Critique please - Friend & Jewelry

Name
Ned
Edit My Images
Yes
A friend is starting up a business making jewelry by breaking down old broken stuff and remaking it. I shot her sisters wedding so she asked if I'd help by taking some photos for the website, which I was happy to.

Anyway, the model is a friend (never modeled before) and we were limited to a suburban house with conservatory and a small bit of 'woods' nearby (although it was mega wet) so the backgrounds aren't quite as I'd like but I would love some comments and advice, especially on PP which I know little about (also bear in mind the focus was meant to be the jewelry).

4420134319_11299153f1.jpg

4420906476_401bbdc489.jpg

4420906220_564d764e87.jpg

4420139917_6d6a35de76.jpg

4420136309_9dcc2cf763.jpg

Rest of set here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/awty/sets/72157623587901712/

Last edited:
Foget using tilts is my first advice........

I had a look at your flickr page, and I feel that you didn't choose your best pics to post in here.

Most of them look quite nice to me, but sadly the focus doesn't alwasy seem to be on the jewellery. I'm no expert on that, but my best advice would be to try and have a look at some jewel ads and let those guide you.

Apart from that, the one I love most is the first one, in particular the crop and the DOF give it something extra.

Foget using tilts is my first advice........

Fair enough :D I tend to quite like them but in this case it was generally about (a) fitting everything in the frame (b) keeping most of the crap in the background out and (c) looking between branches :LOL:

I had a look at your flickr page, and I feel that you didn't choose your best pics to post in here.

Most of them look quite nice to me, but sadly the focus doesn't alwasy seem to be on the jewellery. I'm no expert on that, but my best advice would be to try and have a look at some jewel ads and let those guide you.

Apart from that, the one I love most is the first one, in particular the crop and the DOF give it something extra.

Thanks for the feedback - I should say that this is my first attempt at this kind of thing and also the model was rather shy and I wasn't great at getting her to 'perform' (well, she's never done this before either). Most of the shots where the jewelry was the focus her expressions weren't the best - it was only "in between" shots that she looked relaxed enough in the face.

From the link to your flickr set, I got the impression it was more of a wedding/portraiture business than a jewellery business, and they were nice and well composed!

There is a jewellery group pool and a diamond jewellery group pool that has some good shots on black perspex type platforms. Emphasises the silver. Just some ideas to base your composition around.

Last edited:
The first piccy you posted on here and pics like #17 and 18 on your flickr page emphasise the jewellery much more than some of the others where the jewellery become less important than the model.
The links given by viewfinder look good, but I take it your client wants them displayed on a person?

The main focus is the tiaras and their target audience is brides so I guess that's close enough :D

I also have tons of photos that were taken on black perspex that look very similar to the links posted (although I could do with a proper macro lens), I just didn't think it would be very interesting to post them :)

The brief for the model pics was to sell the image of a happy bride that just happened to be wearing the clients jewelery (client seems an odd thing to say, I did it for a favour, but I guess I really should consider her as such).

Feedback is much appreciated :)

(y) They are good shots, so I think more than fine for marketing shots. If your friend intends on using them for product sales, they either inset macro shots or an option to zoom in to the jewellery would be useful, but that's more of a thought for your friend/client...

Back