of date one, that sat in my wallet for months, i got it out when i got the statement, it was ok in there, so i have no idea how the details got out! I used it for the first time 2 days AFTER the first transaction, so pass

Matty said:
the barclaycard account that got hit with me is am odd one, i havent used the card for over a year, the card itself was in the envelope as it was a replacement for the old out of date one,

Hello Matty,

A dodgy postal worker opens the envelope (carefully) , copies the new card details, the registered address is on the envelope so he has that ! , then reseals the envelope and puts it back in the post to you, so you are non the wiser to what has happened.

The day the new card is vaild the criminals can use the new card details, (usually online as no chip and pin required online) but this does not show on your statement for 2 to 3 days, as thats how long the banking system takes.

( I have been the victim of this before)

Mark.

bastids.....never liked my postman, eyes to close together.....

no cc here, could do with it online, but i use business cheques and people like photobox seem to let them stand before they have had time to clear. So the waiting isnt too bad.

Hope they catch the a$$es that did it thoough.

a pants thats bad. i burn my old reciepts...best way to keep the house warm in winter too :)

Back