Criterium cycle race

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Last edited:
Edit My Images
No
Certainly gives a sense of speed and the panning is pretty good with the riders being isolated well :)

OP
OP
Matt0
Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Thanks, but trust me there are hundreds of failed attempts. I found the bracing my arms and panning with my whole upper body was the best way to keep up and down movement of the camera to a minimum and I then kept my focus point on the riders face and started shooting a few frames before the rider would be directly infront of me.

OP
OP
Matt0
Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm not a pro but I did look at these and just think 'Wow' so fair play.
Thanks, I'm really happy with the results.

Looks like you did a good job under difficult conditions. What kit did you use?
Cheers, I used a Nikon D7100 and two lenses over the event mainly a Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS and some with a Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS. I also used my Yongnuo flash for some of them on manual set to about 1/32 power I think I was shooting about f8-11. It was all very much trial and error.

TheBigYin

Staff member
Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
@Matt0 - did you make it to Barnsley last Wednesday... I decided to brave the elements, wasn't really "on a mission" to take photos, just wanted to enjoy the race. Great atmosphere, barely interfered with by the intermittent rain, and some great racing from both the "main events" (missed the "undercard", as I couldn't get away early.)

OP
OP
Matt0
Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
@Matt0 - did you make it to Barnsley last Wednesday... I decided to brave the elements, wasn't really "on a mission" to take photos, just wanted to enjoy the race. Great atmosphere, barely interfered with by the intermittent rain, and some great racing from both the "main events" (missed the "undercard", as I couldn't get away early.)
I couldn't make it in the end, date night happened instead. I saw a little clip of it on the local news and it looked like a really good event.

Nice panning Matt. I especially like the contrast on number 3
Great shots Matt, they really give a sense of speed, puts my panning shots to shame.
Thanks for the kind words guys, i'm itching to get out and photograph another event of some sort.

TheBigYin

Staff member
Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
I couldn't make it in the end, date night happened instead. I saw a little clip of it on the local news and it looked like a really good event.
It was, despite the weather... I managed to get a few pics - pity I didn't do the event justice, as I'm resolutely NOT a sports shooter (more used to still lifes and landscapes I can take hours to get composed to my satisfaction) but at least theres a few "record shots" here if anyones interested (they're not for critique BTW folks - not hijacking the thread - they're really not fit for publication on here as the regulars will quite rightly rip them to bits - I can see major faults in them myself, so experts would probably damage a rib laughing at how pathetic they are.)